Cadets webcast

What am I missing here ? What is not registering in my brain, or those that create this fodder ????

Cadets brass, Cadets percussion, world class, innovative and cutting edge, worthy to be labeled the best in the world and consitently near the top or on top for over twenty years.

This silly, sophmoric narration is a theme that a grade school cast would perform in a play with a limited budget and half-commited students creating the props and the dialogue. It just doesnt fit, last year was not well received and here we are again getting not a newer or more improved version to compliment the world class corps, we are getting more trite, aggrivating schlock.

I understand fully well drum corps has evolved, it may not be for me and is aiming at another audience, but its simple, very simple, this is not anything anyone is going to drop their jaws at, run and buy a t-shirt for or remember in years to come favorably. Its not music, it doesnt highlight or compliment any talent being used on the field, and nobody asked for it or yearned for it through the years.

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this. While I would rather not have to at all, there are (gasp!!) good examples of using amplified voice in a show if you are going to do it. For the second year in a row, the great innovators are once again lagging behind, bordering on laughable at the product they deem worthy of a world class, cutting edge marching musical unit.

Now should the narration be on the same level as the rest of the tried and true effort the rest of the corps consistently gives....who knows. This ?? Not in the same arena.

Sad.

Geoffrey

While I am pretty saddened by everything you said, I understand your passion. I kinda feel bad that a lot of people won't enjoy this show because of the vocals, and it saddens me that I see some old Cadets fans dumping them. I am going to keep an open mind about this year like I did last year but I have come to realize there is no point in trying to convince everyone else otherwise, so I will choose to respect what you and everyone else likes. Either way, GOOD LUCK CADETS!!!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't using a transcript of some of these stories and moments be more towards the ends the narration looks for?

I would say that actual experiences and ancedotes are a much more powerful emotional elixir than constructing maudlin moments out of the strawmen of "greed and having it all" or the one off about cancer and the survivor motif in what the text is now. It comes off as slightly disingenious to me. Not "Lifetime Movie Of the Week" scripted treacle, mind you . . .but still the text, well . . .lacks a certain something in its wordplay.

However, I suppose this is why I am not a show designer or creative consultant.

I wonder, though, if George . . .through all his contacts in the Northeast, might not have had some outlet to reach Ira Glass himself to have written the text to this show, even going so far as having the Cadets featured on "American Life" from the resulting synergy.

I thought I'd address. I believe in one of Michael Cesario's interviews on Field Pass he mentioned that The Cadets are looking for a "narration expert" of some sort. Now, he did not go into extensive detail as to what that meant, but did mention that it was because there were already a lot of re-writes to the script and they were apparently looking for more professional assistance. I have NO idea how that has played out, and if this current script is work that includes the expert/professional or not, but it does at least appear that they are trying to create a more professional approach to the development of this aspect of their show.

What am I missing here ? What is not registering in my brain, or those that create this fodder ????

Cadets brass, Cadets percussion, world class, innovative and cutting edge, worthy to be labeled the best in the world and consitently near the top or on top for over twenty years.

This silly, sophmoric narration is a theme that a grade school cast would perform in a play with a limited budget and half-commited students creating the props and the dialogue. It just doesnt fit, last year was not well received and here we are again getting not a newer or more improved version to compliment the world class corps, we are getting more trite, aggrivating schlock.

I understand fully well drum corps has evolved, it may not be for me and is aiming at another audience, but its simple, very simple, this is not anything anyone is going to drop their jaws at, run and buy a t-shirt for or remember in years to come favorably. Its not music, it doesnt highlight or compliment any talent being used on the field, and nobody asked for it or yearned for it through the years.

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this. While I would rather not have to at all, there are (gasp!!) good examples of using amplified voice in a show if you are going to do it. For the second year in a row, the great innovators are once again lagging behind, bordering on laughable at the product they deem worthy of a world class, cutting edge marching musical unit.

Now should the narration be on the same level as the rest of the tried and true effort the rest of the corps consistently gives....who knows. This ?? Not in the same arena.

Sad.

Geoffrey

it goes without saying YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET!!!

Geez man / season hasn't even started yet!!!

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this.

.... Your violin needs tuning my friend.

While I'm no huge fan of narration, I'm starting to find those constantly whining, bemoaning, crying and complaining about its use to be more insufferable than any talking during any show.

We get it. Your lives are ruined. Armageddon is upon the drum corps world and Hopkins himself is leading the Four Horsemen to a stadium near you to physically restrain you from getting a hot dog.

Honestly, it really is quite simple. Cadets are using narration in 08. You've had years to prepare yourself and formulate a game plan. If you are already so convinced that this year's show will suck, I suggest not being in the stadium when they perform. Get some earplugs if you can still hear them at the concession stand. Maybe look into some OTC medication to alleviate some of your pain.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's probably a few ways around your "suffering".

Edited by chaddyt