Cadets webcast

Hmmm, if ALL of that is actually in the show, then I feel it's a bit much. My first thought when seeing this script is a comment my dad made immediately following The Cadets' show in San Antonio last; he looked at me immediately and said, "Y'know, there's a GREAT show somewhere behind all that talking," and I find myself wondering if this year is going to be similar.

I, for one, feel that narration can be used effectively (such as BD 2005 and Crossmen 2006, where the use of voice was more like a radio host), but I feel that THIS much ends up explaining the theme as opposed to exploring the theme.

Now, they edited quite a bit from what I remember last year, and this is just the early version, so I'll be interested to see how this plays out over the summer. At the very least, based on the brief things I've seen and heard, there is no reason to think that they will struggle competitively. It seems that a number of people are willing to admit that this year's narration is at least better than last year's, and they almost won with it last year, so if all the other areas are as strong as what I've been hearing, they will still be in prime contention.

Yeah....keep in mind the amount of editing that occured last year. When I heard the narration last year at spring training it was downright terrible, and by finals most of it was berable... This year it seems like they're picking up where they left off - maybe by finals it will actually be awesome :smile:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . .also, because there's direct reference to Ira Glass and "American Life"; do George and company have approval from NPR and Glass to use that?

I suppose there's a way around it in calling it "an American Life" rather than "This American Life", but we've seen what happens when people want to enforce their copyrights (Kiwanis Beatles show comes to mind. . .)

This year I am fortunate to have two great corps having their spring training camps so close to home and will have the opportunity to see Cavaliers this weekend.(I hope!) Cavies are at Norwin High School in Pittsburgh and hopefully will be running rehersal this weekend. We hope not to drive two hours just to find out they are having laundry day. Well it was nice to have an early dose of Drum corps and I look forward to another this weekend. (Fingers Crossed)

Are you serious?!?! I work in Monroeville. I wish I had known they were right down the road. I'll have to find out how long they will be there and go see them.

Hmmm, if ALL of that is actually in the show, then I feel it's a bit much. My first thought when seeing this script is a comment my dad made immediately following The Cadets' show in San Antonio last; he looked at me immediately and said, "Y'know, there's a GREAT show somewhere behind all that talking," and I find myself wondering if this year is going to be similar.

I, for one, feel that narration can be used effectively (such as BD 2005 and Crossmen 2006, where the use of voice was more like a radio host), but I feel that THIS much ends up explaining the theme as opposed to exploring the theme.

Now, they edited quite a bit from what I remember last year, and this is just the early version, so I'll be interested to see how this plays out over the summer. At the very least, based on the brief things I've seen and heard, there is no reason to think that they will struggle competitively. It seems that a number of people are willing to admit that this year's narration is at least better than last year's, and they almost won with it last year, so if all the other areas are as strong as what I've been hearing, they will still be in prime contention.

I don't think BD 2005 was effectively used.

Anyway, you forget, this is preseason. There was a lot of narration last year, and they got rid of a lot of it by finals. I am sure as with everything else, they will do the same this year. I felt it was too much narration as well, but knowing Cadets, I'm sure they'll clean it up. I think this has the potential of being a fantastic show. We'll see.

I don't think BD 2005 was effectively used.

Agree to disagree?

Anyway, you forget, this is preseason.

Nope, didn't forget. In fact, I made a point of stating that "this is the early version and I'll be interested to see how this plays out over the summer."

There was a lot of narration last year, and they got rid of a lot of it by finals. I am sure as with everything else, they will do the same this year. I felt it was too much narration as well, but knowing Cadets, I'm sure they'll clean it up. I think this has the potential of being a fantastic show. We'll see.

Agree completely. The potential is definitely there; it will simply be a matter of how they apply it.

Cavaliers will be practicing at Norwin today (Friday) until 10 p.m.; Saturday until 5 p.m. and Sunday until 10 p.m. However, thunderstorms are forecast for Friday and Saturday. Hope this helps.

Edited by DrumFan1

What am I missing here ? What is not registering in my brain, or those that create this fodder ????

Cadets brass, Cadets percussion, world class, innovative and cutting edge, worthy to be labeled the best in the world and consitently near the top or on top for over twenty years.

This silly, sophmoric narration is a theme that a grade school cast would perform in a play with a limited budget and half-commited students creating the props and the dialogue. It just doesnt fit, last year was not well received and here we are again getting not a newer or more improved version to compliment the world class corps, we are getting more trite, aggrivating schlock.

I understand fully well drum corps has evolved, it may not be for me and is aiming at another audience, but its simple, very simple, this is not anything anyone is going to drop their jaws at, run and buy a t-shirt for or remember in years to come favorably. Its not music, it doesnt highlight or compliment any talent being used on the field, and nobody asked for it or yearned for it through the years.

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this. While I would rather not have to at all, there are (gasp!!) good examples of using amplified voice in a show if you are going to do it. For the second year in a row, the great innovators are once again lagging behind, bordering on laughable at the product they deem worthy of a world class, cutting edge marching musical unit.

Now should the narration be on the same level as the rest of the tried and true effort the rest of the corps consistently gives....who knows. This ?? Not in the same arena.

Sad.

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230

What am I missing here ? What is not registering in my brain, or those that create this fodder ????

Cadets brass, Cadets percussion, world class, innovative and cutting edge, worthy to be labeled the best in the world and consitently near the top or on top for over twenty years.

This silly, sophmoric narration is a theme that a grade school cast would perform in a play with a limited budget and half-commited students creating the props and the dialogue. It just doesnt fit, last year was not well received and here we are again getting not a newer or more improved version to compliment the world class corps, we are getting more trite, aggrivating schlock.

I understand fully well drum corps has evolved, it may not be for me and is aiming at another audience, but its simple, very simple, this is not anything anyone is going to drop their jaws at, run and buy a t-shirt for or remember in years to come favorably. Its not music, it doesnt highlight or compliment any talent being used on the field, and nobody asked for it or yearned for it through the years.

It has been four years now we have had to suffer through this. While I would rather not have to at all, there are (gasp!!) good examples of using amplified voice in a show if you are going to do it. For the second year in a row, the great innovators are once again lagging behind, bordering on laughable at the product they deem worthy of a world class, cutting edge marching musical unit.

Now should the narration be on the same level as the rest of the tried and true effort the rest of the corps consistently gives....who knows. This ?? Not in the same arena.

Sad.

Geoffrey

As much as I love the Cadets and what they stand for, I have to agree with you. I am very disappointed and frustrated with the direction they are headed with the narration. I'm not even going to mention the prop in the middle of the field that is supposed to be a living room, oh my! Could potentially be a waste of a championship caliber drum corps. I just don't see any entertainment value with narration as they choose to use it.

lHow ironic it will be that a show entitled "In Pursuit of Happiness" will probably make a lot of people unhappy

Could turn out to be a self-fulfilling title, like "Winged Victory"... :smile:

I bit my tongue on posting the "This American Life" that I had in my head after the show title was announced until after I found out what the narrative text of the show was . . .however, since it's out in a rough form already, please to enjoy (or not) the following:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=839

. . . "Pursuit Of Happiness" from 9/9/2000.

Wouldn't using a transcript of some of these stories and moments be more towards the ends the narration looks for?

I would say that actual experiences and ancedotes are a much more powerful emotional elixir than constructing maudlin moments out of the strawmen of "greed and having it all" or the one off about cancer and the survivor motif in what the text is now. It comes off as slightly disingenious to me. Not "Lifetime Movie Of the Week" scripted treacle, mind you . . .but still the text, well . . .lacks a certain something in its wordplay.

However, I suppose this is why I am not a show designer or creative consultant.

I wonder, though, if George . . .through all his contacts in the Northeast, might not have had some outlet to reach Ira Glass himself to have written the text to this show, even going so far as having the Cadets featured on "American Life" from the resulting synergy.

It would be a coup towards elevating the narrative elements in shows nowadays to have things borne not of the insular marching band/WGI/DCI design community and from those that are more eloquently spoken.

What would it be like if Sedaris wrote narrative text to this show? Chuck Pahlinuk? E. L. Doctorow? Eugenides? A local published author? What about Colt Foutz, writer of the "Building the Green Machine" book?

We play the music of so many of the orchestral and wind ensemble greats . . .would it hurt so much to make the spoken word we do its equivocal? The claim made of so many of these narratives since the rules were passed was to turn the activity on its ear; to make drum corps leap into the future . . .to add additional elements that enrich the experience, and create a cohesive artistic presentation.

It's time to deliver on that, no? :smile: