Cadets webcast

Webcast was on YEA's web site. Counted 12 tubas, 2 tenor holes. Had large guard with large rifle and sabre lines. It was hard to see guard work on small screen with only press box camera, but they seemed to be doing a lot. There was a big appreciative crowd there.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to pay to see this, right? :tongue:

Your comment? :tongue:

It's amazing that anyone would question when a corps employs creative fundraising techniques that offer great value to its donors; especially in a market where it costs the corps over $4,500 each time they fill their tanks.

Show some class.

It's amazing that anyone would question when a corps employs creative fundraising techniques that offer great value to its donors; especially in a market where it costs the corps over $4,500 each time they fill their tanks.

Show some class.

Yeah. But you're forgetting that every other corps out there broadcasts their show pre-season FOR FREE!!!!

[/sarcasm]

Show some class.

WOAH calm down.

I'm just anxious to see it, that's all.. I'd pay if I could!

sir(class)

Just got back from seeing the show live! Really enjoyed the musical book, nothing recognizable, however not hard to embrace. Classic sounding Cadets and the horn line played with pretty strong intonation and power for June. I am in no way a percussion expert but they looked and sounded pretty #### good. Some very nicley staged percussion segments layered with the colorguard. Crowd really enjoyed and reacted well to what they were seeing. The guard this year is leaps and bounds better than the start of last year. They really pack a nice punch with opening chain/swing flags, have some very nice weapon moments and seem to be staged really well with the corps. Probably more dancing from the guard than past few years. The dancing really worked well, had good energy and seemed to fit really well to the percussion throw down. I am not a fan of narraration but I was not going to let it bother me, and for the most part it did not. I guess I've just learned to block it out. All in all they have a pretty good package and I look forward to seeing it grow.

This year I am fortunate to have two great corps having their spring training camps so close to home and will have the opportunity to see Cavaliers this weekend.(I hope!) Cavies are at Norwin High School in Pittsburgh and hopefully will be running rehersal this weekend. We hope not to drive two hours just to find out they are having laundry day. Well it was nice to have an early dose of Drum corps and I look forward to another this weekend. (Fingers Crossed)

The Narration:

…. In Pursuit of Happiness

SARAH: Sometimes I wish I could just … XXX SNAP my fingers …. And I would be happy

<3 Seconds>

IRA … This week, An American Life, looks at Happiness. The idea is everywhere. In Books, Songs ….. At Harford, the best attended class is a lecture on How to Be Happy. It does appear that today more than ever, Americans are in pursuit of happiness.

BIG HIT

<33 Seconds>

IRA: Sarah Jones proved to be the most interesting of the many people we interviewed for this program Sarah is successful, married, has two of her own children, a great job, … and …… she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2006.

SARAH: I did the Chemo, the radiation …. It was a tough time. But… TODAY, I am well. I am a survivor. And I must say …. Life today …. What is important today … is different.

The cars, the home, the job, the money …. I really was chasing a dream. I wanted the good life. I wanted to have it all.

<4 Seconds>

IRA:

My name is Ira Glass and this is an AMERICAN LIFE!!! . In Happiness magazine folks were asked to rate their level of happiness on a scale of 1-10. The average of 47,000 responses …. 5.5

Tonight … we talk to Sarah Jones, and we take a look, At Happiness

Beginning of Nitro!

Brass entrance (Mellos)

Sarah: I loved going off to college. I was on my own. The dorms, the parties, doing what I wanted when I wanted! Now this was the life I’d been waiting for.

Brass Entrance (Trumpets)

Sarah: How could it be better than this? I DID go to class of course, but … Being independent, was just incredible. This was my dream come true

Percussion …. Then brass fanfare to the end of the hit ….

Before the accelerando

Sarah: But I never imagined how hard it would be to fit in. There were so many different kinds of people. And life was so fast … so incredibly fast …. It was tough to just keep up.

During transition material to the beginning of Round 4

(I need 15 seconds of music …. At 80 beats per minute … that’s only about 24 counts of transition music JAY!!!!

I do not think we need to say anything else …. … so we?

IRA: School and independence appear to go hand in hand for many people. But ... what also happens, sometimes at school, and sometimes later on, is a new pursuit … something a bit more exciting.

Sarah: Oh yes …. After a few years out of school I definitely went on the hunt for a man who could make be happy! Strong, smart, wealthy even … oh yes … I was definitely looking for the man of my dreams.

Tympani starts right at the release of the word dreams … if we want an additional line during the set up

Sarah: I hit the clubs on a weekly basis.

And away the tune goes …

No more talk through all of ROUND 4

Break before the beginning of VESUVIUS ---

(Music still to be created … will be in the spirit of Round 4 as it fades and transforms itself into VESUVIUS)

IRA: Sarah’s first marriage lasted three years.

Sarah: He was a wonderful man … he IS a wonderful man. And I was happy ….. it was fabulous ….. just wonderful …. But ….

IRA: Sarah went off to work and made a name for herself on Madison Avenue. It seemed she had a flair for the fashion world.

?I loved the job. The power, the speed, the perks … I just loved dressing in a suit, going to the office, being a part of all that was around me. Happy Hour, lunches, dinners, receptions, big meetings, and even bigger decisions (I need 15 seconds for this one ….. at 180 or so …. That’s 48 counts of groove.

We will start with the words … her marriage lasted three years – and then we step off. The only issue will be waiting for the crowd to die down.

VESUVIUS -- there may be some music adjustments here, due to time … but I am going to fill in per current layout ….

Where MELLO SOLO IS ---

Sarah …. I had always thought that MONEY …. Would make all of the difference

Mellos Answers …

Where Trumpet Feature is ….

Sarah …. I had everything I ever wanted. Everything!!!

Trumpet answers …

And then the build ….

Editors note … during the build , we need to bring to the visual table an endless array of images that would translate to success.

Transition down into the ballad …

Keyboard Ballad Conversation

Sarah – Holding a job on Madison avenue, and being a mother was not easy.

IRA … Sarah had remarried and had two children. I could sense as we talked that balancing work and family was a huge struggle for Sarah .. even 20 years later

Sarah …. I do love my daughters. I wanted to be there for them ...and I did get to games .. I saw my daughters at Cheerleading … I sent them off to the prom. I made the time. But …. Ohhhhhh …. The job was so intoxicating. It just felt so good.

( we turn all images back to work and money) …. Some kind of sequential …. During the brass deal would be great ….

And finally … during the build … the accelerando.

IRA …. Money, great Jobs, great clothes, Love, Independence … America seems to look for happiness through what we own!!!. We want it all! We want all we can hang onto.

And then we play all to the end of the tune

AND FINALLY.…. The EPILOUGUE

IRA --- So Sarah … Life has been quite interesting for you! But it sounds like …. You have discovered an answer. You actually sound happy.

Sarah -- Well, I think so.? I did what I did, and I loved it. If I have a regret, I think it’s that I never really enjoyed where I was … I was always looking at tomorrow.

IRA …. So what’s the secret? Is there a secret?

Sarah --- hmmm …. I think … for me … Happiness was really not a destination. It was always there … always a part of my life. I just needed to choose …. I needed to enjoy!!!! I can see now … I had a great life. I HAVE A GREAT LIFE

Some break for music ….

And as it winds down …

IRA – So now what? What happens tomorrow?

Sarah – I have a feeling …. Happiness is not something we need to pursue … it is something we are here in the world to have. And getting it … may indeed … be as simple as ….. SNAP.