The Official 2008 Glassmen Thread

The trunks are supposed to be "steamer trunks" which were used in the past to keep their things when travelling. Being "Ka-Ne-Vel" is about a travelling carnival they would use trunks to move their stuff around. Props, equipment, personnal belongings etc. In regard to having relevance to the show they have as much purpose as Cadets center stage or anyone elses props.

As far as fading in the stretch...don't bet on it. I know I'm a Glassmen honk (son in corps) but after 40 years of marching I can tell the real deal when I see it. This is a good corps with a good show. Period. No sun dial here.

Thanks for the info regarding the "steamer trunks". Too bad you compared them to the Cadet's center stage which has almost no purpose at all.

Your "40 years of marching", does not make you an expert. If you recall, last year the Glassmen were beating the Colts almost all season and even into the Semi or Quarter Finals and then got beat in the Finals by the Colts.

I am concerned that there are 12 sun dials out there.

Edited by baja

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info regarding the "steamer trunks". Too bad you compared them to the Cadet's center stage which has almost no purpose at all.

Your "40 years of marching", does not make you an expert. If you recall, last year the Glassmen were beating the Colts almost all season and even into the Semi or Quarter Finals and then got beat in the Finals by the Colts.

I am concerned that there are 12 sun dials out there.

Your right I should not have made a comparison to Garfields (Cadets) stage. The trunks actually have a functional use as the stage is just static and is a distraction.

Your right again that my 40 years of marching drum corps (and watching both DCI and DCA shows in the process) does not make me an "expert". But then if experience isn't worth anything today then all we have are rookie experts every season. So which one are you Scott an experienced vet or rookie "expert"? I already know the answer Baja. My opinon experienced as it is, is still as useless as everyone elses when it comes down to how the corps actually will end up. That is in the control of the kids themselves. But it's sad that it seems that experience is valued by almost every other activity than this one. At least for some.

As far as Colts they just might do the same thing this year and move up at the right moment. So can Blue Stars or a couple of other corps that are within range. I'm not saying they can't. I'm only commenting on what's happening right now and with a certain confidence that Glassmen won't fade in the stretch. If someone makes a move doesn't mean the corps they past are any worse than they were before that move.

You know Sun dials tell the time. You should be smart enough to know what time it is Baja. Nuff said.

The trunks actually have a functional use as the stage is just static and is a distraction.

Ok I agree they have some limited function as small stages for the guard to work on and to hold surprises (people, extra equipment, etc..

The question is do they contribute or do they distract? I think that is a fine line, because at this point at least for me they are more of a distraction than positive.

At the very least they have created some interest in the show.

Ok I agree they have some limited function as small stages for the guard to work on and to hold surprises (people, extra equipment, etc..

The question is do they contribute or do they distract? I think that is a fine line, because at this point at least for me they are more of a distraction than positive.

At the very least they have created some interest in the show.

Ok now we're talkin. I too have had the thought as do they add to the show of take away from it? In one part of the show the sopranos (trumpets) are actually on them and playing. I think that adds to the GE. As far as moving them around...execution of those moves need to be timed better with the music. It's close now but needs better "visual" coordination. Thanks for adding a positive comment as opposed to being negative as too many others have done lately. We could be on the same page now.

The Glassmen have been around for 47 years. It took the Glassmen 32 years to make a World Class DCI finals. In fact the Glassmen missed the 92 Finals by .100 of a point to the Freelancers. (Some Alum from 92 told me they still fell the sing fron this lost.) What I have been told is that the Glassmen happen to like the Top 12 and have no plans any time soon of leaving the Top 12. I do have some inside info. on how to beat the Glassmen. And I will share this to all. All a Drum Corps has to do is put on a better Show than the Glassmen that night. It really is that simple. Most DCI rankings out there in Drum Corps land have the Glassmen 9th in the rankings. Yes, I know that the Glassmen rankings will change over time. I happen to feel the Glassmen may indeed move up instead of down in the rankings.

The Glassmen using props is nothing new to the Corps. I know I may be missing something here but I have the Glassmen using kites in 90,91,98? Not sure about 98. Balls in 94, ladders in 97 and trunks in 08.

Thank god we did not have the internet back in the day. The way some peolpe pick apart a Show almost note by note and step by step today. Man, we would of got slamed. For those that say the Glassmen are dirty and need to clean. I agree 100% with this because ALL Corps are dirty and need to clean at this time of the year. So why would one say this any more? It is a given.

It seems to me that this years Glassmen Show is reaching the Fans in the stands and scoring well. That would be a good thing right?

The more I see the Glassman the more I really like their show. They have a great guard, and if they clean it, play stronger, and trim it up in some places, they could move up into the 8th position. IMO, this is a very strong viehicle with lots of legs. I sense they may be starting to pull away from Colts abd Blue Stars.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

The more I see the Glassman the more I really like their show. They have a great guard, and if they clean it, play stronger, and trim it up in some places, they could move up into the 8th position. IMO, this is a very strong viehicle with lots of legs. I sense they may be starting to pull away from Colts abd Blue Stars.

And to be fair...Colts and Stars could catch up real fast. We're only in the middle of the season. But if I was BAC I'd be watchin my back.o

I have a few former students and former fellow HS marching band members in the corps (and even a few vets from my day, too). My heart swelled with pride when I got to see them in June.

I'll tell you this, scores always say what they say, but I have seen this drum corps, and it is a fine, fine Glassmen drum and bugle corps. The 2008 Glassmen already have so much to be proud of, and I know that as this season progresses, they will continue to accomplish incredible things and hugely entertain thousands of fans across the country.

The Orlando show is fast approaching. Drum corps comes to Florida for the first time in three years. I'm happy to say the corps has a growing fan base down here, and I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of people at the show cheering extra loud for them.

Last time the corps was in Orlando, they had a pretty big night. Here's to hoping they have another one this time around.