The Official 2008 Glassmen Thread

Just a bit of education for you guys.............before Cadets,there was the Blue Stars.He not only composed music there,but actually taught it!Don Hill(aka........Wolfie)....I think he's going to kill me.His specialty was the baritone line.You are lucky he has mellowed(rumor has it).Wolfie .....before composing was an excellant eduacator also(and am sure still is),but very "hard Corp".Just say you always wanted to be on the "good side" of him.lol.Ask him sometime about "Chop-Suey" and it wasnt the meal.When he taught .......he didnt have music majors,had kids that were picking up a baritone for the first time.He turned us into real horn players after marching a season,some of us didnt even know how to read music.My first year marching with the Blue Stars was a total new experience.........................he could really intimidate you if you were new.By the next year I was used to him.........................up until he put a euphonium in my hands.

When they first came out with the Euphs in the late 70's............................they were beasts to hold up.But thru his motivation I survived carrying one.Wolfie was one of a kind...................so if he is associated with your corps,I am sure you will be there in finals standing next to the Blue Stars and yes they are making finals again!(oops.........forgot no grand finales anymore).He always strived for perfection and had his ways for achieving it.He always gave you this certain look if you made a mistake(that way you knew you werent going to do it again!).

I saw your show at Madison..............all I can say is AWESOME!Good Luck!!!!! :thumbup:

Actually we had euphoniums back in 68! I was a skinny 15 year old when I joined corps and they put this monster in my hands too. It was a Whaley-Royce Euphonium from Canada (and valve/roter at that). Back then we had tenor baritones (about double the size of a soprano), bass baritones which are real close to regular baris now and the euphs. I don't know how I carried that thing either except for the fear of god (the vets) if I didn't hold it up.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job getting another gold with a win over the Colts! My brother told me a while ago they might have the pre-show in for Kalamazoo this weekend but I am unsure if they have it or not. With tomorrow off again maybe they'll be adding it in??? Who knows. I just know I am excited to see them Saturday after a nice week with plenty of rehearsal.

" The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual"

Vince Lombardi

What a great win last night. If my math is right that would be back to back wins. :worthy::cool:

Yep! 2 in a row. Not only that but in the un-weighted DCP standings the Gmen are in 9th place. Yahoo.

Edited by KiltieKemo06

Once again there is a great battle between the 9-15 Corps. In the DCP rankings only 2 points or so seperats these Corps. Tonights Show in Kalamazoo Mi. should be very interesting to say the least. I think this may be the first Show with judges on the field. And the battle everyone needs to watch is not who comes in first or second, but third. There are at least4 or 5 Corps fighting for third. And of course The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps is very much holding their own in this group of Corps. Will the Glassmen finish third tonight? Who knows. I feel the Corps who is on tonight will be the one who claims third.

"Only passion, great passions,can elevate the soul to great things."

Denis Diderot

All the best to all of the Drum Corps tonight. And a BIG shout out to the Dutch Boys. Nothing but love for all of you. Who cares if the Glassmen and the Dutch Boys are in different Divs.? It is just so cool to me that you all are at a Show in the Great Laks Reg. very good memories for me. All the best tonight.

I understand the Glassmen marched in 3 parades in 1 day Wow. :thumbup:

dc4.jpg

dc8.jpg

Good Job Glassmen in Kayzoo. You have come a long way since the Madison show.

The show is starting to take shape now, musically as well as visually.

Guard is looking better. :beer: Horns are sounding more balanced and confident.

Pit is solid and I'm picking up more in the drum line.

So what's in those trunks? :tongue:

Once again there is a great battle between the 9-15 Corps. In the DCP rankings only 2 points or so seperats these Corps. Tonights Show in Kalamazoo Mi. should be very interesting to say the least. I think this may be the first Show with judges on the field. And the battle everyone needs to watch is not who comes in first or second, but third. There are at least4 or 5 Corps fighting for third. And of course The Glassmen Drum and Bugle Corps is very much holding their own in this group of Corps. Will the Glassmen finish third tonight? Who knows. I feel the Corps who is on tonight will be the one who claims third.

"Only passion, great passions,can elevate the soul to great things."

Denis Diderot

All the best to all of the Drum Corps tonight. And a BIG shout out to the Dutch Boys. Nothing but love for all of you. Who cares if the Glassmen and the Dutch Boys are in different Divs.? It is just so cool to me that you all are at a Show in the Great Laks Reg. very good memories for me. All the best tonight.

I understand the Glassmen marched in 3 parades in 1 day Wow. :tongue:

dc4.jpg

dc8.jpg

What parade is this? D