Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree. However this is a topic that I'm interested in.

But after reading all that I can't help but toss in my worthless 2 cents.

Bejamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and Aaron Copland's Lincoln Portiat both are written and commonly performed with narraiton. Fantastic orchestral pieces, the later having also been transcribed for wind ensembles. Narration can work.

Corps have been pushing the envolope for years and years and years in both DCI and DCA. It is what develops thier individual corps style. People choose to march with which corps they like. There's something for every one out there, fans and marchers alike, and that I do like. If a corps tests the narration amp waters, and they like it and find it successful, then good for them. If a corps finds that narration isn't thier cup of tea, then good for them.

Amps, pits, pants, kilts, hats or no hats, sunglasses, Bflat or G, dancing or no dancing, chanting/singing or none, creative props, classical, modern, jazz, broadway - what is it really that entertains the audience? It depends on the individual who's looking for entertainment.

I respect you all for your opinions, and hope the healthy discussion continues. (:

World Class Drum Corp as an activity, is unique and always has been which is an innovation in of itself! Adding the element of amplification and now electronic instruments is a fundamental change to the way Drum Corp will be performed for years to come and a lot of people don't like it. Drum Corp, historically, does not perform orchestral music as it was written and intended to be performed, hence it's appeal. I have a deep love and respect for all kinds of music and I appreciate innovation but, after 30 years of personal drum corp experience and 3 years of hearing voice overs in DCI, I'm done. I have yet to develop an appreciation for its place in Drum Corp and fail to see it's value in the overall integrity of the activity.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would disagree - Drum Corps is much more than the product on the field - it is about the experience of touring and all that comes with it.

Marching Bands and DCA for that matter don't cater to those looking for a DCI touring experience.

I have been staying away from posting on this topic, but this post is the first that made me think "Yes, exactly."

It's totally a difference between what (some) fans want or don't want, and the experience the actual members are seeking. Being a member of a touring Junior Corps that teaches valuable lessons in all aspects of life is something that I never got in marching band, and will never get from being a member of senior/all-age corps. Having narration, or electronics, or whatever, doesn't change that experience much at all (except for the amount of crap the fans yell at you at shows... )

I agree. One of my favorite SCV performances of all time (1992 Fiddler) used shouts and chanting in several places. But the issue at hand is whether or not that spoken word should be amped and by extension, should amps even be allowed to infultrate other aspects of a corps performance. I'm saying that it should NOT.

A perfectly valid POV to hold...one that I disagree with 1000%, but that's just MHO. I was responding to the idea that spoken word is not part of the music.

Why stop there?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification electronics. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification electronics have a few corps too?

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy vocal amplification woodwinds. Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like vocal amplification have a few corps too?

Here - let's make a form out of it....we'll need it again anyway.

There is something for everyone! However you people don't want there to be something in drum corps for people who actually enjoy (latest 'innovation'). Why are you being so selfish? Why can't people that like (latest 'innovation') have a few corps too?

:tongue:

Oh, I remember now. This is drum & bugle corps. There are lots of other activities for those people who want vocal music, or electronics, or woodwinds. Omitting them from drum & bugle corps doesn't deny anyone the experience of vocals, electronics or woodwinds. It is not "selfish" - just different.

Sounds great actually! As long as it doesn't become a competitive neccessity to have those things (It certainly isn't a competitive neccessity to have amplified vocals). I personally wouldn't mind if a few corps here and there had a sax section for example if there were still corps that were all brass.

Glad that you are seeing the light.

One more thing... anyone feel free to yell at me if I'm mistaken, but didn't drum corps as a youth activity start as an activity that was focused on the experience of the members, something that was a higher priority than pleasing fans necessarily?

Sounds great actually! As long as it doesn't become a competitive neccessity to have those things (It certainly isn't a competitive neccessity to have amplified vocals). I personally wouldn't mind if a few corps here and there had a sax section for example if there were still corps that were all brass.

You've completely missed the point dbc03.

audiodb is saying that if you want those other "things" there are plenty of other places you can go to experience them, they don't need to be a part of drum corp.

I agree... using multikey instruments isn't a necessity in the rule books, but has turned into a competitive necessity. I don't remember who switched to multi-key when, but is it coincidence that say, Blue Knights broke back into finals after 3 years when they finally switched from G bugles?

Even though the rule changes are not compulsory (150 members, amplification, electronics), sadly it looks like if the top corps are doing it, it has to be done by other corps to be competitive with them from a design standpoint (sans Cavaliers who have yet to use narration, of course). I hope that doesn't become the case with narration, electronics and beyond, though...

You've completely missed the point dbc03.

audiodb is saying that if you want those other "things" there are plenty of other places you can go to experience them, they don't need to be a part of drum corp.

No, I got his point perfectly, I just don't necessarily agree with it.

I personally could do without amplified vocals, but I don't think they should be banned based upon my personal preference.

Bejamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, and Aaron Copland's Lincoln Portiat both are written and commonly performed with narraiton. Fantastic orchestral pieces, the later having also been transcribed for wind ensembles. Narration can work.

Just wondering, has anyone tried "Young Persons Guide" or "Peter and the Wolf" or one of those classics that include narration, with the amplified narration of today? It might not be narration that people dislike, so much as the content of the narration that they have heard recently.

And one other thing, can someone please clear something up? Isn't it "drum corps" (plural) and "drum corps" (singular)? I keep reading "drum corp" here and it irritates the heck out of my eyeballs.

Isn't it "drum corps" (plural) and "drum corps" (singular)? I keep reading "drum corp" here and it irritates the heck out of my eyeballs.

Yeap, just like deer and deer :tongue: except for not being a woodland creature...

Edited by Design Hound