Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

Why should voice amplification be banned?

Because I really don't want to hear Corps members talking because it distracts from the what count's which is the Hornline, Drumline and Color Guard performance.

This I Believe.

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least the OP talked about possibly starting another push to change a rule he doesn't like.

All I hear here at DCP is a lot of talk, and no action. Posting at DCP doesn't mean a thing.

Edited by Pinwiz

This I believe...

All ampage is a good thing.

I started this topic so I feel obliged to steer it back on topic.

My main issue is not with amping the pit. I know that has been in practice for quite some time.

My issue is with voice amped narration, specifically.

And with expanding amplification to other sections.

Don't even get me started on the new rule to allow for electronic instruments.

I'm also not saying that DC should not evolve. There have been so many changes and innovations - I can't name them all!

Also, I don't plan on disrespecting anyone's kids. I know how hard you all work. It's part of why I love drum corp so much. I don't want to see this activity go the same route as most sports. The team that has the most money - buys his victory. Let's at least keep the playing field open to everybody's kids. By adding more expensive electronic "things" the gap between the "have" corps and the "have-not" corps gets wider and wider.

Cadets - I love ya! I really do! But I loved ya more before the narration.

Besides amped narration just doesn't sound right. Does anyone REALLY enjoy it!?

Whatever happened to chanting. Now THAT was cool.

Amped narration is just not the best in my opinion. It distracts from the package being presented.

I commend you for trying to organize like-minded people and I would encourage you to please, organize the people who agree with you and take the fight to the decsion makers, and keep taking it to them if you continue to be supported in your efforts. DON'T make the kids on the field pay.

They already are. Since amps hit the field in 2004, once-rising attendance is no longer rising, and the financial health of the activity has been impacted accordingly. That, and the cost of the electronic equipment itself, leaves corps less able to confront other challenges (like rising fuel prices).

The cycle is repeating itself with the approval of electronic instruments for 2009.

Amped narration is just not the best in my opinion. It distracts from the package being presented.

Black pants aren't the best in my opinion. I don't enjoy shows with black pants as much as shows with light pants because I can't see the level of excellence in the marching technique as well.

Lets ban black pants

having helped promote the petitions, truly, the only way to make them pay attention is if you stop giving them money.

even then, you'll just be told you're hurting the kids

Edited for correctness, boss.

Black pants aren't the best in my opinion. I don't enjoy shows with black pants as much as shows with light pants because I can't see the level of excellence in the marching technique as well.

Lets ban black pants

Where's that "roll eyes" smiley??

Oh - here it is....

:ninja:

I believe very few if any World Class corps are still unamped. In 2004 the Bluecoats made a point of not amping their pit, yet three years later they put out a narration-laden show and will continue to do that this year.

2007 Bluecoats was far from being "narration-laden". Wow.

I've never been in a music groups where the "kids" decided on any of the content. The show was presented to the group and you gave it your best and that was it. Unless the arranger is a kid. (probably not) Well, our guy is a kid at heart.

It is a FACT, that the members of the cadets have a say in their content. After the 2004 season (which i didnt march actually), the corps filled out member surveys (like we do every year). The general theme of them was 'lets stop trying to #### hard to make everyone happy and get back on the edge like the 80's' The immediate result of that was the 2005 show. Now, we can debate all day whether you think the cadets past few offerings have been innovative or on the edge, but there it is. I also will not sit here and tell you that everyone marching in the cadets loves narration, but obviously they dont have a huge problem with it, since just about everyone i know in the corps started marching in 2005 or later.