Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

Where are you getting your statistics?

DCI.org, and my own observations from attending about 20 events per season.

I saw the presentation on the state of DCI at the convention...attendance for the summer has been going up and down for the past decade....and it did not drop off after 2004.

I did not say attendance dropped - only that it is no longer rising. (Come to think of it, my words were misinterpreted in the exact same fashion the last time this issue came up on DCP.)

DCI.org's press releases tell us a lot about attendance figures in each of the past several years. To recognize the trends, though, you need to compare year to year and read carefully. If you read them the same way you read my post, I can see how you could get the wrong idea.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously people, get a grip. Drum Corps will be fine. It may be different that you remember it, but evolution happens.

Evolution is natural. This is being forced on people.

Drum Corps needs fans to survive, and a very large number of its current fans so dislike the amplification that it is ruining their ability to enjoy the activity and alienating their continued support. Confusing them with the much smaller percentage of any group that is opposed to change in any form would be a dangerous mistake. You can always find bad examples to associate with a position you oppose, but I know from reading and talking to people that many dci fans have tried with open intelligent minds to adjust to amplification and tried with all their hearts to like the result. This isn't a kook contingent, it is a major part of the fan base.

Many of the past changes people cite as not being harmful were changes that were a natural extension of what drum corps is. Most people who loved the way a great corps sounded with G bugles continued to love the way they sounded with any-key instruments because the key ingredients remained the same. This, however, is a complete change to the foundational composition of what drum corps is. There may have been some truly major shifts over the long history that have been successful, but they only worked because the vast majority of fans saw them as improvements or at least changes that did not harm their ability to enjoy the product. That doesn't seem to be happening here.

Part of evolution is adopting things that make something better. The other part is discarding those that don't.

Good points! As I heard recently, "You see only what you look for". I think this holds here as well.

My question is, and I'm sure that this has been written about on other threads, how do you judge narration? Is there a caption for it? Does it affect the judges scores? Are there any criteria as to how to judge it?

I personally cannot see it being allowed until the rules have been cast in stone and we know what they are.

As an "oldtimer", could I get enlightened?

I see it falling into the GE captions - or perhaps, like many aspects of drum corps, it isn't judged yet at all. (i.e. a new caption would need to be added)

There are many things from DCI's history that don't neccesarily fit into one caption with specific judging criteria - pit sirens, water/baby powder coming out of the ends of flag poles, whole corps chanting, heck even the Colour Guard whose caption was just added to the recaps a few years ago.

Evolution is natural. This is being forced on people.

Drum Corps needs fans to survive, and a very large number of its current fans so dislike the amplification that it is ruining their ability to enjoy the activity and alienating their continued support. Confusing them with the much smaller percentage of any group that is opposed to change in any form would be a dangerous mistake. You can always find bad examples to associate with a position you oppose, but I know from reading and talking to people that many dci fans have tried with open intelligent minds to adjust to amplification and tried with all their hearts to like the result. This isn't a kook contingent, it is a major part of the fan base.

Many of the past changes people cite as not being harmful were changes that were a natural extension of what drum corps is. Most people who loved the way a great corps sounded with G bugles continued to love the way they sounded with any-key instruments because the key ingredients remained the same. This, however, is a complete change to the foundational composition of what drum corps is. There may have been some truly major shifts over the long history that have been successful, but they only worked because the vast majority of fans saw them as improvements or at least changes that did not harm their ability to enjoy the product. That doesn't seem to be happening here.

Part of evolution is adopting things that make something better. The other part is discarding those that don't.

:tongue: I LIKE YOU! YOU'RE HIRED!

Very well articulated, my friend! Point well taken!

Black pants aren't the best in my opinion. I don't enjoy shows with black pants as much as shows with light pants because I can't see the level of excellence in the marching technique as well.

Lets ban black pants

Seriously? :tongue:

This topic is about AMPS, not PANTS. Start you're own topic.

Pants are kind of essential. You can't have a show without pants. Who cares what color they are?

You can, however, have a perfectly good show without AMPS. You don't NEED those.

Edited by fluffybunnyfeet

Good points! As I heard recently, "You see only what you look for". I think this holds here as well.

My question is, and I'm sure that this has been written about on other threads, how do you judge narration? Is there a caption for it? Does it affect the judges scores? Are there any criteria as to how to judge it?

I personally cannot see it being allowed until the rules have been cast in stone and we know what they are.

As an "oldtimer", could I get enlightened?

It is part of the musical presentation, so IMO there should be GE consideration given to how effective it is...for good or bad.

having helped promote the petitions, truly, the only way to make them pay attention is if you stop giving them money.

otherwise, til then, you'll just be told you're hurting the kids by being out of touch

I strongly dissagree! :tongue:

Being out of touch is doing nothing and telling people to quit trying! Standing by while something you love changes for the worse!

Do you even know what rules just passed? They suck!

I'm GOING to the shows! You should all go to the shows! Buy your suvies! Talk to people! Be influential! Proudly wear shirts! I know what mine will say!

You aren't going to change things by staying home and grumbling about "the only way". There is always a way!

KEEP CORPS UNPLUGGED! BAN THE AMP!

One word. Kilties

That would be interesting. But would you have to make a rule on bagpipes to go with them?

You shouldn't wear kilts without bagpipes. That's just silly.

Drum and BagPipe Corp! There ya go! :tongue:

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I am also bringing a friend who has never seen drum corps to a show in July. We will use the Cadets show as extra time after intermission to buy concessions and souvenirs.

I have long considered starting a "Society for the Preservation of Drum and Bugle Corps." United as one, I believe a group along those lines can make considerable strides in making drum corps the best activity it can be.

I did purchase a "Keep Drum Corps Unplugged" T-shirt at Madison in 2006, and proudly wore it at shows, but unfortunately I seem to have lost it. I would love to purchase a new one if anyone knows where I can order one.

A purist! I love you!

You get the domain - I'll design shirts.

Let's go!