Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

i'm going to start a society that advocates for electronics in drum corps. it will be totally awesome and DCI will listen to us lobby for keeping electronics legal. i think i'll start a sleek new website like obama's so that it connects to the young facebook generation that supports progressive drum corps. i'm so excited!!!!

Instead of a flag with a circle around it, you can get a saxophone, with the words 'change we can believe in'. Post that about 30 thousand times, and you'll have the makings of a real campaign :lol:

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this straight. You want to hear an instrument the way it is susposed to be? Through a microphone and cords and speakers? That is how an instrument was designed to sound? OK then......

and you would rather hear and watch an instrument get destroyed just to play louder with out the assistance of amping and playing with correct techniques? OK THEN....

How does amping a marimba for example distort the designed sound? with the technologies of microphones, especially the parabolic (sp?) mic's... you don't loose quality of the sound... plus it's not like the players are playing one volume, while a "tech" is messing with the volumes to make them louder.

Edited by triplefunk

electronics are totally cool and i know for a fact dci has gained more fans because of it. i talked to all my friends and they agree with me. we don't do it online because we have a social life. i'm the only one who is online because i'm the loser of the group. nevertheless we talk about it and i've even spoken to thousands of others who feel the same way. a dci executive told me they're making money because of it too which is so cool. i don't know why this is even an issue. my neighbor even agrees with me. electronics are just plain sweet.

electronics are totally cool and i know for a fact dci has gained more fans because of it. i talked to all my friends and they agree with me. we don't do it online because we have a social life. i'm the only one who is online because i'm the loser of the group. nevertheless we talk about it and i've even spoken to thousands of others who feel the same way. a dci executive told me they're making money because of it too which is so cool. i don't know why this is even an issue. my neighbor even agrees with me. electronics are just plain sweet.

I don't know if I should be laughing or taking it seriously. hmmm...

hey people

narration doesn't cover up music. it goes with the music. i asked 20 people about it and all of them agree with me. we're going to a show together and you'll see us enjoy the narration. i may even clap to show how pleased i am. holy cow i'll show them. all the other corps like phantom regiment will be totally jealous of my support and then will change their minds about narration. i think i'll wear my narration is cool t-shirt to show how much it matters to me. dci is life!!!! these matters concern me greatly and i don't want to be entertained if i can't have some narration. i just don't know if a show is a show without narration. just think of all the tv shows, movies, and musical works that have spoken words in them to convey a meaning. that's important.

Again...and again - We arent talking about the cadets right now. For one, while they may need money, they arent as desperate as other groups (guessing), and two, obviously they are sort of an extreme example. As far as needed to mic voice in shows to help competitive placement, since amps were allowed, only one champion used voice in any major way. Only one second place corps did it, and only one 4th place corps did it. In addition, among the corps fighting to get in (or stay in) finals and semifinals, (which i think is more the corps we'd be aiming for) there has only been about one show per year among that entire dozen that uses extensive vocals (thinkin bones radio show, PC vegas, seattle airshow...maybe more). Doesn't seem like too many corps are scrambling for that particular competitive advantage now does it.?... The point being, of course, that if these corps , who are already not using vocals, were given incentive to continue not using vocals, they may take it.

Look...honestly this idea is pretty ridiculous, and is about as unrealistic as it gets in the first place. I'm fairly apathetic towards amps myself, but I cant imagine anyone even raising 500K TOTAL...much less 500K to give each corps as an incentive. I just think (without knowing most corps budgets), that half a mil would be impossible to pass up. With that much extra $, a corps could actually PAY for their gas, hire the best staff away (thats never happened before :whistle: ), feed their kids steak dinners a few times a week, and maybe make tour fees a little more manageable. Kids trying out these days know more than what place their prospective corps got last year. A lot of people go places where they know they'll be well taken care of, and have a staff that they can really learn from

....but, since this is basically a total hypothetical, (and impossible) situation, I think I'm done :lol:

the competitive risks are too high. sorry, i dont ever see a corps with a set big enough to do it.

after all people voted no on this stuff then turn around and use it

It's possible that, when DCI is targeting the band crowd (not just BOA), they aren't so much thinking about the "band fans" (usually mom, dad and siblings) so much as the kids on the field.

With respect to maintaining the fan base, there are two brutal truths. New fans must always be attracted even if old fans are content (old fans age, die, get married, get time-intensive jobs or become parents). As the number of corps has exponentially fallen (a trend that started long before electronics or even legalizing the 3rd valve), corps alumni (the primary source of purists) will not be as productive a source of fans as it has been.

I won't pretend to know what DCI should do to address this.

i do agree going for the kids is smart, never said that it wasn't....even if many kids make fun of the stuff we're now seeing in DCI shows.

but, you need to retain. continuing to add new over and over again at the expense of retaining is stupid business.

the competitive risks are too high. sorry, i dont ever see a corps with a set big enough to do it.

after all people voted no on this stuff then turn around and use it

They've never been given incentive not to :lol: