Keep Corps UNPLUGGED!

I'd argue that the non-paying fans are probably the most important group to listen to. DCI HAD their business and lost it. Given how devoted most DCI fans (customers) are, this is significant. It is vital that DCI understand why these customers left, and figure out how to make their product appeal to them again. These people WANT to be customers. Which is WHY they make it a point to mention that they're not. Ignoring them is suicidal.

Gaining new customers is vitally important to the growth of DCI. There is no question there. But if getting new customers comes at the expense of your existing customer base, then it's a net loss. Your new customers most likely don't yet have the history with and loyalty to the product that your old customers did. Your new customers see your old customers complaining and leaving. Those new customers are MORE likely to leave under these circumstances. Over time, turnover speeds up, and the cycle gets worse.

Keeping your existing customers happy is really key to growth. DCI should be trying to find ways to appeal to new customers without driving off their existing customer base. This is not easy. But if DCI wants to really grow the activity, they need to figure it out.

But to be honest, most of us don't know numbers. We don't know what kind of churn rate DCI is seeing over time. We don't even know if DCI knows. This may not even be an issue, but just looks like it from our perspective. Without a lot of data and a lot of work, it's all conjecture.

Stats I'd love to see off the top of my head:

# of customers who buy tickets for multiple nights of DCI week vs single nights.

# of customers who go to multiple DCI events during a season.

# of customers who attended DCI historically, but do not anymore. (I.E. someone who bought finals tickets from 1995-2005, but hasn't bought a ticket since)

I'd like to see all of those stats compiled annually, so you could observe trends in the customer base.

Most importantly, I'd like to survey all the people who attended shows historically, but not currently. Ask them why they stopped attending, and what would bring them back.

DCI may be doing data analysis, but I doubt they're surveying. I've never been contacted by DCI to find out why I haven't been to a finals since 2003.

Whoa, Tex. Are you new to these parts? Watch out, those are fightin' words to some folk 'round here. :tongue:

Seriously, yes, these all seem like valid questions to ask... if you want to know the answers. Some would rather wallow in ignorance, just to have something to argue about. Others defer to authority (DCI) and say that if DCI needs to know, then they'll ask; in the meantime, put a cork in it. Others are afraid that the truth will undermine their position, making them irrelevant.

We forget that DCI, being made up of the corps, are experts in drum corps but not necessarily in the business side of it. So, maybe this kind of thinking is strange to them. As Adm Painter (played by the inimitable Fred D. Thompson) in the movie The Hunt for Red October says, "The Russians don't take a dump, son, without a plan. And senior captains don't start something this dangerous without having thought the matter through." We expect that DCI be like that, to have a plan for all contingencies, to be thoroughly professional in all aspects of its work, to be as business-like as the real business world.

The truth is DCI is not those things, and I'm beginning to believe that it never will be. As much as we admire these people for creating some wonderfully entertaining stuff (of whatever era), they aren't more than good ol' boys winging it most of the time. The first step toward knowing what questions to ask is to know what information you want to gather. Does DCI know what it needs to know? The first step toward enlightenment is admitting that you know nothing. <$1 to Socrates>

The problem is, we put them on pedestals (or at least used to), and they don't deserve that, because the disillusionment comes harder and faster once we each individually realize that they don't belong there.

Edited by Dale Bari

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those questions are a good start for a survey. I recommend DCI gets you to oversee it with a healthy consulting fee attached.

So why haven't you attended a Finals since 2003.

Honestly, expense. Up until this year, I lived in South Florida, and was recovering financially from college.

Unfortunately, DCI just isn't in the cards this year either, even though I'm closer. It's a bit more complicated. Recent relocation, and adjusting to being a homeowner are big factors. The cost of attending isn't insignificant. Honestly, there aren't enough corps that I REALLY want to see to justify the cost. I'll be watching semi's in the theatre, and I'll be going to local shows, however. I'm also planning on attending in 09, barring unforseen circumstances. (I attended previous theatre events, for the record)

To be completely honest, if this was the 90's, I would be there without question. Current show design styles just don't have the same affect on me. I think there is too much emphasis on overall concept, and the productions are getting too much like BOA shows for my tastes. If I want to see BOA shows, I'll go to BOA shows. Corps used to be a different beast, but I don't think thats the case anymore.

EDIT: I do want to point out that I think the performance level of the corps is as high as ever. My complaints lie with the design decisions and overall management.

Edited by ScoutMello

Whoa, Tex. Are you new to these parts? Watch out, those are fightin' words to some folk 'round here. :ph34r:

:looks at member ID:

Not exactly new, no. I've just been quiet for a LONG time. :tongue:

Speak up more. :tongue:

Heh. Be careful what you wish for. Getting me to shut up is the real trick. :ph34r:

Honestly, expense. Up until this year, I lived in South Florida, and was recovering financially from college.

Unfortunately, DCI just isn't in the cards this year either, even though I'm closer. It's a bit more complicated. Recent relocation, and adjusting to being a homeowner are big factors. The cost of attending isn't insignificant. Honestly, there aren't enough corps that I REALLY want to see to justify the cost. I'll be watching semi's in the theatre, and I'll be going to local shows, however. I'm also planning on attending in 09, barring unforseen circumstances. (I attended previous theatre events, for the record)

To be completely honest, if this was the 90's, I would be there without question. Current show design styles just don't have the same affect on me. I think there is too much emphasis on overall concept, and the productions are getting too much like BOA shows for my tastes. If I want to see BOA shows, I'll go to BOA shows. Corps used to be a different beast, but I don't think thats the case anymore.

EDIT: I do want to point out that I think the performance level of the corps is as high as ever. My complaints lie with the design decisions and overall management.

So what you are saying is that LIFE got in the way. :tongue:

I was just curious as to whether it was life or a conscious decision based on "something" like AMPS

I've never seen a BOA show so I have no basis to make the comparison

QUOTE (Triple Forte @ Jun 17 2008, 11:05 PM) *

If a core group of anti-amp/electronic folks ban together and form something strong that has some legs.....this group could align with the member corps staff/directors who are AGAINST these changes and possibly make some difference. Problem is.....most people are against these things....to a point. No one initiative has sustained long enough to make a difference. That's the key to success......staying the course until there is some results.

Kind of like............When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this......

:tongue:

Actually this fits the bill much better,

"Determined people working together can accomplish anything."

A quote from the founder (Jim Casey) of an almost 101 year old company I work for......

I didn't want to over analyze this but....what the hay...

So this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) is followed by a STELLAR trumpet section performance. As someone who has a very good knowledge of music.....I recognize "On my own" (Imagine that) that this particular trumpet feature is the result of tremendous teamwork and talent. The comment (Narration) dumbs down the effect (And makes is gimmicky/goofy) for me. Now...lets look at this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) for someone who doesn't know a thing about the technicalities of music. This comment makes little sense to them......I would think....

Edited by Triple Forte

So this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) is followed by a STELLAR trumpet section performance. As someone who has a very good knowledge of music.....I recognize "On my own" (Imagine that) that this particular trumpet feature is the result of tremendous teamwork and talent. The comment (Narration) dumbs down the effect for me. Now...lets look at this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) for someone who doesn't know a thing about the technicalities of music. This comment makes little sense to them......I would think....

I admit that it dumbs it down a little bit for the more advanced viewer, but I actually appreciated the in-your-face-ness of the moment. As far as it not making sense to someone who didnt already know that 22 people double tonguing together was hard, I'd have to disagree. Everyone I was around (musically inclined or not) seemed to get it. Based on the staging, the length of the feature, the color guard accents, and the fact that they were marching halftime while the rest of the corps was flying around them, I think it was obvious that 'here is the focus, and it is something special'. Dont get my wrong, I didnt like a lot of the narration last year, but I thought that to be one of the more effective uses in their show.

Edited by euponitone

QUOTE (Triple Forte @ Jun 17 2008, 11:05 PM) *

If a core group of anti-amp/electronic folks ban together and form something strong that has some legs.....this group could align with the member corps staff/directors who are AGAINST these changes and possibly make some difference. Problem is.....most people are against these things....to a point. No one initiative has sustained long enough to make a difference. That's the key to success......staying the course until there is some results.

:tongue:

Actually this fits the bill much better,

"Determined people working together can accomplish anything."

A quote from the founder (Jim Casey) of an almost 101 year old company I work for......

So this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) is followed by a STELLAR trumpet section performance. As someone who has a very good knowledge of music.....I recognize "On my own" (Imagine that) that this particular trumpet feature is the result of tremendous teamwork and talent. The comment (Narration) dumbs down the effect (And makes is gimmicky/goofy) for me. Now...lets look at this piece of narration (When we work together...as a team...we can do stuff like this....) for someone who doesn't know a thing about the technicalities of music. This comment makes little sense to them......I would think....

... over analyzed...!