2008 Standings

Not to rain on anyone's parade, and I enjoy the current standings as much as anyone, but in all fairness to all corps, the final call won't come until PRELIMS.

As has been noted multiple times. I think we're all aware of the disclaimer when "ranking" DCA corps according to scores. We like to play this game anyway.

Just my two cents.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been noted multiple times. I think we're all aware of the disclaimer when "ranking" DCA corps according to scores. We like to play this game anyway.

Just my two cents.

:worthy: I agree with you that it's all a game and that "nothing" really matters until prelims. ALL the corps will be there and that's when the fun will begin. Having said that, though, it is kinda "fun" to watch the corps placements bounce up and down.

:worthy: I agree with you that it's all a game and that "nothing" really matters until prelims. ALL the corps will be there and that's when the fun will begin. Having said that, though, it is kinda "fun" to watch the corps placements bounce up and down.

I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but I am also a realist, nothing really counts until PRELIMS when EVERYONE can go head to head. There are a lot of factors that can effect scores during the regular season. At prelims those factors are minimized.

Doug Smith

August 2, 2008

Corpsvets 83.638

Music City Legend 79.375

Alliance 79.175 (0.8)

Gulf Coast Sound 70.813

If MCL and Alliance are within striking distance at -4.263 and -4.463 respectively behind CV . . .

3- 86.513 Hurricanes (Lawrence, MA 7/26)

4- 85.852 Brigadiers (Waterloo, NY 8/2)

5- 85.538 Caballeros (Lawrence, MA 7/26)

6- 85.350 Minnesota Brass (Racine, WI 7/27)

7- 83.638 CorpsVets (Hendersonville, TN 8/2)

then might I suggest that CV is within striking distance of the Hurricanes at -2.875? None of you believe that is possible, frankly nor do I, which illustrates the point that the higher the scores go, and the more corps are crammed to a small range, the harder it is to make up ground.

CV welcomes healthy competition from our southern brethren, as it will make for a strong southern region, and will help all of our corps strive for higher levels of achievement at the national level. Having said that, I'm pretty sure my friends at Alliance and MCL understand that we at CV are focused on retaining our finalist position, and pushing to catch the corps right in front of us. Best of luck to all the DCAS corps in Rochester! May all 3 corps have their best placement ever!

I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but I am also a realist, nothing really counts until PRELIMS when EVERYONE can go head to head. There are a lot of factors that can effect scores during the regular season. At prelims those factors are minimized.

True. But it's something that's been brought up every few pages on this thread. Someone mentions how none of these number matter until Rochester (usually with an addendum that says we shouldn't even bother with these rankings), and then someone responds with how aware everyone is of this and that we like to compare anyway for fun. And then there's a little back and forth, and everyone's got to chime in, and Smoothy yells out "scores, schmores!", then five people say "the fans are the true winners!" and the topic goes back to comparing and ranking the corps and making predictions.

I'm just pointing out the cycle. Now back to the topic, grain of salt ready to be taken...

I enjoy seeing the scores, Matt. It IS fun to watch things progress.

And, if the scores didn't matter, we'd just send corps' home with a ranking and critique until prelims!

With this many corps', there's bound to be some bottlenecks. Makes it really interesrting.

Good luck to everyone, the rest of the way!

Edited by brassomaniac

we at CV are focused on retaining our finalist position, and pushing to catch the corps right in front of us.

No doubt that you are and from what I saw on Sat you guys are moving on up in the DCA world and hopefully up in placements.

Same can be said for the folks in front of you.They are looking to take out someone in front of them.That means eventually someone gets pushed back.Its just how they cycle goes.

Usual disclaimer.

Scores don't mean a thing till you hit Rochester.Yadda yadda yadda

But it is fun to sit back and theorize about it. :worthy:

Edited by camel lips

True. But it's something that's been brought up every few pages on this thread. Someone mentions how none of these number matter until Rochester (usually with an addendum that says we shouldn't even bother with these rankings), and then someone responds with how aware everyone is of this and that we like to compare anyway for fun. And then there's a little back and forth, and everyone's got to chime in, and Smoothy yells out "scores, schmores!", then five people say "the fans are the true winners!" and the topic goes back to comparing and ranking the corps and making predictions.

HA! nailed it! :worthy:

that made me smile . . . . . :worthy:

sorry, back to lurking :worthy:

HA! nailed it! :worthy:

Yes he did. :worthy:

What else are going to do this time of the year,,talk about Bb VS G??? :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: