2008 Standings

I really don't know anyone who couldn't agree. I was in DCA from '97 - '05, except '04 and this is by far the most unpredictable season I have seen in DCA. From top to bottom it's anyone's game this year.
Well, now you finally know someone who does not agree...Me!! This season (and the last 3 seasons) have been just ho-hum predictable in the top spot. This season perhaps more so than the last three. Second thru say fifth seems to be a bit of a tussle, however I seriously doubt whether any of those corps were hoping to be vying for these spots in August.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now you finally know someone who does not agree...Me!! This season (and the last 3 seasons) have been just ho-hum predictable in the top spot. This season perhaps more so than the last three. Second thru say fifth seems to be a bit of a tussle, however I seriously doubt whether any of those corps were hoping to be vying for these spots in August.

To each his own. I can remember DCA being extremely predictable from when I started up until about 2003/2004. From a Grenadier perspective, '05 looked like it was going to be the same ol', but we jumped 2 spots in prelims over Cru and Sky and were 1.65 from making finals. We weren't going to give up, but there was something inside of me that kept saying we would stay 13th.

As for 2008, I don't think 1st place is in question. I'm almost certain I can say that will be Buccs title.

The dog fight between Statesmen, Hurricanes and Cabs could be interesting.

Where do MBI, Renegades, Brigs and Bush fit in?

Corpsvets, Cru, Kilties?

A class fight...Alliance, Fusion Core, White Sabers. Can Grenadiers make a push? Where does Govies and the west coast corps fit in?

No one can really answer these questions right now. I sure as heck can't.

To each his own. I can remember DCA being extremely predictable from when I started up until about 2003/2004. From a Grenadier perspective, '05 looked like it was going to be the same ol', but we jumped 2 spots in prelims over Cru and Sky and were 1.65 from making finals. We weren't going to give up, but there was something inside of me that kept saying we would stay 13th.

As for 2008, I don't think 1st place is in question. I'm almost certain I can say that will be Buccs title.

The dog fight between Statesmen, Hurricanes and Cabs could be interesting.

Where do MBI, Renegades, Brigs and Bush fit in?

Corpsvets, Cru, Kilties?

A class fight...Alliance, Fusion Core, White Sabers. Can Grenadiers make a push? Where does Govies and the west coast corps fit in?

No one can really answer these questions right now. I sure as heck can't.

And I for one sure as heck don't want to. The fight to me has always been for first place, however if you or anyone else can get excited over being 1.65 out of DCA finals then god bless 'ya...

And I for one sure as heck don't want to. The fight to me has always been for first place, however if you or anyone else can get excited over being 1.65 out of DCA finals then god bless 'ya...

We weren't excited by any means, it brought back too many memories of not making finals in 1997. We were excited at the show we put on the field that night. Prelims 2005 out of all the years I have marched is one of my favourite performances. We were on fire that night. That was the exciting part. The not so exciting part came when we heard we were only 1.65 out of finals.

Corps have to set realistic goals for themselves. A 10th place corps all season long should not set a goal to get first at finals. You should set a reasonable goal of jumping a place or two, doing the best you can, entertain the crowd and have some FUN! You can easily setup your membership for disappointment if you set unrealistic goals.

There are a few other things I'm going to respond to from VOReason - but I HAVE to jump on this:

I APPLAUD my brothers and sisters who get excited about fighting it out for the last spot in DCA Finals. I'm glad (and encouraged) that there are people who get excited about being 1.65 out of finals.

You see, VOReason is a Buccaneer Cheerleader, and apparently and new one at that.

So let me remind him of a few things...

We ALL applauded the Bucs when they played Batman in 1990. And yes, God Bless the 1992 Bucs, who played "Fabulous Night For A Moondance" even BEFORE The Cadets turned it into a required compulsory piece in the HS Band community.

A lot of us - even those with multiple championships - have been in the position of watching DCA Finals after busting our hump all year to make the Night Show.

So here's to THAT corps... the 11th Place corps.

I AM 11th.

I AM 11th.

(No, over here.... I am 11th)

That guy over there... "I AM 11th"

.... just don't try to slay the 10th place drum major

when i marched the only thing that mattered was taking 1st place. anything less wa a failure. we had some good corps but 1st was where it was at. so i agree with you.

We weren't excited by any means, it brought back too many memories of not making finals in 1997. We were excited at the show we put on the field that night. Prelims 2005 out of all the years I have marched is one of my favourite performances. We were on fire that night. That was the exciting part. The not so exciting part came when we heard we were only 1.65 out of finals.

Corps have to set realistic goals for themselves. A 10th place corps all season long should not set a goal to get first at finals. You should set a reasonable goal of jumping a place or two, doing the best you can, entertain the crowd and have some FUN! You can easily setup your membership for disappointment if you set unrealistic goals.

never having been in the place you describe i can't relate. now i happen to be excited about the lower tier this year as i don't march and have no stake. this looks to be a great prelims with a lot of dogfights. it's hard to tell who's gonna make it & who isn't. this is great for dca and it's about time!

There are a few other things I'm going to respond to from VOReason - but I HAVE to jump on this:

I APPLAUD my brothers and sisters who get excited about fighting it out for the last spot in DCA Finals. I'm glad (and encouraged) that there are people who get excited about being 1.65 out of finals.

You see, VOReason is a Buccaneer Cheerleader, and apparently and new one at that.

We ALL applauded the Bucs when they played Batman in 1990. And yes, God Bless the 1992 Bucs, who played "Fabulous Night For A Moondance" even BEFORE The Cadets turned it into a required compulsory piece in the HS Band community.

A lot of us - even those with multiple championships - have been in the position of watching DCA Finals after busting our hump all year to make the Night Show.

I AM 11th.

I AM 11th.

:sad:

Thanks Tom !! For speaking up about having to fight for that 10th spot !

I was having a bit of a problem swallowing the somewhat condescending comments made about getting excited about being JUST out of Finals..

Heck, a lot of us out here would have given their "I" teeth to make top 10..until MBI ended their in-and-out games in the early 90's...

A perfect selection in the Bucs from the early 90's...heaven knows they had their struggles to come back..and HAVE THEY...with a vengence. :worthy:

OH - BTW...on a personal note..Let's not forget that 11th place corps from 1987 & 1990...You know, the one that helped create hub-bub both in the stands and in print..And that was before the "interwebs" LOL

Thanks again Tom...Here's to that 11th place corps!! Anytime, any year !! :sad:

Been there done that - MORE THAN ONCE !!! :lookaround:

Pat

I watched DCA finals many times - competed with the Wind Gap Blue Eagles back in the 70's and we were always way at the bottom. We worked as hard as or harder than the big guns but never did make it to the elite group, even though at times our hornline, even though only numbering in the low to mid 30's was only a few points from any of the monster lines, we were still out there having fun and really enjoying ourselves. Really who cares about all the politics - I don't care if your dead last or have the quality to be first - drum corps is all about commardarie and the lifetime of friends and memories not winning the game, it's nice to win but ..............I'm sure someone will complete this for me.

I AM 11th.

I AM 11th.

I AM 11th.

I AM 11th.

FYI..been a fan of the Bucs and senior corps in general since the mid '70's. That being said, I have posted on numerous occasions, my best wishes for someone..anyone..to step it up and give us another champ. It would be great for the activity. And I bear in mind the fact that a corp such as Cru may be uber excited with an eigth place finish, however I do not think that a corp say the caliber of this year's Statesmen, Cabs or Hurcs would be jumping for joy to end up second. And yes, Bucs have been adventurous with their repetoire over the years...sometimes to their detriment. Perhaps maybe someone may have to take the same chances to beat them....