how old?!

91 years young - Albert Ronca from Roseto, Pa. Albert marched with, until last winter, several drum corps, community bands, etc. He still did do taps at this year's Roseto memorial day services. There are also several guys well into their 70's with the Emmaus Sentinels and still moving and playing like youngsters!

Must be the water (or sumthin' :blink: ) in the Northeast. Lancers have members from teenage to mid 70s that do parades. Every time I cringe about our three 4th of July parades coming up I just think of certain members and think "###### if THEY can do it....". :blink:

But to go with Dales below post, doing parades is all I can do that qualifies as marching. Not only the feet can't handle all dayers but too much at home. Just amazing that older members with at home families have the support at home to be able to do this. :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

91 years young - Albert Ronca from Roseto, Pa. Albert marched with, until last winter, several drum corps, community bands, etc. He still did do taps at this year's Roseto memorial day services. There are also several guys well into their 70's with the Emmaus Sentinels and still moving and playing like youngsters!

Like I said above, how do you define "march" and "all-age"? We all "march", in our own ways, and unless you're talking DCI, everything else is "all-age".

Can you move down the street in time to the music? Can you stand in an arc? Can you stand in a pit? Can you move alumni-style around the field? Can you do DCA-style drill? What's the threshold?

Wow! 91!!!! Now, that's IMPRESSIVE! I hope I'm still able to remember my childrens' names when I'm 91, or even just to wake up in the morning!

Well, what do you mean by "march"? Do you mean be on the field (a la pit or A guard)? Or do you mean actually move around the field? And by all-age, you're meaning DCA-types, not alumni corps. (Ken "Ace" Peterson is in his 80's with Mighty St. Joe's Alumni, Riggie Laus is around 80 with Steel City Ambassadors Alumni.)

Harvey Olderman, I believe, was 81 with the CT Hurcs in 1981, but he was in the A guard. In 1999, in talking with Kilties, I seem to recall they had four generations of one family in the corps (the great-grandfather was in A guard too).

If Tom Meek is still on the field with Brigs this season, he's 60+ (61? - Someone can confirm that fact.) Same with Bill Hoyt at Cru. But, I'm sure there have been older guys.

I've marched with many people in their 50's on the field, all brass players. I think perc and guard are for younger folks.

Yes Tom Meek is still out there marching baritone on the field

I knew a man who filled holes in a jr. corps as needed and he was 35ish.

whats the oldest age you've seen someone march in an all-age corps? i'm curious

harvey olderman..........he was in his 80's but i'm not sure of his actual age.

Frank Lozar marched with Minnesota Brass, Inc., always looking younger than his age, marching the rapid drill of MBI on sop into his mid-70s, until a few years ago.

Ken "Ace" Peterson marched with Empire for several seasons, through his 63rd birthday, I recall. I know his last season with Empire, but I'll let Ace say how old he is now. Ace is still out there with Mighty St. Joe's, along with the young Donny et al.

When I picked on Jeff DeMello's age, and how young Francesca is, his comeback topped mine. 'Nuf said.

Marching competitive drill, I was next-to-oldest in Empire, one of the elders in the Kilties, and the oldest in the CorpsVets. I consider myself a young whippersnapper, no match for Harvey, Lozar and others. :tongue::ph34r:

Don't remember the mans name,,,,but in 1994 with the Macy's All Stars I met a man who marched "A Guard" for the All Stars and proudly wore his Skyliner Uniform for whom he also marched "A" guard. He was 75 years young then. Hope he is still around. Great guy. (we shared a rest room together) Wish I knew his name.