The Port Huron Pub

Matt, grow up. After doing 40 years of corps, I know high school band has come a long way but there is NO WAY they are even close to top 6 corps as far as execution yet and that's a fact. With regard to demand....you only get credit for it if you EXECUTE it! A simple clean well executed show will beat a highly demanding, poorly executed show every time. Two things have to happen for Coats to beat out Cavies. One, execute the hell out of their show or Two, water it down so they can execute. Plain and simple. 73 SCV played one heck of a diffulcult show and executed it over the top much to the surprise of all the other corps who thought they were going to win DCI that year. And it's happened time and time again over the years. I just love people who march a couple of years in band and a couple of years in corps and can make statements like above. God help us from all the EXPERTS.

I haven't been to a show yet, so can't comment, and was a vocal music girl, so have no expertise on the subject. I do think Cavies always take the field with a profound statement. I really like thier hats, and they always seem disciplined. A good friend was on the dl last year, too bad it wasn't a good year for them, he was actually asked to come on after the season started. Tell me what you all think about the Bluedoats that is holding them back, brass, percussion, the content of the show, poor drill? I have just watched a bit here and there. I also just received and email from Cadets seeking a horn player, and I guess an actor. Does their show have a living room on the field? What is it about? Their show that is. How are Colts looking compared to last year? How is Glassmen looking compared to Colts? Phantom is coming to my hometown for a rehearsal day, I however will be at two shows this weekend. Last but not least, tell this computer illiterate mom how to post those cute little happy face guys.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in every show (except 2007) they had a moment or two of "Oh, wow!" even this early in the season. I haven't seen the opener, but everything else that I've viewed doesn't have that element. Maybe it's because I'm watching it in a small window, maybe it's because it isn't live, maybe it's because I expect this from Cavies now and it's old hat... the show didn't seem to work for a championship.

And maybe this will be another 06 where none of the Big Three have the killer show. We'll know more later.

None of the Big three have a killer show? 2 of the 3 had a killer show...

There are plently of "Oh, wow" moments in this years' shows. There are many visuals, and there are many musical moments that are so different and unique.

I don't get it.... I think you guys are really jaded when it comes to the Cavies. This is the skeleton, and there is likely much more to come. What's there has more effective substance than anything else I've seen so far. I guess I 'll know more this weekend when I see everyone in Madison.

Matt, grow up. After doing 40 years of corps, I know high school band has come a long way but there is NO WAY they are even close to top 6 corps as far as execution yet and that's a fact. With regard to demand....you only get credit for it if you EXECUTE it! A simple clean well executed show will beat a highly demanding, poorly executed show every time. Two things have to happen for Coats to beat out Cavies. One, execute the hell out of their show or Two, water it down so they can execute. Plain and simple. 73 SCV played one heck of a diffulcult show and executed it over the top much to the surprise of all the other corps who thought they were going to win DCI that year. And it's happened time and time again over the years. I just love people who march a couple of years in band and a couple of years in corps and can make statements like above. God help us from all the EXPERTS.

Wow, way to be a ###. :laughing:

1.) Never once did he claim to be an "expert".

2.) It doesn't take a genius with a Ph. D. in Music Composition to hear that one book doesn't sound as technically hard as another. Good grief, my 14 year old cousin can do that, and his only formal musical training is guitar lessons reading tab.

3.) Yes, after 40 years things have DRASTICALLY changed in the marching band world. Heck, many things have changed just within the last 5-10 years. No longer are bands marching "dangerously fast" at a whopping 132 bpm playing Sousa marches and folk songs like they were 40 years ago. Now days top tier HS bands are doing shows that are just as demanding visually and musically as some World Class drum and bugle corps. Now many schools put as much time and effort into their marching band programs as their concert band programs, that even marching bands are now playing grade 5-6 music on the field, something that was unheard of just 20 years ago, much less 40 years ago. Perhaps you should take a listen to what is being written for high school bands now, before you yourself become "one of the experts".

It stands for Boston Area Crusaders. Back in the day almost all of the corps members were from Boston. Then as other coprs folded members started coming from different parts of the Boston Area. Therefore, Boston Area Crusaders (now this is the very short version of the story.) Now there have been other meanings attached to the "A" in BAC and there was a time way back when they really did live up to this attached meaning. :laughing: At this point in history it is just a beloved nickname for them. Kind of like "Cavies", "Bloooooo...". "Devils", etc.

I don't think you offended anyone here. I admire your passion for wanting to promote what really is most important. I just didn't want anyone here to go away thinking that BAC (or specifically Drumcorps Mom) is out "to get" anyone. If there is a corps that just goes out there to please the auduience, it is BAC. I too think this is a hoot and you will find many different people, from many different backgrounds, from many different age groups with many different oppinions. Thus, the reason DCP exists. It absolutely thrives on controversy. So, welcome from the land of lurking, I really do wish you, your child and your corps the best of luck this season.

I am going to expand on the first part of this post.

BAC stands for Family, Life Long Friends, and the experience of a lifetime. Those 3 letters together can spell out many many things, but their meaning is never lost. Where ever they hold camps, Boston, Miami, Clearwater, Orlando, BAC will always mean Home.

I am going to expand on the first part of this post.

BAC stands for Family, Life Long Friends, and the experience of a lifetime. Those 3 letters together can spell out many many things, but their meaning is never lost. Where ever they hold camps, Boston, Miami, Clearwater, Orlando, BAC will always mean Home.

Beautiful. Good luck this summer, BAC, I'm looking forward to seeing you!

(As a BK alum, that's a little hard to say, but it's completely true!) :tongue:

I don't get it.... I think you guys are really jaded when it comes to the Cavies. This is the skeleton, and there is likely much more to come. What's there has more effective substance than anything else I've seen so far. I guess I 'll know more this weekend when I see everyone in Madison.

It can be argued that we've seen the same show for 9 years. I don't mean that in a bad way, because Cavies do have the dominant show design at the moment, but it's a refinement of the same formula.

BAC stands for Family, Life Long Friends, and the experience of a lifetime.

i thought it stood for "Bad ### Crusaders" :tongue:

It can be argued that we've seen the same show for 9 years. I don't mean that in a bad way, because Cavies do have the dominant show design at the moment, but it's a refinement of the same formula.

I don't know why people assume that every show this decade has been the same thing. To me, it seems that some people watch the show a couple times, don't really look into it, and just see "Oh, this is Frameworks Part Gabillion." When I watch their shows from this decade, I see a different show each year. The music is different; the drill is different. Is the style the same? Of course! Every corps has a certain style. However, I highly doubt Michael Gaines just cuts and pastes the drill for each show. Certain formations will overlap. That happens to any corps. I think people just hate on The Cavaliers because they are dominate and great. On DCP, it tends to be the same thing, "I wish someone else would be in the top 3 or some other corps would win." Well how about you just enjoy the show. Mmmk? Thanks.

Venting. :tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

Oh, and I'm really looking forward to seeing some drum corps soon. Saturday cannot come soon enough!

I don't know why people assume that every show this decade has been the same thing. To me, it seems that some people watch the show a couple times, don't really look into it, and just see "Oh, this is Frameworks Part Gabillion." When I watch their shows from this decade, I see a different show each year. The music is different; the drill is different. Is the style the same? Of course! Every corps has a certain style. However, I highly doubt Michael Gaines just cuts and pastes the drill for each show. Certain formations will overlap. That happens to any corps. I think people just hate on The Cavaliers because they are dominate and great. On DCP, it tends to be the same thing, "I wish someone else would be in the top 3 or some other corps would win." Well how about you just enjoy the show. Mmmk? Thanks.

Venting. :tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

It's not a literal "same show", it's the feeling that the show gives off. In 1999, they blew us away with their new style. By 2006 my Finals group was saying "If Cavies win, we get to go to the bar early."

Where's the next step in evolution? Where's the next big leap? Between the design realignment at BD, Cadets, and PR and the ascendancy of Bluecoats and Crown, it's understandable that Cavies could be seen as somewhat retro. Cavies haven't had to change because they were so far in the lead, and good on them for it.

Well how about you just enjoy the show. Mmmk? Thanks.

I saw it last night. I tried. I didn't find a lot to enjoy.

Mmmk? Thanks.