The Port Huron Pub

It's not a literal "same show", it's the feeling that the show gives off. In 1999, they blew us away with their new style. By 2006 my Finals group was saying "If Cavies win, we get to go to the bar early."

I've gone to the bar early every single year since I aged out (2003). Kinda sad.

But..... thank goodness for the Captain! :tongue:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a literal "same show", it's the feeling that the show gives off. In 1999, they blew us away with their new style. By 2006 my Finals group was saying "If Cavies win, we get to go to the bar early."

I can understand that. Like I said in my last post though, I can say the same thing about almost any corps. Besides the obvious (Pioneer always doing Irish), I can say, "I'm sick of Regiment playing classical" or "I'm sick of BD playing jazz and always doing the park and blow." (Oh, for the record, I like PR a lot and BD's music is pretty cool.)

Different strokes. :tongue:

By 2006 my Finals group was saying "If Cavies win, we get to go to the bar early."

But you were saying that about BD, right?

Where's the next step in evolution? Where's the next big leap? Between the design realignment at BD, Cadets, and PR and the ascendancy of Bluecoats and Crown, it's understandable that Cavies could be seen as somewhat retro. Cavies haven't had to change because they were so far in the lead, and good on them for it.

I think what we are seeing this year IS the next step. It's not enough for the hornline to just to march and play anymore.

Wow, way to be a ###. :tongue:

1.) Never once did he claim to be an "expert".

2.) It doesn't take a genius with a Ph. D. in Music Composition to hear that one book doesn't sound as technically hard as another. Good grief, my 14 year old cousin can do that, and his only formal musical training is guitar lessons reading tab.

3.) Yes, after 40 years things have DRASTICALLY changed in the marching band world. Heck, many things have changed just within the last 5-10 years. No longer are bands marching "dangerously fast" at a whopping 132 bpm playing Sousa marches and folk songs like they were 40 years ago. Now days top tier HS bands are doing shows that are just as demanding visually and musically as some World Class drum and bugle corps. Now many schools put as much time and effort into their marching band programs as their concert band programs, that even marching bands are now playing grade 5-6 music on the field, something that was unheard of just 20 years ago, much less 40 years ago. Perhaps you should take a listen to what is being written for high school bands now, before you yourself become "one of the experts".

Wow, maybe we sometimes have to be ###'s to deal with all the people "ripping apart" corps shows for whatever reason and not applying the same evenly across the board. Maybe Cavies are not playing as difficult music as Coats but why isn't it also noted that maybe Coats are not executing their show as good as Cavies.

1). I know he did not "claim" to be an expert but the statement says that Cavies were NOT playing as hard a book as Coats therefore were somehow not as good. He did not say it didn't "sound" as technically good as Coats. AND I did not say he was even wrong in saying so. I said that EXECUTION was what mattered not playing to hardest music that can be found.

2). Your right we don't have to have had a music degree to judge what we're hearing or seeing for that matter. And yes my 13 year daughter can tell me what corps she thinks is good and which corps are not, just like your cousin. And she is just starting out on trumpet.

3). You don't have to give me a history lesson on either drum corps OR marching band. Not only have I been marching drum corps since 1968 (40 years ago for you math challenged newbies) but I have been involved with marching band as well. I am very aware of the changes band AND CORPS has gone thru in 40 years. My son's high school band marched shows that most likely would have challenged my first corps for the state championship. I've seen top tier BOA marching bands including Plymouth-Canton (Michigan) who have fantastic shows. VERY drum corps. But put head to head with either Bluecoats or Cavaliers and they will lose. Not that the bands don't have either the talent or the show to play. It comes down to enough practice to EXECUTE the hell out of the show. They can even try and play a harder show...but again execution is what rules. That's what I was trying to get across. So with that being said I quess I could claim to be an "expert" since I have listen to bands today. Nothing personal. Nuff said.

Beautiful. Good luck this summer, BAC, I'm looking forward to seeing you!

(As a BK alum, that's a little hard to say, but it's completely true!) :tongue:

I think I could say that about every corps my son has been with, in addition to the 11 years of high school marching band, and jazz band. Band people are the best.

I think I could say that about every corps my son has been with, in addition to the 11 years of high school marching band, and jazz band. Band people are the best.

The one wasn't in high school for 11 years! I have 3 sons, and had an extra "son" from high school band live with us for 3 years.