The Port Huron Pub

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow honestly the Cavies hornline already sounds better than last year.

man, most definitely. good for them!

I've never heard them sound that good this early. Sames goes for the drums.

The show looks great so far, and if this year is anything like the past, there's still a ton more to add.

That is for sure. We should be asleep getting rested up for when we climb the bleachers once again to watch our lil' darlings. I just thought it was poorly worded from a parent standpoint. Last night I read several pages about parents, and others, adopting kids and or corps, and making care packages and goodie bags for those that weren't so fortunate as to have their parents reading DCP every night, and maybe not get as many little goodies as some do. I think that is the spirit of drum corps. I sometimes feel like crying when my child moves from one group to another (kind of like leaving the best teacher ever), until next year's teacher is the best ever. I always like something about every show, some part of the drill, some part of the music, one section, whatever. That's all I am saying. I try to think of it in terms of "for the love of the game".

Ok, I have to come to DrumCorpMom's defense here. She really has been totally misunderstood (which happens very easily when typing instead of talking face to face). DrumCorpsMom does all of the above and more. I know she is too humble to ever come on here and state what she has done for many kids (including mine) for many years. This mom exudes the "Spirit of Drum Corps". Trust me, "the love of the game" is truly the priority for both her and her child. I don't think there is anything wrong with the spirit of "healthy competition" either. As has been stated before if we did not care about scores, we would not be lurking here to all of hours of the night waiting to see them. If all any of us really cared about was how much fun our child was having, you would just wait for a phone call from them to tell you they had a great show. The scores give us all something to gage the season by (although not really accurate until they all meet under the same roof with the same panel of judges), to see how each corps "stacks up" with each other. This is exciting for Boston to be so close to the Coats, we were nowhere near them last year. At this point, we have broken into the pack of the elite top 7 and we are very excited about that. Catching the Blue Coats and even passing them would just be another way to gage that BAC has a show package that is capable of competing in that top 7 bracket - that's all that was being said. It was nothing personal against the Blue Coats at all, they just happen to be the corps that is directly in front of us.

OK = back to regularly scheduled programming. :laughing:

Well said, Mom.

Now that 30 years have passed since I last marched competitively, I appreciate that in 1994 I was blessed to be able to march in a reunion corps that allowed me to experience the best people who ever marched in Northeastern drum corps. We (The 27th Lancers Alumni Corps), were made up of members from a lot of corps from New England, NY, and NJ. Every single one of those people were dedicated to a cause, and the result was on the field in Foxboro that night in August. There were Boston Crusaders, Garfield Cadets, North Star, Connecticut Hurricanes, Surfers, Jeanettes, Socialites, and countless other groups on the field that night wearing the 27th uniform along side 27th alumni. It was not a night to celebrate the glory of the 27th Lancers. It was a night to celebrate the brotherhood and sisterhood of the drum corps family. (And believe me, there was a lot of celebrating that night!)

What the people marching today will realize when they are my age is that giving your best effort, being entertaining, and relishing in the applause of the audience are what it is really about. It's awesome to come away in first place - - - don't get me wrong. But realizing goals and cherishing your achievements are what it's all about. If the goal isn't reached - well, someone went and did it just a little bit better.

2008 DCI members - my best to you for a season you'll never forget. Make friends, bowl over audiences and get them on their feet. Your success is the fact that you are on the field. Best of luck!

well said!

Oh I am all for my kid's corps as well. Things often are misunderstood. I just felt like it might be something you would want to post on your private corps website. That's all I'm saying. I know no one in the Boston corps, I loved their show last year, especially their color guard. I wish them them best. I am curious though, what does the A stand for in the Bac? With that said, I am going to get off of this subject. I was just stating my opinion like everyone else, and really only read DCP for fun. It is great that so many people are interested in the sport of the arts, and I think it is a hoot that there are so many groupies young and old chatting about it. I have been reading it for 4 years and never posted a thing until the last couple of days. I hope every kid has their dream come true. Mine happens to want his section to finish first at championship time, so I guess we could say he hopes to pass every other corps by the end of the season. All the more sweet if his entire corps finished in the top 3. Sorry I offended Boston fans. It had nothing to do with that particular group

You didn't offend me. I just didn't say what I wanted to say in the right way. Off the subject now. Here's to a great season for everyone!