Bluecoats Drumline

No disrespect to the Bluecoats - and best wishes to them for a great season. But let's keep it real; can you really tell how clean something is on a Youtbe video? :tongue:

Enjoy the season - and by all means , get out and see it LIVE!

Fred O.

Yes, Yes I can. I'm a drummer and I'm able to get past the quality of the recording and extrapolate a resonable degree of what's going on.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloo's stick heights looked spot on...probably one of the first things they work on, but nothing drives me crazier than bad stick heights

Checked out both Bluecoats and Cavaliers online... very impressed by both clips, both for different reasons.

Can't wait to see both groups a few times this year! Yay for blowing my vacation time on drum corps trips!

meh. watching/listening right now... to me, it's more of the same. clean as hell, but all i really hear is a bunch of diddles/rolls and ritard-ed triplet or sixteenth skeletons.

honestly, i'm beyond impressed at the cleanliness, but with those rhythms, i have to ask... really, how hard is it to be as clean as they are?

yes. the way the rhythms are phrased makes them change meter over and over again. in addition to that, the sticking of the "easy" rhythms, the layering of rhythms between sections and the dynamic shaping is what makes it difficult. it takes an enormous amount of control.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah wow.

Yeah that Allan Kristensen has no idea what he's talking about.

he said in the lot. bd was filthy in the lot last year. they were much cleaner on the field than they were in the lot. bloo was virtually tickless on the field last year (i have their finals tape), but bd played more in the their show, and was still reasonably clean. it was a toss up.

It sounds like a good recording on my computer... have you tried clicking "watch in high quality"?

Fair enough, if you say so. It's certainly clear enough to be able to tell that that those kids are kickin' *ss. But I still don't think you can assess the cleanliness of anyone's line with any serious degree of accuracy on a recording. Too many variables: what kind of mic'/recording device, what kind of settings, where was it recorded, how it was transferred, what are you listening to it on, etc.

In any case, if sounds good and you're into it - knock yourself out, have a good time. But realize that it is what it is, and don't get too overheated when the numbers start coming out and the scores are lower (or higher, as the case may be) than you thought they would be when you saw/heard the clip.

No disrespect intended, just my 2 cents worth.

Fred O.

But realize that it is what it is, and don't get too overheated when the numbers start coming out and the scores are lower (or higher, as the case may be) than you thought they would be when you saw/heard the clip.

Well, don't forget that there's two sections judged to allocate the percussion score, and only one of them is the drumline :biggrin:

I hope these vids are still up when I get home from work (the IT dept is tricksy...) especially the Cavaliers vid as their battery last year left A LOT to be desired (on par w/ crown's '06 line... not to bring THAT up again).

Also, I've said it on here before that personally I'm not a fan of Mikey Mac's writing (or BD's beats the last two years)... I can definitely respect the cleanliness ('Coats) and the technical majesty of the notes (some of the split parts that BD has tackled blow my mind) but it doesn't stir my soul like books from Rennick, Aungst, or Mikey Jackson.

SUB TOPIC:

Is there an arranger out there that while their line might be straight up "MISTER" clean the arrangements just don't do it for you?

Well, don't forget that there's two sections judged to allocate the percussion score, and only one of them is the drumline :biggrin:

Yeah, no argument that the pit is an important component (am I assuming correctly - that's what you're talking about, right?). But isn't that drifting a little OT as far as this thread is concerned?

Fred O.