snare drummers over 40?

We have one snare, one pit, one trumpet, one mellophone, and one guard (turning 40 next Monday) in the over forty club. I think over half of the corps is now over thirty. It is truly a senior corps.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm "attempting" Bass #5 at age 53... Been at all camps. I was a snare drummer but had to learn split bass - never did it before. Bass 5 being easier BUT way heavier. I'm never going to complain about carrying a snare drum again!

I hope that I can accomplish this. At this age you just can't show up and play.

For the new guy....

The 2007 Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps average age was 49....we had a very few sons/daughters marching who were early-20's down, but some members pushing 70....I'd say most were 45-55....

I have heard some of the drummers talk (now, after the fact) about how tough it was to march a full field show...

...our 15 snares were Kmen alumni from '71-'76 (IIRC)....so no 40 yr olds there...

....and, as you can see, we marched tymps, too...

http://www.coloneljake.com/BAM1BAM/AK2007/

....I'd have to say, a lot of this is all about a burning desire to march again....

Edited by GuyW

For the new guy....

The 2007 Anaheim Kingsmen Alumni Corps average age was 49....we had a very few sons/daughters marching who were early-20's down, but some members pushing 70....I'd say most were 45-55....

I have heard some of the drummers talk (now, after the fact) about how tough it was to march a full field show...

...our 15 snares were Kmen alumni from '71-'76 (IIRC)....so no 40 yr olds there...

....and, as you can see, we marched tymps, too...

http://www.coloneljake.com/BAM1BAM/AK2007/

....I'd have to say, a lot of this is all about a burning desire to march again....

2 of the snare drummers in our line (Renegades) were in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps last year... Scott and Earl...

Edited by Imadam

I'm "attempting" Bass #5 at age 53... Been at all camps. I was a snare drummer but had to learn split bass - never did it before. Bass 5 being easier BUT way heavier. I'm never going to complain about carrying a snare drum again!

Holy Crap, you're insane! :angry: Ironman! Have a great season.

Edited by Mike_B

well, you got a cold one waiting for you when you come off the field at prelims,..............Hat's off to you!

The other interesting thing about the Govies , is the parade line, I'm not the oldest. Roark is 61, and Bob is 72.

WOW! :angry:

Feels like it some days.

(I'm 49 for those who can count)

John, quit whining and go workout!

Or stretch.

Or both.

Or have a :laughing:

Edited by Roark1

The last year I marched (2000 Brigadiers), I was 48. The following year, there was a Marine cat who marched there that was 52. From 1985 on, I was by far the oldest guy in any of the snarelines I marched in but, it didn't stop me from being as energetic or as active as the youngest person in the line. I did that by faithfully working out 3-5 times per week, weekends were my time to be a kid again. I think you can do it as long as you're willing to keep an open mind about change and be pro active with physical training.

Frank,

You're just a kid!! :angry:

I marched snare with the Sunrisers up to last year (55) when I filled in a soprano spot. this year I was playing Contra until the corps went inactive.

As Frank says, it just takes desire and preparation!

Hi John! Can't wait to pay the Govies a visit again. :angry:

We have a member in the Bucs snare line that is over 40. His name is Irv, he's awesome!

Jerry

I thought Swerv was still in his mid 30's?

Feels like it some days.

(I'm 49 for those who can count)

John, quit whining and go workout!

Or stretch.

Or both.

Or have a :thumbup:

I knew that would flush you out. :angry:

Does anyone else have snare hands that hurt? Maybe I need to cool them around something cool, what that might be is the next problem. :laughing: