2008 Cadets show

I really like pointing this out -- you're about 14 years behind --- :lookaround:

1994 Cadets "West Side Story" Show -- section "I have a Love" and "Somewhere" --- 9:51 on the DCI video stream -- the pairing of Male/Male and Female/Female couples.

I still can't believe they got that one by!!

I first noticed the pairing at the DCI show in Atlanta -- Tara Stadium -- I just sat there with a big smile on my face -- how cool was that!! :lookaround:

And yes, I've seen it in other shows from other corps.

If I remember that correctly, it involved the guard members "searching" for the right person in a beautifully designed movement sequence. At the end, there was one male and one female couple in addition to the numerous boy/girl pairings. Very subtle and well done. It was mentioned in at least one printed review at the time, but no one showed up with torches and pitchforks.

Fortunately, these days we have the internet, which allows the morally outraged to get their rage on (even when based on a misunderstanding of the show message) in a much more immediate and convenient fashion :lookaround:

Oh, those Cadets - the eternal boat-rockers!

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately, these days we have the internet, which allows the morally outraged to get their rage on (even when based on a misunderstanding of the show message) in a much more immediate and convenient fashion :lookaround:

Hmm.... I didnt see anybody morally outraged... just someone who said it was 'not ok' with him, and others. Thats about as calm and fair as you can make a statement. I really dont get it...what's wrong with his beliefs?? As long as he's not beating people up or burning abortion clinics, there's really no harm to anyone. I guess I just feel for him because 6 or 7 years ago, I would have felt the same way. Going through college and corps CAN change that (it did for me), but it doesnt have to, and it doesnt make it the ONLY right way to be...

:lookaround:

Well, The Cadets are a drum corps...one of the very best in the world.

Cadets are a show band! One of the very best in the world! :lookaround:

Edited by Perry S

Cadets are a show band! One of the very best in the world!

Yeah...all that high stepping and marching at 120. Good one!!!

(if you're going to call the cadets a band - at least put them in BOA...theyve earned that much)

<= in a show band

cadets DNE show band... :lookaround:

Then so are the Troopers, BD, SCV, Regiment, etc....if you believe that is true, then OK, I agree.

You called the Troopers a Band??? Oh noes!!!

*fully expects to find MikeD impaled on a sabre somewhere in Wyoming*

Hmm.... I didnt see anybody morally outraged... just someone who said it was 'not ok' with him, and others. Thats about as calm and fair as you can make a statement. I really dont get it...what's wrong with his beliefs?? As long as he's not beating people up or burning abortion clinics, there's really no harm to anyone. I guess I just feel for him because 6 or 7 years ago, I would have felt the same way. Going through college and corps CAN change that (it did for me), but it doesnt have to, and it doesnt make it the ONLY right way to be...

That was a general comment about the immediacy of internet reaction, and how easily one's perception of a show or idea can generate instant controversy, even if the perception is really not what was intended by the designers. Case in point - two women hugging at the end of the show, intended as a show of affection, can be an instant scandal.

Meanwhile, 14 yrs ago, there did seem to be a hint of a more provocative idea designed in, and with the slower communication methods of the day - no scandal.

Fast information is great, usually, but a deep breath is a good thing too.

The comment was not directed at any one individual, and I appreciate you not trying to direct it for me. :lookaround:

Well, The Cadets are a drum corps...one of the very best in the world.

Call them whatever you want to.

Only 4 short years ago, I drove 10 hours round trip to see them practice for one day, then do a show, in late June!

This year, I don't even want to drive 45 minutes to see them.

Call them whatever you want to.

Only 4 short years ago, I drove 10 hours round trip to see them practice for one day, then do a show, in late June!

This year, I don't even want to drive 45 minutes to see them.

OK.