Lesser Known Corps

My advice would be to talk with members in different corps after the season.

Pick one whose style of music, teaching etc fits you but also one whose style of management fits you as well.

Some places treat their members differently than others, some more like adults and some in more of a highly disciplined way.

Some eat better than others. Different strokes for different folks. The 2 you mentioned, Blue Stars and Colts, are both

tremendous organizations and have been for decades.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My advice would be to talk with members in different corps after the season.

Pick one whose style of music, teaching etc fits you but also one whose style of management fits you as well.

Some places treat their members differently than others, some more like adults and some in more of a highly disciplined way.

Some eat better than others. Different strokes for different folks. The 2 you mentioned, Blue Stars and Colts, are both

tremendous organizations and have been for decades.

Another idea would be to observe the corps when they're off the field at a show site. Watch them get off the buses, warm up, march to the stadium, march out of the stadium, and then load up the truck and buses.

You can tell a lot about the "culture" of a corps this way. You'll easily pick up on how the staff treats the members and how the members treat each other. Watching a practice is another great idea to decide who to try out for. You'll probably be able to tell which one would be a better match for you.

If you feel comfortable doing it, you could even go up to a member of the section that you're interested in and introduce yourself and let them know you're thinking about trying out (after they're off the field and done with any post-show responsibilities). I had a few people do that to me over the years. Two of them actually made it to auditions and both were surprised when I remembered them.

Both Colts and Blue Stars are great organizations with honorable histories. Either one is a good choice.

Edited by Scout

You have the right mindset for joining a corps. I was never interested in ring chasing either. Initially, I wanted to goto Phantom Regiment and be the next Tommy Feagin. Well after I figured out that wasn't going to happen, I joined the Colts for some experience. I ended up staying there for three years and aging out because of the friends and relationships I had built with the staff and volunteers. And...if I may throw this in...there are plenty of people within the non-top 6 corps who could very easily hold their own with the big boys, but choose not to corps hop.

Pick a corps based on its values and its members, not on its placement.

Edited by dciguy01

My fear, however, is that while I have the mindset of "experience over placement", a lot of people I may encounter and become great friends with during my first season would be at that corp just to get their foot in the door and would, in the following years, move up to the bigger corps, which may not be that great for me seeing many of the people I marched with moving on while I stay put.

Should this even be a concern for me, or should I just try out this winter where I want to be, and not even worry about anything else?

There are many people in Blue Stars that have marched there for many years. They had one person age out last year with seven years, and another with six years. I do not believe you would have a problem at either corps with not knowing anyone year to year. Both have a very rich history of being a family atmosphere, and have many loyal alumni with second and third-generation members now marching there.

March where you want to, and if you can't do that, find another corps that's decently run and you know you won't starve. I wouldn't say I marched at my first choice of drum corps, but I enjoyed my experience nonetheless and am happy for everything I experienced. But again, make sure you're marching where you want to, unless finances are an issue, don't go bankrupt over corps.

I wouldn't call them "lesser known". They both have long and respected histories in drum corps.

Yeah, but that's only for olde phartes like us with long memories. For people around Dylans age who haven't leaned a lot of DC history, it's "what have they done lately".

Hey Dylan, join either one. That way if they get a lot better in the future you can say you helped them get there. Personally I joined a Senior corps when it was getting back on the field. Many years later (22 after I joined :lookaround: ) the corps won DCA. Figured since I helped the corps rebuild, I was partially responsible for the later success.

As far as people moving up to other corps, hey it happens. As long as those people don't let it affect what is going on for the current season it shouldn't be a worry.

And from Scout: :lookaround: "If you feel comfortable doing it, you could even go up to a member of the section that you're interested in and introduce yourself and let them know you're thinking about trying out (after they're off the field and done with any post-show responsibilities). I had a few people do that to me over the years. Two of them actually made it to auditions and both were surprised when I remembered them."

Did the same thing when I was thinking of returning to corps after 19 years. In the middle of my 5th year back so it must work.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

It's cool that you are making some life changing decisions. I tried out for the Colts back in 1993 and they offered me a spot. I ended up turning it down because I really thought I should finish college right away. What a joke (Colts finished 9th that year if I remember correctly). The only thing I regret in life was not joining the Colts. I could have been part of participating in something very special but my shortsightedness blew it for me. The experience of participating with the Colts could have been great, and something I could take with me for the rest of my life. It didn't matter that they weren't PR, or Madison or whatever. Also, Blue Stars are playing some really amazing stuff right now. In a short time in the highest class they are making waves. Either choice would be awesome. Don't let one slip away.

You have the right mindset for joining a corps. I was never interested in ring chasing either. Initially, I wanted to goto Phantom Regiment and be the next Tommy Feagin. Well after I figured out that wasn't going to happen, I joined the Colts for some experience. I ended up staying there for three years and aging out because of the friends and relationships I had built with the staff and volunteers. And...if I may throw this in...there are plenty of people within the non-top 6 corps who could very easily hold their own with the big boys, but choose not to corps hop.

Pick a corps based on its values and its members, not on its placement.

Ditto for me. I marched two years with a smaller Division III corps (they'd be what now....Open class?) that folded. I decided to go to the Colts primarily because they were close and because I was dating a girl who was marching the corps I was with. We couldn't both go to Madison obviously, and never really had any great desire to march Phantom (no offense intended to the fine folks at PR), so I went to Colts.

It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I ended up staying with the Colts for the rest of my five years in drum corps, loving nearly every minute of it, and never minding the high likelyhood that I would never get a championship ring. The occasional top 12 medal was nice, but it wasn't about that. The Colts are a solid organization with great community support (nearly everyone in Dubuque knows who the Colts are), a great reputation around the drum corps world, and a bright future.

After two years in a small corps, and a couple of years as a lead baritone with the Colts, I probably could have marched with any corps that I wanted, but I just couldn't leave the Colts. They were my family and I was going to spend every minute of my drum corps career with them. From what I know of the Blue Stars, they are a very similar organization, smaller when I marched, but nowadays, a very comparable corps to the Colts.

I would say that either Colts or Blue Stars would be a great experience for you. Also, if you try out for one, and don't make it, don't let it discourage you...go ahead and try out for the other. One corps may have more spots open for your particular instrument/specialty and I'm comfortable recommending both corps wholeheartedly.

I can only agree with many of the posters here. Both are great organizations. Lots of members return to BS every year. I know of several that started marching at 15 and are now in their 4th or 5th year! From what I've seen Colts are very much like the Blue Stars when it comes to the approach of things. One other thing that should give you an impression of the general atmosphere is to go to their forums. Hang out and read, post your questions etc. you'll find a very friendly bunch there.

What ever your decision, I'm sure you'll find a great home with either one of these corps. Good luck

I have the opportunity to both march with the blue stars and be an intern with them also. It was really cool to see the atmosphere of the corps from both sides. Seeing as I was not planning on marching until my euph instructor at college told me some drum corps had called....blue-something...stars..coats... had called. Well it was the Blue Stars and yeah just worked out and I was so glad that it did. They were close and worked with me alot with my schedule seeing as the spring rehearshals so well work with alot of collegiate music tours....not so much but they def helped me out alot with that. I also went in with the "big" corps mentality...that definately changed very quickly. I remember just some of the talks and the respect many members had for us for the build up back from div 1 to 3 to 2. And just the history that the corps had also. this is just my personal story, but the point i am trying to make is that every corps is so unique and amazing in their own way every season. the ultimate goal is always to win the championship. but i mean think about it. in any size or placing corps at seasons end, you have worked your butt off and created something that no one else has done or will do again with this group of people. i think your thinking is brilliant to start with. you realize that their is awsome opportunities in the "lesser" known corps! research, ask questions to members and on corps forums, and then follow your gut, it is usually right! Good Luck!