Flaming bag on the front door step

Do you like the show concept?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Forget execution. Do you like the show concept and script?

• Yes
    • No

Yes, and I see that you still don't comprehend the logic behind it.

I'm done arguing with you people. It is obvious that anyone that doesn't fit into the stereotypical Drum Corps Planet mindset can not have a discussion here without being summarily dismissed, insulted, or labeled a "borg"

Have fun with your "I hate the Cadets"

You have a very nice avatar. :worthy:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm done arguing with you people. It is obvious that anyone that doesn't fit into the stereotypical Drum Corps Planet mindset can not have a discussion here without being summarily dismissed, insulted, or labeled a "borg"

Have fun with your "I hate the Cadets".

Takin my ball and going home to mommy.... :thumbup:

we don't hate the cadets. the cadets have produced some of my favorite shows, and that certainly holds true for many others on this forum.

we don't even necessarily hate what the cadets are doing. a lot of people dislike amplifiers and narration in drum corps shows, but at this point many are willing to accept it in peace, and many used to hate the concept and now appreciate it as something that truly can "add" to a show.

what we hate is how the cadets are doing things, and more importantly, how they are treating us. this year's narration, like last year's narration, is very poorly written. it steps on what attracts us to this activity, the music and drill. this year's narration is depressing and offensive to many, trite and disingenuous to many others. above all else, the fact that the cadets continue to put out shows that integrate narration incredibly poorly even after the vast majority of fans, new and old, have expressed quite clearly that it is very much unappreciated and unwanted, is insulting. it's insulting that george hopkins has said, and i'm paraphrasing here, that he not only doesn't care what the audience thinks, he's going to continue specifically because the audience rejects it. it's insulting that the cadets feel the need to give us life lessons about appreciating drum corps, or finding happiness, or singing to us when we want to hear horns and drums. it's insulting that they feel the need to do those things while being apparently incapable of doing them well, but at the same time, dead seat on doing them, no matter what.

we don't hate the cadets. we don't even necessarily hate narration. we absolutely hate what the cadets are doing, and we wish they would stop, becase we love what they used to do.

Hopkins is the George Lucas of Drum Corps. Remember the days when Lucas made good movies with nice special effects? Nowadays we see a Lucas movie like the 3 newest addition to the Star Wars franchise or the Indiana Jones movie, and the audience cannot help but moan. So much CGI it makes my head hurt and terrible dialog and acting. Sure his movies do well at the box office but they get horrible reviews. While some love it, most wish he would go back to making movies with substance.

My opinion though, flame away.

it's insulting that george hopkins has said, and i'm paraphrasing here, that he not only doesn't care what the audience thinks, he's going to continue specifically because the audience rejects it. it's insulting that the cadets feel the need to give us life lessons about appreciating drum corps, or finding happiness, or singing to us when we want to hear horns and drums. it's insulting that they feel the need to do those things while being apparently incapable of doing them well, but at the same time, dead seat on doing them, no matter what.

we don't hate the cadets. we don't even necessarily hate narration. we absolutely hate what the cadets are doing, and we wish they would stop, becase we love what they used to do.

Hmmm. It would be interesting to know Hopkins' exact thoughts on pleasing the audience. I'm guessing he does care. One can look or listen to Cadets and tell that he is a great corps director. He may need to stop trying to fill double duty and director AND program coordinator.

Have fun with your "I hate the Cadets"

Oh, NUTS. I was agreeing with you earlier today, now you roll out the trite Borg "you hate Cadets" screed.

It's the NARRATION people aren't liking. THE NARRATION. NOT THE CADETS.

If the Michigan Marching Band started playing the Ohio State fight song in Michigan Stadium, I'm guessing the home crowd would not be liking it. Not liking the Band? NO. Not liking what they're doing? Yes. ###### at the band director? YES.

Sorry - 92 percent (of a poll that means nothing, right) don't like narration crammed down their throats. Ignore it.

BTW, it seems to me that DCP is overly represented by Cadets homers. Therefore I would think that polls about narration and electronics Underrepresent the percentage of fans who don't care for them.

Oh, NUTS. I was agreeing with you earlier today, now you roll out the trite Borg "you hate Cadets" screed.

It's the NARRATION people aren't liking. THE NARRATION. NOT THE CADETS.

If the Michigan Marching Band started playing the Ohio State fight song in Michigan Stadium, I'm guessing the home crowd would not be liking it. Not liking the Band? NO. Not liking what they're doing? Yes. ###### at the band director? YES.

Sorry - 92 percent (of a poll that means nothing, right) don't like narration crammed down their throats. Ignore it.

BTW, it seems to me that DCP is overly represented by Cadets homers. Therefore I would think that polls about narration and electronics Underrepresent the percentage of fans who don't care for them.

Agreed.

Given to the proposition that there are probably more than 12 Cadets fans on this forum and a few cross fans who like this show, it says a great deal about Cadets' fans view of the programming/narration.

At this point I am voting no on the script. I don't mind the concept, but have a problem with how it is being carried out. I hope they make some changes.

At this point I am voting no on the script. I don't mind the concept, but have a problem with how it is being carried out. I hope they make some changes.

Tex for someone like you, a staunch supporter of Cadets and narration in former years, to say this tells me a great deal. Thank you for being so honest.

Edited by kusankusho

I could not help watching this show on the fan network and think what would be next year's theme...the Veh-jay-jay Monologues?