2008: Worst Drum Corps Year Ever?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why do you think everyone liked the Crown's show about horses? If I remember correctly, the high point of their show was when they played the William Tell Overture (audience accessible music). So thanks for further proving my point. And yes, I know there were also props in that show...they didn't need them. Just like you thought I was too extreme by saying 2008 is "the worst year ever", I think you went to another extreme to suggest that I think all corps should play Sousa marches. There is so much great music out there that has never been used by DCI. In fact, I think it is MORE innovative to turn songs that we all recognize (and that we would never think to do on the field) into drum corps shows. As far as the rules go...we definately need them or else we are going to wake up one day and see saxophones in DCI which will be the end of the activity as we know it. The problem is that people have forgotten how much outrage there was going into the 2004 season when they allowed amps. People have gotten so used to it that they just sort of shrug it off now. Well, I and a few others on here still haven't forgotten. Frankly, I am insulted when ego maniacs like George Hopkins continue to shove this narration crap down our throats year after year when he KNOWS 90 percent of the fans want the old Cadets back. I think he's just doing it for attention to be honest.

It's funny that you agree that...and I quote you "EVERYONE liked Crowns show about horses" especially considering the fact that it contained....medleys, props, amps, and narration....4 of the 5 things your orignal rant was against. If...and like you said..."EVERYONE" liked this show and it contained these 4 concepts then you stand no ground in saying these concepts should be taken off the field. Especially if certain groups like Carolina Crown can use Amps, Narration, Props, and Medleys in a amazing way to create a PERFECT show for the audience. Like I said earlier...don't lock drum corps into a box of rules...that won't help anything...and thanks for proving MY point.

Edited by Baumer

We were out East and heard a lot about our show...as well as the libretto we passed out. Cavies and Scouts in the midwest bore the brunt out there. They probably had it worse than us since at least our show was patriotic in nature.

In 1970 Tony Schlechta wanted to throw us out of VFW's in Miami, as that was our first Peace Sign drill, set to White Rabbit. At least in 71 it was set to Battle Hymn. :smile:

I do remember the Stardusters getting a penalty when the corps all held up a hand, spread two fingers and gave the peace sigh. I could agree if they had flipped the bird but heck, even drum majors had created a style of salute that was borderline "shove it", and received no points off.

Ahhhh, the good old days.

Remember the 1st time I saw Boys of 76 and was amazed at the ...uhhhhh manner of taking the field in which they could dispose of the bottles of JD when called to attention so that they cleared the field far enough to not get points off and yet have the tempo set strong enough so that when the DM's flipped cigarette hit the ground the show started.

Thats the sorta practice I could have endured..............

todays drum corps shows are sit on your hands afairs, like going to the opera...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

God, People on this board are so blue.

First of all, go to any performance at The Met (or Broadway) or most other decent/good opera and musical houses in this country and around the world you'll see plenty packed houses and audiences paying their respects (ie: THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE) to the companies in those particular shows. Christ, just watch any video of Pavarotti singing a tenor aria in his opera days on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2R_KS9J9mU, this one). In that particular video, applause goes on for a good 2-3+ minutes, and that's for a 5 minute aria in a 140 minute opera. So please, can you keep your unprofessional demeanor and bad spelling to bashing some substandard drum corps shows please and leave opera and whatnot alone.

God, People on this board are so blue.

First of all, go to any performance at The Met (or Broadway) or most other decent/good opera and musical houses in this country and around the world you'll see plenty packed houses and audiences paying their respects

Not to mention paying the ticket prices! :thumbup::smile:

So your saying that every Month DCP gets alot more threads slamming todays shows compared to the number of threads slamming the shows of the past? Why do you think that is? Why do you think the number of drum corps, participants, & attendees has decreased dramatically in the last 15 years? It is what it is...and a lot of people don't like what it is...and DCI better change what it is or it wont be.

As for cool moments in todays shows, the number of thunderous standing ovations in an entire evening of drum corp today doesn't equal the number of standing 0's in a single drum corp show from the '70's...todays drum corps shows are sit on your hands afairs, like going to the opera...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

All true, but I want to remark on your first sentence, which reinforces the unshakeable fact that this is the only activity that dishonors its past. It's fashionable for people on these forums to daily mock the achievements of corps in decades long gone. In no other group activity or sport is this even thought of. For members of an activity which likes to think of itself as an enlightened aspect of show business to continually ridicule the corps styles of decades past and to level unflattering names on those who participated then is unique to those who participate here now. The movie industry, for example, honors with reverence the pioneers of film, regardless if the early actors and scripts seem stilted to today's audiences. It's unheard of in any historic activity -- except here -- to speak openly in unflattering tones of those who contributed to its past. The current so-called 'Hall of Fame' ignores nearly all the greats of the Golden Age and instead is a self-congratulatory celebration of contemporary backslapping. On the occasion an alumni corps might deign to appear in exhibition, they're disrespected by hundreds of modern-day "fans" who rise and walk out of the stadium rather than spend eleven minutes looking through a window to their past. Most of the greats who could have shared and contributed today have long since abandoned the activity, and that's why you don't see a lot of anger here when the current participants slam their own history. Georges Santayana was right, and this activity has long since lost its soul. Few will mourn as it continues to diminish a little more each year -- even, it would seem, those who are in it now.

All true, but I want to remark on your first sentence, which reinforces the unshakeable fact that this is the only activity that dishonors its past. It's fashionable for people on these forums to daily mock the achievements of corps in decades long gone.

Maybe it's because so many of those from the past who post here seem to have NO problem trashing today's DCI corps...respect is earned...it's not a right.

Maybe it's because so many of those from the past who post here seem to have NO problem trashing today's DCI corps...respect is earned...it's not a right.

Indeed it is, sir. Thank you for making my point.

Mike,

Just so I understand - are you saying that today's DCI corps are NOT earning respect? I know you and I don't always see eye to eye - but we're not even in the same stadium on this one, if that's indeed what you're opining.

Enlighten me please sir...

Blah Blah Blah

I am 41 years old

I started going to shows in the 70's

I never marched but that shouldn't matter

Here it goes...

I love the new stuff and the continuous innovation. For the most part each year is better for me than the last although I am happiest when my two corps give me great shows that finish high. :-) As long as they (DCI) don't add woodwinds I am not going to waste my energy complaining.

Change happens... get over it.