Write Your Own Ending

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My ending:

Radio Host: The pursuit of happiness led Sarah Jones to a simple conclusion

Sara Jones: For many years I've lived thinking happiness is something to be found, something you....uuhh....who the #### are you? Why are you crawling out of my fireplace.....and WHY the #### are you dressed up like a school girl? GET AWAY FROM ME! LEAVE ME ALONE!! STOP BEATING ME WITH YOUR UMBRELLA! HELP HELP! GIVE ME BACK MY MICROPHONE! <CLICK>

The end!

Yes, that's just my opinion, but all of the pro narration folks out there need to realize that those of us who hate it will never stop complaining about it, will never stop railing corps for using it, and will hijack every thread related to narration possible to continue making our opinions heard.

Thank you.

I'm so glad you've found something meaningful to devote your time to. I wish everyone had that attitude - then dcp would be a really exciting place. You sound like the terminator or something - "we do not feel pain, fear, or remorse, and we absolutely will not stop - ever" You act like you have a noble (or for that matter interesting) goal, when in reality, i cant think of anything more boring. Are you really proud of yourself??...I mean, does it take a lot of skill to hijack threads? Does it change anyone's mind, or create interesting discussion for that matter? You are of course, under no obligation to act like an respectable human being, but a lot of us would appreciate it if you would. :thumbup:

Edited by salad315

Didnt they do that last year? Hard work? Commitment? Working as a team?

Never said they didn't. This is a thread about this year's show and I am offering a critique of this year's show on a stand alone basis. This year's show has a theme/meesage/whatever independant of last year's show or next year's show. Please don't try to read some kind of agenda into my comments -- they are what they are. This thread is about the script in this years show and if I just dropped in from Mars and knew nothing about the Cadets or their history or anything, I would have the same suggestions. Namely, that the definition and subsequent attainment offered of Happiness, does not do it for me, seems a too easy and unrealistic approach and ironically seems in contrast to the long hours and effort put into the show around it. This has nothing to do with the Cadets or anyone personally connected with them. It's simply a critique of the presentation as offered, much like if I saw a play that I felt didn't bring across its message properly.

I dont mind the 'daughter' idea - in fact I'm sure it could work. I just think there is some merit to the way they have chosen, and that it's possible that they could make it work within the framework provided.

Yes it's possible and I have said so. But I believe that it would be MORE easily conveyed within the framework already designed and MORE effective the other way, that's all ....

to add a word on to granny's point - yes, there are a lot of ways they could go with this happiness theme. You are also right in suggesting that the 'snap' method is somewhat narrow in scope, and that there is a lot more to it then that. However, I'm not really sure if it's feasible to put any more broad 'philosophy' into the show. I'll estimate that by finals, there will be between 2 and 2:30 of narration in the show. To explore a whole new avenue of happiness, or even to add an adendum on would vastly increase that number. Not only would that upset many, but as a few have pointed out, there still needs to be some 'drum corps' in this show. Last year, the corps did a fine job with this balance, putting out what was arguable the most in your face and difficult visual and music package around. This year seems to more of the same (as well as we can tell on july 2nd) Im not saying the show couldnt be vastly changed, but one would have to be very careful about upsetting that delicate balance...

I agree that this would be difficult. But honestly, one of the main mistakes productions make is thinking that more dialog necessarily makes things clearer. With a clever re-write, I believe that the definition of Happiness and the approach to its attainment could be presented in a way with FEWER words and in the process provoke a much more thought-provoking show for the audience. There is no one answer to Happiness, so instead of trying to present the answer verbatum, to which most audience members may disagree with, a much more effective script would present the Pursuit of Happiness in a much more subtle fashion -- let a few snippets of insight into the characters' lives and choices and realizations resonate with the viewer, leaving each audience member to reflect upon and comtemplate their own Pursuit in their own way.

This is a good discussion -- clearly I love it when I get a chance to spread my love of Aristotle!! For those of you who can't bring yourself to even discuss narration on an intellectual level irrespective of your opinion of same ... might I suggest taking the time that you would otherwise spend firing off a snarky and ineffective post in this thread and instead pick up a copy of the Ethics -- might help you find the balance (and Aristotelian Happiness) that allows you to seperate the two :thumbup:

Why not turn a celebration of the activity into a celebration of the activity?

Radio Host: The pursuit of happiness led Sarah Jones to a simple conclusion

Sara Jones: In the summer, at least, happiness is... drum corps!

(cue 1979 Spirit of Atlanta-level, sandblast the pressbox-style power chord, then proceed into a signature, 200+bpm hyperspeed Cadets' ending)

Would that be so wrong? :thumbup:

That fact is, happiness has never been defined, medical science has worked on that but without conclusive success (they also are working on the what, why and how of pain). Point here, some people can’t find happiness no matter how much they try or how many pills they take, shrinks they see

are you happy after a death of a loved one?

but for some people, happiness does seem like a disposition that can be temporality affected by circumstances

Snipped a bunch of your quote, but these are the parts I wanted to respond to.

So I am taking an Aristotelian view of Happiness, which is an intellectual state of soulful contentment. The kind of things you're talking about here (and admittedly what most people think of as Happy) is a transient emotional state. Yesterday was a good day, so I'm happy. Today, I lost a loved one, so I'm not happy. What I'm talking about is a state of attainment on a level above that emotional level. Your emotions will still follow the course of the days, but a true state of Happiness means that you are not ruled by those emotions. You still experience them, don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about turning into a drone or anything. Just that the Pursuit of Happiness to me, is a pursuit towards attaining a balance in life, so that you are not overcome by your emotional or appetite levels, either in a good way or a bad way. That the choices you make and the actions you take are independant of your emotional state at the time. What is the right thing to do in a certain situation -- let's say helping someone in distress? Is it the right thing to do independant of your emotional state that day? Will you be able to act the same way whether you are sad that day or giddy, whether you are feeling scared or brave, whether you are tired or hungry or down? That, to me, is the ultimate goal of the Pursuit of Happiness -- the ability to lead a righteous and satisfying life that experiences all the emotions and appetites of the day, but can rise above above them and not be ruled by them.

These are things that are very personal in nature and while not possible to present on the field in the clunky and wordy way I have done above, could be planted as questions in the audiences mind through the same kind of storytelling that the show's current framework allows. I think a show like this would be much more effective if it left the audience with questions to ponder rather than to attempt easy answers that likely won't be accepted.

Deep, huh .... :thumbup:

Well, I can’t really offer one and keep in line with the pursuit of happiness because after the set up….I need to see Sara struggle and change her ways and then find redemptions before she can achieve happiness. Redemption is the main literary device used to connect the audience with unpleasant character and there is no sense of redemption or even working on or earning happiness

On the other hand, irony is also a time-tested literary device and there's a certain amount of it in the present script. You're obviously not convinced that Sarah has found happiness. I'm not either, and it seems like neither are many of those on this thread who've considered the script. So if the character of Sarah is self-absorbed and shallow, and hasn't realized happiness despite finding a "perfect man", having talented daughters, enjoying great professional success and surviving an often-fatal disease, maybe that tells you something about how NOT to be happy!

I don't really think that was the intention behind the Cadets' script. But if a decent author were to write a one-act play about Sarah and her story, I could see them taking an approach like that.

Are you really proud of yourself??...I mean, does it take a lot of skill to hijack threads? Does it change anyone's mind, or create interesting discussion for that matter? :thumbup:

yes

Are you really proud of yourself??...I mean, does it take a lot of skill to hijack threads? Does it change anyone's mind, or create interesting discussion for that matter? :thumbup:

yes

The last minute of the show......

Everyone picks up all the amps, microphones, and props. They carry them to center field. The pour gasoline on everything and then light a match.

KABOOM!

Massive explosion to which the audience stands in a roaring cheer that rivals '95 Madison!

Unfortunately, the corps takes a 99 point penalty for endangering the lives of the judges.

Edited by dciguy01