All Girl corps

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about my local favorite, the Audobon Bon-Bons!

Loved the cowgirl outfits!

I always got the feeling it was become they couldn't be competitive enough as an all girl unit.

I remember when Les Chatelaines decided to accept males and eventually became Connexion Quebec ( I even marched with them in '87) - but it wasn't the same.

I miss Les Chatelaines - they were something else!

Later,

Mike

I mis Les Chatelaines also, remember the progressive uniforms and "hats" and who can forget the "chair" show with the white folding chairs, I wish there was a video vault thru the fan network to let us watch the long lost girl corps, as well as some of the corps of seasons past that didn't make the top 25....lots of great shows no one will ever see again

I mis Les Chatelaines also, remember the progressive uniforms and "hats" and who can forget the "chair" show with the white folding chairs, I wish there was a video vault thru the fan network to let us watch the long lost girl corps, as well as some of the corps of seasons past that didn't make the top 25....lots of great shows no one will ever see again

Yes that would be wonderful.

I would love to see our shows again.

Back as late as the 60's, there were tons of all-girl corps and all-boy corps. Even corps like Cadets (Garfield) were all-boy at one time. The integration really started in earnest right around the time of DCI's birth.

True. More and more corps started going co-ed. If you look at it on the male side of things, only the Cavs and Scouts survived.

What about my local favorite, the Audobon Bon-Bons!

Loved the cowgirl outfits!

Bon Bons were the only all-girl unit to ever compete, and I mean really compete, at the highest levels of competition. The Ventures did the same thing, with not quite as much success, a little later in the game, and even became the first (and only) top 25 all-girl unit.

We had Arbella in EMass and they were very strong from about 77-80.

We also had the only All-girl merger.

Jeannettes and Socialites who were avowed enemies merged in '79 to form Charisma.

They put almost 125 on the field. It was pretty impressive to see but I don't think they even finished the season.

As a youngster from Garfield, NJ I had the pleasure of watching the Bon Bons perform. They took both High Drums and High GE in 1957 and came in second to Holy Name at the American Legion finals. Their bugle quartet won the national title in 1957. They were in existence from 1938-1976. In the Junior finals of the American Legion Championships in Atlantic City, NJ (1957) they scored 90.95 to Holy Name's 91.30. A talented and classy group of young ladies. :thumbup:

Why didn't they last? I am sure it is the same for any other corps; money..... and the numbers just weren't there in this, unfortunetley, male dominated activity. Maybe not so much now, but most certainly back then.

It's a different culture. I know in the philadelphia region, there used to be a number of single sex (mostly all-girl) colleges. I think most, if not all, have since gone co-ed. Nobody wants to be in a single sex institution anymore including, presumably, drum corps.