CLIFTON/PISCATAWAY LOUNGE

After a day watching the “Champions Tour” at our former home golf course, En Joie, in Endicott NY, we took a little detour heading home, (just 2 hours further South…hehe). We found Crown at their rehearsal site for the YEA “Narration in Motion” show, Pequannock Twp High School, in Pompton Plains NJ. We got there about 2:00, and found it very overcast, and a drizzle had been falling off and on all day.

The corps was in sectionals, with the battery and pit running chunks on the practice field, (a grassy area next to the main football field). The guard was using the main field, and the brass were in sections on a nearby baseball outfield. Must be the school banned the corps from using the stadium. Too bad, instead of some nice stands, it was a parking lot or front sideline view.

This battery of 9-5-5 was performing very well. They seemed pretty clean to this horn guy. They didn’t do anything crazy flashy, but seem very solid, and held tempos well for the sections that they worked.

They started ensemble at 3:00. First they ran end of the opener. When they ran from the beginning, with “everyone in the pool”, and got to the build and first sustained chord, I got my first goose bumps of the season. What a gorgeous horn sound, featuring a strong mello voice, and 16 contras. The whole horn book is very exposed, especially the upper brass. The line seemed to have some focus inconsistencies. I heard a lot of variations in articulation as well. The good news is that they have plenty of meat in the book, and a lot of time to clean. This show will be REALLY nice come August. After the brass guy on the scaffolding asked them to match the intensity of their Rockford rehearsal, they ran Barber of Seville with excellent clarity and style. The contra features during the drum break after Claire were MEATY, and they did them VERY well 3 of the 6 times they ran it. One time it was pointed out that their lack of intensity was similar to before the Madison show, apparently a big disappointment to the brass line’s expectations. They were warned that if they continued to practice like that, a repeat was possible.

The staff tried motivating the kids by mentioning that tonight would be the 25th anniversary celebration of the 83 Cadets: “We were taught by this legendary staff, and now we teach you, it’s called generations. What a great opportunity you have during Candide to pay homage to a legendary drum corps show”. Also mentioned was that the sops do a Z pull tribute at some point, which I had not noticed. Before they did their run through, the brass tech on the scaffold also pointed out to them that legendary brass arranger Jim Prime, who wrote the horn book for 83 Cadets, was standing nearby to see them. He invited the members to “perform” for him, as well as all the appreciative former Cadets who would be at the night show. Nice touch!

The run through was pretty solid, hard to see the visual, even from the roof of the van. The brass did not play ANY of the impact points during the run through, however, which was a little disappointment to us all. We met up with some friends, who were going to the show, to get some dinner.

I was a little bummed that I had decided to “boycott” YEA by not buying tix. The 2-hour drive home was made better by the thought of the Stanford web cast waiting for us when we got there.

Truman; explain why you drive 2 hours out of your way to watch a rehersal and you don't buy tix to the show??? Am I missing something?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How was the turnout? I wanted to go but it's a relatively big trip considering gas prices and there were only 4 Division I corps there. I'm disappointed the show was not held at Giants Stadium as it was in the past...what happened?

Truman; explain why you drive 2 hours out of your way to watch a rehersal and you don't buy tix to the show??? Am I missing something?

I really like drum corps.

I haven't been to a band competition in several years, and while it was OK, I choose to only support keeping the 2 activities different.

We found Crown at their rehearsal site for the YEA “Narration in Motion” show...

You sir just demonstrated the definition of tacky! If you want to start a thread about Crown's rehearsal, you are welcome to add your spiteful comments about The Cadet's home show there; but when the discussion is clearly intendedto be about tonight's show itself, there is no need to act childish and hijack the thread. Grow up.

I really like drum corps.

I haven't been to a band competition in several years, and while it was OK, I choose to only support keeping the 2 activities different.

Oh man, you're really making a statement. DCI doesn't care, nor should they for attitudes like this. It's about the KIDS, not your opinions about an effing microphone.

Oh man, you're really making a statement. DCI doesn't care, nor should they for attitudes like this. It's about the KIDS, not your opinions about an effing microphone.

I will support ALOT of DCI corps this summer.

YEA is not DCI....yet

If he wants to do this, let him do it. Sheesh, its about the only thing left for someone like him to do...or would you rather have him in the stands booing at a show he didnt want to go to. Yeah, its about the kids - Its also about some other 'minor' stuff too.

I haven't seen any attempt a review, unless it is somewhere I can't find.

I'll attempt one.

This was an interesting show to attend. I had some newbies with me and some people who hadn't been to a corps show in years. Two of us were corps vets and have followed the activity in recent years. This was my 2nd live corps show this year. The other vet was at his first.

There was a feel to going back to the past by having this show in Clifton instead of the Meadowlands. I'm pretty sure I've been on this field in competition. The crowd was as diverse as you could get. All age groups were represented. As I saw the locals walk to the show with their stadium seats in hand took me back. By comparison, going to Meadowlands shows had a cold, less intimate feel. There were often spaces in the stands. Here, everyone was closely packed and talked freely with one another.

OPEN CLASS

The corps here were the Raiders, Spartans, and Jersey Surf. The Spartans came out first. Compared to World Class, the numbers were small, but they were game. My newbie friends, who had never seen ANY corps, were already impressed.

The Jersey Surf are huge in comparison to both the Spartans and the Raiders. They have a nice and entertaining show. We all enjoyed it.

I'm glad there's a local corps in Wayne, NJ again. (remember the Saints?) The staff is giving them a challenging show and they are working hard.

CROSSMEN

After an intermission, the Crossmen came out. Because they had a lot of time to set up, their front ensemble played "Across the Universe". Unfortunately, the announcer was talking loudly over most of their playing. This was the 2nd time I had seen the corps live and I visited them during camp. I really like the program this year and they keep adding to it. The color guard is really developing. I wish DCI would put up the recap scores because I think the Crossmen Guard may have been better than the Crusaders. The Crossmen have a smaller hornline than the other competitors who came on after them, but they are putting out a nice sound this year. The drill design is crisp. I may be biased as an alumnus, but this corps is doing really well this year.

My newbie friends loved it.

CRUSADERS

My 2nd time with the Crusaders. They have a loud, booming hornline playing a nice "seat vibrating" show. I like their show a lot, though it doesn't appear their guard does as much as the Crossmen did. The ending got a lot of response from the crowd.

CROWN

First time seeing the Crown. Wow. I love the musical theme. They always play a challenging book and they are extremely entertaining. Newbies amazed. I want to see this corps again. And again.

CADETS

I said nothing to my newbies about my opinion of the Cadets show. I didn't want to influence them in any way. They had enjoyed everything so far. What can I say? My friend said, "I don't get it. It didn't make any sense. It was distracting. It was stupid". The crowd applauded, but not as much as one would expect at a "Home" show with many alumni there. The show just doesn't do the talent of the corps justice. Yes, the storyline and narration is "stupid", but it also destroys any flow the show might have. Talk, play, talk, play, talk, play. Choppy and jerkey. The quality of the writing and performing of the script just doesn't match the rest of the corps. It doesn't work. I know the pro-Cadet show will say something like "Can't you notice that the kids are playing their hearts out?". No, it's hard because the show doesn't let you. Besides, with the exception of a drum feature, I don't think they are playing anything as cool or engaging as the Crown's show.

The Bridgemen gave a fun exhibition and my newbie friends got an image of 70's drum corps.

Then the scores. During the retreat and they reintroduced the drum majors, something was strange when the Crown got more applause than the Cadets.

The strangest thing that happened was when it was announced that the Crown was in 2nd. Boos were heard. The man behind me said, "It's pretty bad when you get booed at your home show." The crowd was booing that the Cadets beat the Crown. I know I felt that way, but I was amazed to hear it in Clifton, NJ where the vast majority of people in the stands were Cadet alumni and North Jersey fans.