Santa Clara's Show

It doesn't have a "Vanguard"....but that is seriously my only complaint at all.

The Stanford show was amazing as far as camera angles, and I finally got to see the closer! Pete Webber outdid himself with this show, and the entire Santa Clara Vanguard has my absolute favorite program this year! Very very awesome!

This may get closed...don't really care. I'm having a great time on vacation and wanted to let everyone know how I feel about the coolest show this season!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now the closer is BY FAR the weak link to the show..I would say 3/4 of the show has championship caliber design, but they need to fix the closer in my opinion..It just doesn't equal the rest of the show when in fact it should display even more intensity. Great to see the percussion strong again..Thought they were great. The hornline is better than last year, but not a top 3-4 line yet. And the guard just keeps getting better. Also, Sly will be earning his pay-check trying to clean that drill..Wow.

Edited by Feathers Up

Just saw the high end camera angle from Stanford. The beginning of the closer is designed well I think. It goes down hill during what I call the "storm" part of Cloudburst all the way to the very last drill move-- with the rotating stars cascading down into a mountain form. It lacks any velocity. Plus, the music doesn't command attention either. I don't know what SCV can do... scrap the whole thing? Add another song? THEY NEED TO ADDRESS THIS.

update:

I agree with everyone who says 2two out of 3three (see what I did there??) sections of the show is quality stuff. Needs to get cleaned though, and SCV has to start selling their show.

Edited by just_another_fanatic

SCV was ok...but PR pimpslapped them pretty hard. It was nice to see the clarity of PR's program right after SCV. They definitely deserve to be scoring just a tad higher at this juncture.

SCV will clean and make some noise, but right now, they just need to clean. (and the end is not doing it yet)

SCV was ok...but PR pimpslapped them pretty hard. It was nice to see the clarity of PR's program right after SCV. They definitely deserve to be scoring just a tad higher at this juncture.

SCV will clean and make some noise, but right now, they just need to clean. (and the end is not doing it yet)

I don't think they've really had any breaks since they've learned the closer. So now that DCI West has gone past, now they have a chance to really spruce it up. I would HIGHLY suggest that they increase the drill speed in the closer. The music is fine but not great (Cluodburst). Maybe they can just move this movement to the beginning? :)

Also, I DEFINITELY felt a Vanguard Yell! moment in the closer. I just have to look for it now in the videos i took. I mean the FNet videos.

At this point, with the closer, I just can't see them getting gold and I am hugely biased for SCV (look at the history of my posts!). Read the rest of my opinion in my review, which is coming later tonight.

Yea I'm really hoping they both change their endings actually. Pretty sure both will with time. :tongue:

I'm thinking that last major statement (10:39 Stanford) needs to go into double time. That's a simple fix, hopefully they will do more, but at 2 AM after the show, that all I got. :tongue:

Yeah... I'm not impressed with the closer at all right now, but I know that SCV will do SOMETHING to it to make it one of the best closers in drum corps this year.

EDIT: Actually, with the high-camera-only angle in the On Demand video, I like SCV's closer more. Maybe the CRAZY camera angles last night had something to do with the majority of people not liking the closer.

Edited by cmathis

I loved many parts of this show and agree with those who say the end needs more kick. But the thing that bugs me about this show is how the corps and guard march an entirely different drill for 99% of the show. With very few, momentary exceptions, the guard is wrapped around the corps, spread out evenly through the form the corps is making, or is used as frills added to the corners or ends of the form the corps is making. The guard placement just feels very old-fashioned. I absolutely love many of the shifting forms the corps is doing, I'd just like to see more variety in the way the guard is incorporated.

Just saw this show for the first time. The music is okay but I think it will grow on me. I think the best part of the program is the outstanding visual design. I didn't expect to see that kind of innovative and interesting stuff outside of the Cavaliers and Cadets. It's dirty in lots of places but I think they will catch BD, at least visually, by finals.

Edited by jetman1287