Fish may remember this.. When Hurcs would perform at a show at Giants Stadium, there was a soccer field we used to practice on somewhere near the stadium. There was a building with showers. They were actually pretty good showers. HOWEVER.. the drainage for the showers was NOT good. If you were not one of the first few in there, like those that had to load the truck first...you needed to bring a life guard with you. One year, Pepe decided to venture into the shower . Normally he and a few others would do the hose down outside the building . Quick, easy, get them to the stadium for the meet and greet on time...But not this time. Pepe, always had is entourage with him. We could hear him coming into the building... that booming voice saying.. "keep me above the water line".....He walked into the mens shower area where the water was now at calf high, and clapped his hands... in walked 3 rookies carrying a step ladder.. where he found that ladder is still a mystery today .. they proceeded to place it under a shower head, then "wheeled" him to the ladder .. where he climbed up to shower. He then clapped his hands again, his little harem carried him out of the building. Never did he touch the murky waters that contiued to rise above the rest of us... I am , however, glad I was not a rookie that had to carry him around!!

Great stuff!!! Well...I guess that's what rookies are for!

Anyway... That voice is one I'll never forget! I remember being at one of the Giant's stadium shows and was waiting (by myself) to get on the freight elevator and he and a few people walked up and he said "Hey Westshore, nice show tonight!" in that voice...then on the elevator we BS'd a bit and then when we got off he said "good luck tonight, you're gonna need it"

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cooler showers are a drum corps ritual that everyone should experience!

Edited by Gary W

Great topic.

Personally, I don't remember taking a single warm shower on tour.

If they remembered to turn on the water heaters at all, the hot water would run out within 10 minutes tops.

You'd have to get up pretty #### early to get one of the warm showers.

:thumbup::smile: Bridgeport, CT, women's showers were always freezing cold, and needle-like without shower heads. Don't stand face front to the water ladies!!!!

There's been a major improvement in the last 20 years. Still crowded and terribly humid but all have shower heads and the temperature is perfect. :smile:

I think cooler showers are a drum corps ritual that everyone should experience!

They were more cooler DIVES then showers when I marched! (I also remember that the ritual on the Buc's bus was rookies standing in the cooler if they couldn't entertain eeryone! Thankfully I had a song or two to teach! (and kept me out!)

I do recall taking a "whore's bath" with cooler water in a pinch!