Funniest moments / bad ideas in a show

You just had to go there. :tongue:

Between the velcro and hornhooks it was an adventure just getting off the bus.

Well. Someone had to! The Freelancer cadet uni is a classic. You don't mess with it!

It was so much fun watching you guys for the first few shows. You never knew how many members would or wouldn't make the uni change in time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In contention for the worst idea, ever . . . The Sundial.

I know it's a different bird...but this made me think of WKRP and Les Nessman reporting about the turkeys being dropped out of the plane as a publicity stunt.

Oh, man! Both of those were classics!!! Who will ever forget Walter Kelly shooting at the pigeons with the starter gun?

Absolute timeless classic - someone could make a Mastercard commercial out of that!

There's a classic moment from the original Banana year of 1976 where Bayonne set the world on its ear in Philadelphia with the falling down at the end of the show, but that's not the gaffe of which I speak - there's a "Chorus Line" photo of the guard that will live forever in which one of the young ladies has the wrong leg kicking - it so sums up the energy and excitement that that corps exuded from every pore - long before they refined the product artistically and musically.

What a hoot those originals were!

Many corps have come and gone since, and many have been incredibly entertaining, but for me - the Bridgemen from '76 through the mid- 80s will always own my heart for pure joy, which I always thought was a good thing for a youth activity to be about. Silly me.

Edited by rayfallon

I know it's a different bird...but this made me think of WKRP and Les Nessman reporting about the turkeys being dropped out of the plane as a publicity stunt.

It was a helicopter, not a plane.

Funniest moment in television history ... "As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly!"

Oh, man! Both of those were classics!!! Who will ever forget Walter Kelly shooting at the pigeons with the starter gun?

Absolute timeless classic - someone could make a Mastercard commercial out of that!

You mean, like this:

A ticket to DCA Championships: $10. (Well, it WAS 1980.)

A flock of pigeons: $100.

Watching the fickle, flightless fowl turn DCA Finals into the ending of "Blazing Saddles": Priceless.

(or, substitute "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", if you prefer.)

Edited by Dale Bari

When this topic comes up, I can only think of one thing, and it's not DCI: 1980 DCA Finals, when the Westshoremen decided to copy the Sky Ryders' homing pigeon release at DCI Prelims earlier that year. They made one mistake: homing pigeons don't fly at night! Show was delayed trying to round up the birds and shoo them off the field. [The other moments like that are non-drum corps (ie bands)]

I can even top that bird-brained idea...

There was a band in the mid-80's that tried the same thing (they wrapped the pigeons in finale flags to release at the big hit)...however, a parent got this idea to paint the cage the birds were stored in...in oil-based paint.

When the birds were released, they were so stoned that they could not even fly...or hardly walk. Most of the birds just wallowed on the field as the band completed its closer.

That is not the end of THIS story...

It gets worse...the band/contest organizers not clear all the birds off the field before the next band took the field; and the next 5 minutes were ASPCA's worst nightmare. The audience gasped many times when birds came within inches of getting stomped; only to avoid the drill or the drill would stop just short of animal cruelty...until a large tuba player parked over the unlucky one bird and proceeded to mark-time the living life out of the bird.

The contest director immediately banned all live animals from shows at that point on. :tongue:

This is, sadly, a true story. I was there. And scarred for life!

(Just imagine if Star used a live tiger in their late-80's circus show... :tongue:)

Edited by prodigal bari

There's a classic moment from the original Banana year of 1976 where Bayonne set the world on its ear in Philadelphia with the falling down at the end of the show, but that's not the gaffe of which I speak - there's a "Chorus Line" photo of the guard that will live forever in which one of the young ladies has the wrong leg kicking - it so sums up the energy and excitement that that corps exuded from every pore - long before they refined the product artistically and musically.

What a hoot those originals were!

Many corps have come and gone since, and many have been incredibly entertaining, but for me - the Bridgemen from '76 through the mid- 80s will always own my heart for pure joy, which I always thought was a good thing for a youth activity to be about. Silly me.

I loved Bayonne in 76 when they came out for the first time. Imagine if there had been a DCP back then...the threads would rival the complaints about the Cadets of today. :tongue:

It was a helicopter, not a plane.

Funniest moment in television history ... "As God is my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly!"

I forgot the mode of flying..just knew it wasn't the turkeys...yes...that might be the single funniest line ever uttered.

"Gee, I have this great idea to open our show...little Eddie's dad is a bow hunter, and we're playing Robin Hood. Let's have him shoot a live arrow over the top of the band."

They should've played William Tell.

Seconding the Sundial!