What Happens if the Cadets win?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no – depends on what is printed on that ticket and the 3 shows I went to this year, they all printed their own tickets with a rather lacking clause, nothing like the ticketmaster fine print

And I did hear an usher scold/warn) a fan at the sox games last week for swearing so I do understand that but I’d go for a 1st amendment thing where they can’t comment on the content of my booing if they fail to act on others' yelling – as evidence I’d introduce past videos and the program from last weeks show where they have a written statement about shouting and cheering for the corps

so I'm guessing as long as its clean and not durring the show, I'll be fine - but I'll check w/ my lawyer friends too and see what they say, after they stop laughing at me of course

Well, you'll have a tough time prevailing. First of all, 1st Amendment has nothing to do with it. 1st Amendment applies to the GOVERNMENT'S restricting of your free speech (specifically, Congress). It does not apply to a private organization holding a private event (private meaning not run or sponsored by the gov't). You might have a case based on consistency as you mention, but even then it would be tough because as a private org, DCI basically has the right to "refuse service" for any reason. Well, not quite any reason. They would be bound by federal and state anti-discrimination laws, so that is where you're best bet would lie -- something along the lines of "they let that white guy boo and did nothing, but they threw me out for doing the same thing." Problem is, if you don't fall under any of the "protected classes" then your complaint gets that much more far-fetched.

Anyway, this is all just theoretical -- I've never seen anyone be removed for booing or (worse, imo) not shutting up during shows!!!

Edited by Liam

People sure seem to think they're destined to change things ever since 2005, though. . . and that's the point. Everyone anoints these shows as "cerebral", "head scratching" and so on.

There's no "experimentation" as you call it, per se by anyone these days; yet the rules changes were voted in precisely for those reasons by the powers that be at DCI.

Might as well start using 'em.

. . .whether you think I'm debating "artistic integrity" or not. :ph34r:

You've really been hitting the nail on the head in this thread, Bawker. Probably the most disappointing thing about all the rule changes, at least to me, is how little creative change they've provoked. The Cadets have plainly not been exploring wildly experimental uses of amps and voice; they've been importing common marching band show design ideas and tweaking them to work competitively in DCI.

If Cadets win, then we all will have enjoyed their dramatic mid-season re-writes.

This is drum corp has been for the past 20 years

QUOTE (cowtown @ Jul 9 2008, 12:59 PM)

yeah, I don't think it's fair that some of us have to leave D/C because a few corps will use electronics the first year – after a while, the judges will impose their wrath of those that have the political power within DCI and force all corps to use them, kind of like amps and any key but that will take a year or two

ANd the quote by you:

Who said you have to leave? Stay and enjoy the shows. It's perfectly fair that if you can't...you stay away. It's not their fault YOU don't like them. It's up to you to decide who and what you like.

So Mike Davis, if the SOPRANOS had changed their ways in say the 4th season and stopped their traditional ways and instead of rubbing people out, they started sending people to see Dr, MILFe for threapy, and instead of the meat business, strip clubs and prostitution, they all started working full time for UNICEF, it would be the fans fault for changing the channel ?

Interesting !

:ph34r:

So Mike Davis, if the SOPRANOS had changed their ways in say the 4th season and stopped their traditional ways and instead of rubbing people out, they started sending people to see Dr, MILFe for threapy, and instead of the meat business, strip clubs and prostitution, they all started working full time for UNICEF, it would be the fans fault for changing the channel ?

Interesting !

I think what Mike was getting at, I could be wrong, is that liking something is one thing, but how we react to that is another. There are plenty of ways to respond to a show you don't like that won't inhibit the performers. The booing issue bugs me so much because most of the people here on DCP who advocate it act like The Cadets are forcing them to boo. That's bs.

Based on all the energy put into bashing them, Here's what will happen in order:

Dogs and Cats will sleep together

Coke and Pepsi will taste the same

The Yin and Yang will merge

Pluto once again becomes a planet

Muslims and Jews will make love, not war

All Drum Corps Fans will forever hate the activity and will develop selective amnesia, wiping out their memory of any and all drum corps moments past, and DCI will be out of business

Electrical current will cease to flow

The entire space-time contiuum will collapse on itself and we will no longer exist

Geez, I hope they don't win.

Based on all the energy put into bashing them, Here's what will happen in order:

Dogs and Cats will sleep together

Coke and Pepsi will taste the same

The Yin and Yang will merge

Pluto once again becomes a planet

Muslims and Jews will make love, not war

All Drum Corps Fans will forever hate the activity and will develop selective amnesia, wiping out their memory of any and all drum corps moments past, and DCI will be out of business

Electrical current will cease to flow

The entire space-time contiuum will collapse on itself and we will no longer exist

Geez, I hope they don't win.

LOL...How about this, if the Cadets win every major player in DCI will feel obligated to have as much or MORE narration in their shows to have a shot an winning next year. You can see this is everything so far and it follows a logical pattern of what is percieved as "better" or moving the activity forward. Amps, Bb horns, narration...etc and so forth.

I think what Mike was getting at, I could be wrong, is that liking something is one thing, but how we react to that is another. There are plenty of ways to respond to a show you don't like that won't inhibit the performers. The booing issue bugs me so much because most of the people here on DCP who advocate it act like The Cadets are forcing them to boo. That's bs.

He was responding to someone saying they would stay away from shows. I could be wrong but booing was not on the table in that argument, or maybe at that time ?

He was pulling his normal liberal spin that if the guy decided to stay away from shows because it wasn't what he considered "drum corps", that it's HIS fault for not changing with the times.

OR, I could be completly wrong and just excited to possible find a dead parrot to return to Mike Davis, the owner of the pet shop in all Monty Python skits.

What happens if Cadets win? Then everyone starts doing silly shows. Mic's and electronics become commonplace. And real music doesn't win.

Just like after 2005 EVERYONE was doing shows on surrealism with drum speak...

Oh wait...

But Phantom has "never" won. Nothing new there.