Its coming down to BD vs. Cavies

narration is hardly a gimmick.

pretending to march and play at the same time...is

hrns down, face dot, run, also....is

I have no problem rooting for a team that has excellent execution as well as demand. You see those devils on the field? They're great! When the music starts, so do the feet! wow! :)

All things aside, samurai was rather flat to me. Its not just my dislike for sneaky drumcorps, I just don't like the show. (I have liked Cavies in the past)

glad see another engineer on the boards!

Narration IS a gimmick...and it detracts from the show...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i haven't been on this in a while but had to laugh when someone referred to as the Cavaliers as the new New York Yankees....i'm not sure if you know anything about sports or baseball (which i know is a sport) and all do respect to the Cavaliers but the Devs are in another league as far sustaining excellence...i'll give the Cavies this they are the Boston Red Sox if anything...but the legendary New York Yankees only one team holds at that's the Blue Devils...i am not getting off soap box and returning to my cave...i hope everyone is having a great day :)

Can you please decipher that for me???

/Agree. 2 horse race.

And I'm sorry, I'd like to be cheery and optimistic for the other guys too, but to think that Crown, Coats, or Phantom will pass the Cavs this year is foolish wishful thinking. While I would rather have a dental procedure than partake in the Cavaliers nap time, otherwise known as Samurai, there has to be something said for excellence, and the Cavs still have it in spades over PR, CC, and BC.

For the record, I think visually Samurai is great, but I agree with other people who are tired of the Cavaliers rolling around on the ground for the 2nd time in 4 years.

I think that Cavies might overtake BD for the top spot. It has happened quite a bit recently and as you can see on the recaps cavies are gaining more ground than BD. Yeah cavies show might not be as exciting or as hard as some of the other shows, but if its cleaner thats all that matters.

my prediction is Cavies and BD in the top 2

3&4 will be PR and SCV

The only reason i dont have PR moving up in the top 2 is because i dont think they have got it quite figured out. Yeah they are amazing, but its just not all there (music yes, visual not as much). I think SCV will pull it together for a solid finish. They have been moving back up over the last couple years

5&6 Crown and Cadets

Crowns show is really good i just think they might peak a little early. Cadets could move up with some alterations.

7-12 Boston, Bluecoats, Blue Knights, Glassmen, Colts, Blue Stars

Boston has a really strong show, and its probably the best corps i've seen Boston put on the field

I honestly dont know much of anything about the Bluecoats this year, but i thought they were over-hyped last year so we'll see

BK is always a solid finalist

The bottom 3 is a toss up for me

But there is still about a month left so anything can happen!!!!

Yeah...same stuff every year. I am sick of it! Innovative drill, cohesive visual package with a brass and percussion book that is written together. When will it stop!

Cavaliers have become the NY Yankees of DCI. People will find any reason to dislike them. Reminds me of BD in the late 90s.

I never said I didn't like Cavies. There's just not 1 drum corps out there that does EVERYTHING the way I would like to see it done. My apologies if you expected me to be a cheerleader and not a neutral observer.

edit: In fact, I was laughing at a joke at the expense of someone who was calling the Cavies gimmicky. I just don't see all good or all bad in any style a drum corps chooses to take.

Edited by Medeabrass

I haven't studied the recaps, but wow! did they really?? In either year?? I'm in the minority in that I think BD doesn't get the credit, from the fans, that they deserve for visual effects such as transitions, staging, etc. I think a lot of people get blown away by the single moment of an awesome move, and kind of miss out on the awesome cohesion being displayed throughout the program, which BD excels at. Still, the Cavaliers excels at those aspects of visual design to a far greater extent than the Blue Devils ever have, and there's no question that 2000 and 2006 are some of the Green Team's finest years.l

BD does such a good job of making something difficult look effortless that I think some of what they do is lost on people (especially person to person). Their upper body carriage is superior and their feet are right on the money. Unfortunately, its obvious to me that judges don't care about feet anymore because being out of step never seems to get penalized.

And for his cleverness he should be banned because images like that have no place on a discussion board like DCP. It does make you wonder what type of person keeps images like that around. Disgusting! If ever there was a time for the DCP mods to do their job it's today.

I wasn't around to see what happened, but what I assume is this:

1. The Line posted some pictures.

2. Nikk decided to either use other images from The Line's photobucket account without his permission, or he quoted the images in his post.

3. The Line replaced one of the images Nikk used in his post with hello.jpg from what was once known as goatse.cx

4. This is actually a relatively common practice meant as punishment for those who would leech images.

Is that what happened?

/Agree. 2 horse race.

And I'm sorry, I'd like to be cheery and optimistic for the other guys too, but to think that Crown, Coats, or Phantom will pass the Cavs this year is foolish wishful thinking. While I would rather have a dental procedure than partake in the Cavaliers nap time, otherwise known as Samurai, there has to be something said for excellence, and the Cavs still have it in spades over PR, CC, and BC.

For the record, I think visually Samurai is great, but I agree with other people who are tired of the Cavaliers rolling around on the ground for the 2nd time in 4 years.

I have to totally disagree. Last night, Phantom beat Devs in every music caption....the whole deal was marching. Devs are marching very clean right now, but I think Phantom's feet will get there....once they do, it's game, set, and match. And Cavs music book ISN'T EVEN CLOSE in terms of substance and demand, and that is also finally being noticed....they will squirm to hold onto 3rd by the end, and they may not. Crown also has a great package, and their musical book shatters anything Cavs are playing, and they are already starting to reach the execution level necessary (see Orlando)....the "iron clad big three.....Cavs, Devs, Cadets....." is going to be shattered......in a big way....this year.

Bluecoats do not have a contending level show this year...........

GB

And Cavs music book ISN'T EVEN CLOSE in terms of substance and demand, and that is also finally being noticed....

How do you figure? Crown - to use your example - last competed on 7/12. They posted a 25.48 in Music Perf, and a 17.1 in Music GE. That same night the Cavaliers posted a 25.68 in Music Perf, and a 17.1 in Music GE as well. Pretty dead even.

Last night in Albuquerque, the Cavaliers increased their Music Perf score to 25.95, and jumped to a 17.7 in Music GE. If Cavaliers' music book is being noticed, looks like that's for the best.

I have to totally disagree. Last night, Phantom beat Devs in every music caption....the whole deal was marching. Devs are marching very clean right now, but I think Phantom's feet will get there....once they do, it's game, set, and match. And Cavs music book ISN'T EVEN CLOSE in terms of substance and demand, and that is also finally being noticed....they will squirm to hold onto 3rd by the end, and they may not. Crown also has a great package, and their musical book shatters anything Cavs are playing, and they are already starting to reach the execution level necessary (see Orlando)....the "iron clad big three.....Cavs, Devs, Cadets....." is going to be shattered......in a big way....this year.

Bluecoats do not have a contending level show this year...........

GB

I have no clue how Phantom beat Blue Devils in brass last night. Phantom is NOWHERE near the level of BD in brass. I think the judges are just trying to make a game out of it now. But I don't see Phantom, Crown, or SCV coming anywhere near the level of Cavaliers and Blue Devils. I have finally now seen both live, and I would give a slight edge to Blue Devils. Although it has been 2 weeks since I have seen Cavies live.