Just thinking out loud...

I preface this by saying I am just thinking out loud.

I have been reading all of the forums since Carolina Crown's win last night over the Cadets and have found them to be very entertaining. Summarizing what I have read

1. Carolina Crown's win last night was a gimmee from the judges as a sorry we didn't score you so well last year - your show was awesome and you should have won!!!!

2. Carolina Crown's win last night was a pure fluke and has done nothing but making the Cadets even stronger.

3. Carolina Crown's victory last night all of the sudden makes them the "dream cream team"

Since I am still rather new to Drum Corps - it appears that some people "believe" that finals placements are already set in stone. Question - if I was an activity whose numbers were dwindling especially with gas price increases, etc - what better way to shake things up and get people EXCITED then to have a newcomer in the top 3? A lot of people seem to be down on the Cadets, bored with the same old shows from some of the old favorites and Carolina Crown is performing at the top of their game. If Crown keeps up their momentum - do you honestly think they can't make the top 3 this year? The Fans do love them and the most negative thing I have really heard is the music has been played before -

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see them in the top 3 this year (sorry) - the top few corps (BD, Cavaliers & Cadets) are in another league of their own // sometimes it doesn't become obvious until finals week when they pull away big time... Only in "off" years do they seem to fall below the top 3 spots

Cadets right now seem to be having an off year (not rare for them / last year at this point they were losing to Coats) - but if we say they finish out of top 3 then I have to give Regiment a better shot at sneaking in than Crown

Crown is good but Regiments drums and horns will probably be too much for Crown to overcome by finals week - IMHO

I (right now) see it: BD, Cavaliers, PR, Cadets, Crown as top 5 but a lot more will be known by East

I really don't see Crown beating Cadets consistently - Cadets spent 2 days learning a new ending they did not perform. Tuesday night will clear that up a bit

Cadets aren't having an off year- just their design team.

1. Carolina Crown's win last night was a gimmee from the judges as a sorry we didn't score you so well last year - your show was awesome and you should have won!!!!

BS

2. Carolina Crown's win last night was a pure fluke and has done nothing but making the Cadets even stronger.

No Fluke, However, you guessed he second part right.

3. Carolina Crown's victory last night all of the sudden makes them the "dream cream team"

Star beat Cadets for the first time '86... we finished 8th at finals... Cadets 4th?

For Crown to finish 3rd, they have to beat 2 of: Cadets, Cavaliers, BD, Phantom.

They did beat the Cadets last night. I am very very excited for them, and small number of people I know marching there. That said, it was only one show, they are by no means "ahead" of the Cadets for the duration of the summer based on last night, and even if we were [for sake of the argument] to say Crown will finish ahead of Cadets, they still have to beat one out of Cavaliers, BD, and Phantom, which I just don't think is likely. Could they? Yes. But IMO, it's not likely.

The closer you get to the top, the harder it is to move up each space.

This reminds me a lot of the Bluecoats BD/Cavie defeat last year, and well how did that turn out? This is good for the Crown fans. However it's early July so there is no knowing what may happen, Cadets could be dirty and Crown could be clean given their shows. The seasons a marathon not a sprint.

I will say, congrats to Crown! I would love to see a new era of DCI with no top 3.

This reminds me a lot of the Bluecoats BD/Cavie defeat last year, and well how did that turn out?

True, but Orlando is far from Carolina, and Blucoats win was in Canton; not that I'm saying it wasn't deserved of course, it's just that there is that certain something that you feel at your home show . . . anyone disagree?

Cadets aren't having an off year- just their design team.

cadets trumpets can't play in tune consistently. isn't that an off year for a top 6 corps? from the first time i heard them play i had them pegged as this years corps most likely to drop in standings compared to last year.

cadets trumpets can't play in tune consistently. isn't that an off year for a top 6 corps? from the first time i heard them play i had them pegged as this years corps most likely to drop in standings compared to last year.

neither can Phantom or Vanguard, but thats consistently.......