The San Antonio Ice House - Pre and post show discussion.

How does a show with no real concept besides playing famous finales and another show with no real music make 2 and 3 at a world class event? That is beyond me. I am so disappointed in the judging panel, I just don't know what to say.

Don't get me wrong, Crown can play, and they can do it while marching, but the show has no backbone.

The Cavaliers show is Billy Joel/ Machine/ Spin Cycle/ Every other show since 2001, with less music. The entire show is built upon a variation of a "melody" from machine. Most of the drill forms originate from the other shows they have done, and don't forget that we must put down our horns and do some sort of dance every year.

However, BD's show is on fire. That sums that show up.

You could start by congratulating all the corps for a fantastic evening.

No backbone?? WTF?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the placements are different come finals, I don't care how they are tonight. Great job to every corps who performed tonight. I become more amazed with each viewing. Now, it's time for MY faves to clean the heck outta their shows and start passing people. Rear view mirror!

You could start by congratulating all the corps for a fantastic evening.

No backbone?? WTF?

No backbone allows them to march the heck out of that field while playing some crazy stuff. That's what I he was trying to say.

I get that you love Regiment. Really, I do. (I think we all do).

But give credit where credit is due. Crown had a better performance than Regiment tonight. They didn't get third just because they went last.

That being said...I think Regiment has a good show that just needs to "gel" a little more. And I won't deny it...a part of me wonders what Regiment could be doing these days if they had kept Leon May (Crown's drill designer).

Still, Regiment's show has plenty of room to grow into a top three, or even top two show.

But tonight, I give major props to Crown.

I am not usually a PR fan, but I also think this year's show has some legs. It's a solid concept, it's powerful music, the story is told well. I just don't think they've gotten where they want to be in terms of performance levels. I would not be shocked if they were to make top 3 at championships.

I actually think the most vulnerable show might be the Cavies - unless they add some significant material and effect, I just don't see how it stands above the Crown and Phantom products if/when those two are fully cleaned.

Don't get me wrong. I am very impressed by Crown's maturity. Last year, I was sitting in the stands thinking,"Stop clapping, they played loud but they just crapped all over themselves in the technical passages before that."

Now, this year they have matured, they're playing heavy music and moving at a good speed, and comfortable it seems, while they're doing it.

But the top the last several years have been shows that have conveyed musically and visually the idea. I saw a marching band shirt this past year that said, "What's the Show?" basically giving the director the leash to do whatever music he/she liked. I just have no connection besides, that's good music, and they're playing it well. Which for some, works.

Don't misunderstand me here either. I LOVE the fact they're playing music I know, but the music they are playing just doesn't make sense together, and it isn't portrayed visually, thats really my only problem with it.

I wish more people played melodies like Crown, Cadets, Phantom. I like melodies.

How does a show with no real concept besides playing famous finales and another show with no real music make 2 and 3 at a world class event? That is beyond me. I am so disappointed in the judging panel, I just don't know what to say.

Don't get me wrong, Crown can play, and they can do it while marching, but the show has no backbone.

The Cavaliers show is Billy Joel/ Machine/ Spin Cycle/ Every other show since 2001, with less music. The entire show is built upon a variation of a "melody" from machine. Most of the drill forms originate from the other shows they have done, and don't forget that we must put down our horns and do some sort of dance every year.

However, BD's show is on fire. That sums that show up.

I am very proud of Crowns achievement! Especially since my brother is out there on the field. I wish i was there to see that tonight. As far as the show having no backbone, Its one of the hardest drills out there on the field, there guard once again is kick____ and there brass line has an amazing sound. The show is called "finis" in which the search of the perfect ending. Hence all the ending of some amazing pieces. Crown for sure delivers the concept from start to finish and connects with the crowd. There drill still has a lot of cleaning to do but so does every other top world class corps. And hate to break your heart but Crown IS a WORLD CLASS CORPS!

shout out to my brother BRIAN K. I am proud of you!

No backbone allows them to march the heck out of that field while playing some crazy stuff. That's what I he was trying to say.

Sorry. I am an old schooler. Trying to get used to the words of today.

lol :thumbup: