Small Dallas Review

I didn't see every corps, and didn't pay attention to the ones I did see enough to give a really detailed review. I didn't see Crossmen, Mandarins, or Crusaders.

From what I remember:

Pioneer- From what I've heard about this show, a lot of it came true from my view. Luckily, I was right in front at the very bottom (not even seated because the stands were so congested with people trying to leave and people trying to take a seat), so I got a real nice view. I really like the opening section, nice impacts. The guard starting off on the ladders with the bodhran intro (irish drums) was cool, I thought being on the ladders and all added effect and it was and different. I'd say the drumline is pretty much the strongest section. I really like the drum tuning, the snares are very crisp and sound like how Pearl snare drums should sound. The tenor drums sounded very nicely, too, I believe they're using EVANS Frost tenor heads, and they were tuned pretty well. The basses sounded great. There's definitely some good tuning ability in this line. :D There's one area where the snare line has a tap roll, followed by a ping-shot release; it sounded great. I honestly think they were my most favorite-sounding drums of the night. The music is cool, I do enjoy it. At times, the sops seemed to have a little trouble with sound quality, but I think they made up in other areas of the show. The percussion feature is pretty awesome. I don't remember much about, but I remember thinking "niicce" when it happened, ha. The cymbal line is especially good, a lot of really awesome visuals. Overall, a nice show, a memorable one, too. I look forward to getting an APD soon.

Pacific Crest- The only thing I really remember, is the music was cool, seems like a nicely driven show. The drumline has notes all over it and plays well, also definitely enjoying the snareline tilt. :) I forgot which brass instrument one of the main solos was on, but it was pretty nice. Overall, cool show. I agree they are better this year.

Blue Knights- Not gonna lie, this one is kind of boring, although some cool moments going on, though, like the dark contra solo at...I forget where it is. For 10 snares, it's clean, so that was pretty nice. The bassline rocks, tenors had some note trouble once in a while. I don't remember much about this show really. There were some musical parts I thought were good, but already forget where they are, or how they sound, ha.

Blue Devils- Yeahhh.. this one's quite awesome. I think what makes this show so cool, is the....well...absurdity, haha: Members running to spots, guard acting freely sometimes, guard members holding up the tenor drums while they drum, etc. The "balance beam" is pretty cool, and the rotating bass drums were really awesome. I know other lines have used them before, but especially in person, it looks very cool, and not to mention they played their bass feature along with the rotating very well. The beginning taiko drumming adds a lot to the music in the beginning, I think. I was kind of skeptical when I saw that they were going to use taiko drums in the beginning of the show, but now that I really see and hear it, it's pretty awesome; very fitting. Nice music, good hornline. My vote for most entertaining show, of course. During the whole show, you can look around the field, and something random is probably going on, especially what looked like some of the battery having a "conversation" backfield at a certain time, haha.

SCVanguard- I enjoyed the opener, nice music. I'm not sure the drumline totally reminds me of '04, I think it's more of the technique and approach they are using again that is more of the reminder of that year, although they do play aggressively and have some awesome notes, and the great snare drum tilt is back, which makes them look more Vanguard, I think. I don't remember much from this show, other than cool music and nice drum beats. Also, I believe the Vanguard "yell" has been established, haha.

Phantom Regiment- My favorite show of the night, I really like it. The music is pretty awesome, and they have some great stuff going on, visually, and the "violent" moments are pretty cool, especially when the drum major slashes the guard girl's throat, haha. They also do a great job with making those moments intense with the music, especially when the guard-guy stabs the other guard-guy that's on the ground, and they drag him away. The drumline is really good, some great tuning going on, and naturally aggressive like usual. I really like the feature, P. Rennick's writing style really comes out in it, which is always awesome. Real nice hornline, always sounding good. The drumline cadenced off the field, but I didn't get a chance to really watch it, as we started leaving the stands when the show had ended. Also wanting an APD on this show, too.

Sorry I don't remember much, but thought I'd share what I did anyways. It was great to see some shows live, and I'm excited for Sunday in Denton to see the Cavaliers.

• 15 years later...

No need to remember when, 'cause everything old is new again. 

Wish that were true of me. Or at least my joints. 

• Haha 3

7 weeks after this was posted on DCP, Tom Brady went down to a knee injury in the opening game of the season for New England, had surgery and was out for the rest of the season. Patriots were coming off a 19-1 season in 2007 . Some noted  NFL TV football analysts  opined at the time that Brady's injury was serious enough to likely end his career .  (But Brady came back in 2009, played 14 more seasons, won 4 more Super Bowls, and was the NFL's MVP 3 more times )

2008 was also the season that Phantom Regiment came on strong a few weeks after this DCP post, and caught the Blue Devils on Finals Night to win themselves a DCI Title .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

7 weeks after this was posted on DCP, Tom Brady went down to a knee injury in the opening game of the season for New England, had surgery and was out for the rest of the season. Patriots were coming off a 19-1 season in 2007 . Some noted  NFL TV football analysts  opined at the time that Brady's injury was serious enough to likely end his career .  (But Brady came back in 2009, played 14 more seasons, won 4 more Super Bowls, and was the NFL's MVP 3 more times )

2008 was also the season that Phantom Regiment came on strong a few weeks after this DCP post, and caught the Blue Devils on Finals Night to win themselves a DCI Title .

Yay!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

I wasnt there  in 2008 when Phantom Regiment pulled off the BD upset on Finals Night, but those that were there tell me their performance, then the score read ,was electrifying.

It was, and it was 😀.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boss Anova said:

I wasnt there  in 2008 when Phantom Regiment pulled off the BD upset on Finals Night, but those that were there tell me their performance, then the score read ,was electrifying.

I was there on the 50 first row.   It was great! 

• Like 3