It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't just hire a professional script writer.

They didn't hire one?

I haven't seen Cadets show this year, but after last year where my jaw hit the flow in Pasadena at how bad the writing was...I thought there was talk of Cadets getting a pro?

I mean, you hire someone to write your brass and percussion score, right? Why on Earth would you shoot yourself in the foot by having someone without top writing skills? Is it ego? I have no clue...

Now, this is all predicated on the idea that George is in fact doing the writing this year....again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't go to drum corps shows to listen to amplified narration. That being said, I don't usually get my panties in a bunch over it because I can usually tune it out. And I'd even go so far to say that there were a couple of lines in the Bluecoats '07 show that made me chuckle, even if they didn't really make sense in the context of the "story" (telling the cops they had the right to remain silent?).

But contrary to all who are willing to give the Bluecoats a pass, my opinion (stipulating it's my opinion before someone else makes of point of it) is that this year's narration is every bit as bad, if not worse, than the Cadets. It's certainly no more necessary. I pulled a comment from my post in another thread that basically said that the Bluecoats exemplify the WGI-ification of the football field more than any other drum corps. If it weren't for the inclusion of "The Boxer" into the show, there'd be little to hold my interest.

As so many have said about the Cadets, there's some really great talent here, why doesn't the design team let them rock us with their music? "The Boxer" triumphs; bring it with the rest of the show, too.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Thant's right. You can do that in Drum Corps for a while, but in the REAL world, doing the same thing over and over despite feedback that it isn't working, is suicide.

Are you serious? If that were the case, we wouldn't have Airplanes, computers, the military wouldn't be where it is today, and I can name lots of other cases.

Maybe Cadets will keep going at it until it clicks. And when that happens it will probably be awesome. But this year, it IS sophomoric and silly IMO - the way to be happy is......just snap your fingers??? Are you kidding me?? That's the big deep answer? If only it were that simple. I'm sorry, I find this year's narration shallow, immature, you know, as if it were written by someone who doesn't have a lot of life experience. And I'm not at a drum corps show for a philosphy lesson.

Yes, I get yours and everyone else's points. You guys have made it clear many, many times.

Yes, I get yours and everyone else's points. You guys have made it clear many, many times.

I like your picture, btw. That was fun to watch.

Tekk,

I appreciate your loyalty but you are figthing a build-up of several years of frustration and anger in the fan base.

It is not logical but it is often true...

Yeah I guess you are right. Maybe I should just sit back and shut up.

I'm not sure that is productive either.

It may lower your blood pressure but not have any real impact on this "situation".

I'm genuinely curious what George sees that no one else does at this point.

Yeah I guess you are right. Maybe I should just sit back and shut up.
Edited by dckid80