It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

Just finished watching the Cadets............

My sis and I figured that the music was great!

But we thought that the show could have come off just as well without the narration......that you didnt need the narration to tell a story......if you cant tell it through music and motion, then the point of drum corps is kinda lost......

We also thought that the narration took away from the performance and that the visuals/drill were not as stimulating as they could have been.

These are all good points we have been making since they've been talking over the playing. It just isn't needed to convey the story.

I thought that about Cadets show last year. I loved the smoking hot horn line, and the show over all. Just couldn't cope with the annoying narration. Anyway, it's interesting that you came to this same conclusion that some of us have been saying over and over.

I think personally the narration IS the problem still, whether it's done tastefully or not. For instance last years Crown show. I absolutely LOVED It when I saw it in Murf, then they just had to go and put narration in it. We didn't NEED the narration. We knew what was going on. I don't know what else to say about that except it disappointed me when they added the narration regardless if it "FIT" the show.

It's almost like people are just beginning to say "I guess if we HAVE to have this shoved in our face then we'll accept it if it's done tastefully". Well I'm just not going for it anymore. That's why I don't post on here that much anymore. But I just had to respond to this.

I still don't see why it's needed at all personally. It ruins good shows to me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think personally the narration IS the problem still, whether it's done tastefully or not. For instance last years Crown show. I absolutely LOVED It when I saw it in Murf, then they just had to go and put narration in it. We didn't NEED the narration. We knew what was going on. I don't know what else to say about that except it disappointed me when they added the narration regardless if it "FIT" the show.

I still don't see why it's needed at all personally. It ruins good shows to me.

I kinda think that the design staff dum down the show for the judges...NOT the much wiser audience!

B'

I'll agree with the original poster to an extent regarding the chit-chat in Bluecoats' program. I DO think that it gets excessive in the closer- as an audience member, I GET that it's a boxing show and that it's the "big rematch"- I don't need to hear the "trainer" yelling "Get up, kid!" because as an audience member, I'm ALREADY THINKING THAT MYSELF. Why? Because the performance itself has already MADE me want to think that.

Otherwise, it's "appropriate within the context of the show". That's all I'll say.

As for Cadets- I got bored and turned off the broadcast before the opener was even done, because I'm tired of seeing a great musical ensemble being used as the World's Greatest Backup Band.

Flame away.

bluecoats narration is worse than cadets

flame away

:troll food:

I watched Bluecoats show earlier in the weak and found the narration just as ineffective as I do Cadets.

Oh, and I just have to add ... The new ending is basically inaccurate. They are confusing a reference to the Declaration of Independence with the U.S. Constitution.

The Constitution guarantees that no citizen shall be deprived of "life, liberty or property" without due process of law.

The Declaration of Independence posits that all men are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights including life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness (obviously Jefferson didn't include blacks in this picture, but that's another story.)

Why do I bring this up? If the Cadets are the uber educational institution that they claim to be, they'd get this right. This is almost as bad as when they were claiming that "Les Mis" was about "life and death in the time of the French Revolution." They obviously never read that book either.

Pah ... Pseudo-intellectuals.

Uh....I read it. And yeah...it is.

Um ... No. It takes place 60 years later.