It's not narration that's the problem, it's Cadets' pr

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Cadets- I got bored and turned off the broadcast before the opener was even done, because I'm tired of seeing a great musical ensemble being used as the World's Greatest Backup Band.

Flame away.

It's easy to choose to be disapointed before you actually watch the whole show.

bluecoats narration is worse than cadets

flame away

To be honest I think both Cadets and Coats narration is pointless. I finally saw both of their shows and IMO Cadets need better acting if they're going to do what they're doing. It's not as overwhelming as I thought. Nice and all but, nope. Not working.

Coats, for me, just got frustrating. This is the first Coats show that I have not really enjoyed all that much in a while.

Just finished watching the Cadets............

we thought that the show could have come off just as well without the narration......that you didnt need the narration to tell a story

I have to disagree with you. With this show you MUST have narration to tell the story. I have heard all of this

music prior to the Cadets performing it. NEVER did the "pursuit of happiness" or "surviving breast cancer" come

into my mind. I'm sure neither of those thoughts came into Frank Ticheli's mind when he wrote the music.

Without the narration there is NO STORY.

That being said...I'd much prefer the music to the story. This is a case of the narration taking away from the music. Not the case with the Bluecoats.

Pah ... Pseudo-intellectuals.

I agree. I feel like the Cadets are telling me they want to engage me intellectually - we're listening to an NPR interview, we're citing Harvard studies, etc. - but the intellectual content of their program is completely incoherent. Why on earth is Sarah Jones interpreting the Declaration of Independence? Was the main lesson she learned from her cancer scare that Thomas Jefferson really knew a lot of about how to be happy? Did I missed the part where she talked about moonlighting as a poli sci professor?

For the life of me, I don't understand why they don't just hire a professional script writer.

I thought the same thing about the Cadet's script wanting to be intellectual, but being banal. The story as it stands is a very common one, and the dialog is less than witty. It is more like literary blunt force trauma. There is no wit, or turn of phrase and I believe I even heard Sarah Jones using "umms." All told, the dialog coupled with the disjointed music and occasional riff by percussion added up to an entertainment value that I'd prefer to never see nor hear again.

I dislike the concept of narration in drum corps, but if it HAS to be done, at least have a product that is professional. There are some shows that are so obscure that a word here or there may actually help the audiene follow along. While I'd prefer that these corps NOT use dialog (I'd even prefer a printed 'introduction'), if it has to bed done, find a way to do it tastefully and with as little use of words as possible. That's my humble opinion.

I can imagine (in horror) scanning DCI recaps 10 years down the line to see who is winning the "narration" caption.

Because Hoppy is DA MAN! This is HIS baby. Bless his heart.

bluecoats narration is worse than cadets

flame away

I almost agree. Cadets NEED the narration. Otherwise there's no way the crowd could make the "happiness" connection. Doesn't mean I like it, or the concept, and I believe the corps would be better served by simply playing the music. But the design team made a decision that there has to be a message beneath the music and so narration is needed.

Coats don't need it. Maybe the opening spiel, if it were shortened, wouldn't be bad. But all the little "get up, kid!" phrases in the middle just got annoying. I'll check it out in person at the Allentown show and decide whether it's going to have the honor of being my official bathroom break show in Bloomington.

That said, Coats are largely getting a pass on their narrative because Cadets are acting as the lightning rod which isn't entirely fair.

Edited by Phillygwm