Cavaliers 4th in GE Vis?

I could never figure out why corps make changes.

Do they think it'll work but the judges think differently?

Or do they put quality in, but try making adjustments during the summer for the mental sake of their members? I know that is why corps learn new music throughout, so you don't do the same thing every day.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are they just now putting on a new ending?

that's ridiculous.

No it's not, they always wait until now to put in a new ending. Every group is adding news things each week and will be until the final performance. Where have you been? :thumbup:

Or do they put quality in, but try making adjustments during the summer for the mental sake of their members? I know that is why corps learn new music throughout, so you don't do the same thing every day.

The judges see the same show over and over, if they see the same old thing from one group each week, where is the improvement and how can they give them higher scores? If there are changes, they know they have been doing something different that week, adds to the show and shows that a Corps can improve. It's like grading someones work in class, if they keep doing the same thing all year and never learn anything new, how can I assess them and how can they improve. Also, have you ever tried learning a show as hard as most of these groups have on finals night in the first weeks of pre-tour? These kids can only absorb so much information and refine it at one time.

One of the best examples of adding a new ending that worked very well was Cavaliers in 1995. Mid season, the ending was very bland. After all of the cool stuff in that show, the end just kind of sat there. With only about 2 weeks left, it was rewritten musically and visually and brought the house down. One of my favorite endings of all time.

I think it's just a different approach to the activity in general. Rather than throwing a final, complete product at you in May saying, "here. this is your show for the year.. now we're going to go out there and bust our nuts trying to get it all clean and peak in August. Scores will probably really suck for a little while but that will change and as long as we can clean this show, we'll be golden"

there is a different school of thought that says in May, "here. This is the basic show. it's pretty simple right now but it's all the basics we need and once you have this mastered, we'll start tweaking it to add in difficulty and make it better. Stay on your toes. What we put out next week will not be the show you march all summer."

i think the former approach had pitfalls like finding flaws in the design and needing to do rewrites in order to correct them.. which could put you further behind in the cleaning phase.. the latter approach could also encounter design flaws but the corrections could happen a little more seamlessly and without loss to any phase at all.. since you're cleaning and mastering a simpler product when the design flaws are uncovered.

Stef

Personally, I think it's lacking in GE (both visually and musically) because the theme just doesn't idiomatically translate to drum corps.

I don't know much about being a samurai--alas, I elected to become a musician--but eastern music (aside from Taiko, which in its ensemble form is a relatively recent thing) has never struck me as being big, aggressive, and in-your-face. If I were to close my eyes and picture a visual representation of any piece of Japanese music with which I'm familiar (again, not much, and we'll exclude Japanese pop for the moment), I tend to think more along the lines of "White Lilies on the Water", and less along the lines of "precision execution, straight lines and boxes, and clean, mechanical pass-throughs".

If I didn't hear the announcement of "Samurai", and if we could do away with some of the details (costuming, drums in the pit, etc.), I would probably sit back, soak it in, and enjoy it, despite a little thematic confusion. Instead, I find myself sitting and really trying to "get" it... but never quite managing to.

as I predicted, their easy, unoriginal, reshashed show will catch up with them. Oddly, they arent executing or performing that show that well either. Of all captions that Cavies consistently take, it's GE....their brass and percussion, for past 3 years, have only hung on by a thread, but their GE made up for it...oh well, times change...make room for new blood: Carolina Crown.

I mean, honestly, are you not entertained?

No, no I'm not.

as I predicted, their easy, unoriginal, reshashed show will catch up with them. Oddly, they arent executing or performing that show that well either. Of all captions that Cavies consistently take, it's GE....their brass and percussion, for past 3 years, have only hung on by a thread, but their GE made up for it...oh well, times change...make room for new blood: Carolina Crown.

Honk!!!