Cavaliers 4th in GE Vis?

I am definitely confused on Cavies 4th in GE visual. I don't think anyone else comes close to the visual GE of Cavies. I think SCV could, if they cleaned it up a little more.

But 4th??? wow, interesting.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess they'd look better if they played louder.

*insert standard ORLY owl image here*

I think every show done by The Cavaliers has a distinc personality. This year's is quite obvious, to me.

In Japanese culture even the most difficult things are made to be beautifully simple. That's what this show is...Beautiful. So much of what they are doing seems effortless, regardless of the true demand.

The music has more eastern theory going on, which is why many DCI fans aren't diggin' it...it's not full of power chord progressions. But how samurai would it be to tack on a IV V I, or worse yet, a PC to the end of a movement. The Cavaliers' design staff wouldn't do that because it doesn't make sense.

As far as drill goes, there may not be as much "ooo ahhhh" moments as from past years, but man are there some great things happening. Tons of subtle references to Japanese culture.

But in reference to the OP: I feel that this show may be too subtle for some judges. In years past there has always been a good balance between subtle design additions and "in your face" moments. I feel this show lacks in the balance aspect, which would explain many fan and judge reactions.

As far as BD is concerned, I loathed last year's show. Clean, yes...boring, yes. This year is just slightly more entertaining. It def has some very cool moments, but it feels so disconnected. I know some would use the "it's absurd" excuse...but if people don't get that, then it's not working.

All in all BD is known for putting it all out there and cleaning it fast. The Cavaliers always put the new ending on at Atlanta. So if anything, this makes for one nail bitter of a season. I mean, honestly, are you not entertained?

Let's have this discussion next Sunday, after Atlanta. Once the new ending is on for the Cavaliers and some cleaning is done in the lines, I think we'll see an even more entertaining show.

Can't comment on the likeability of the Blue Devils show, as I am obviously biased. Just want the Cavs to be the best!

Why are they just now putting on a new ending?

that's ridiculous.

that's ridiculous.

They will be working on the new ending over a three day period somewhere in Missouri this next week.

For some reason, it's actually rare to see Cavaliers finish first in Vis GE. Even their amazing 2006 show couldn't finish first in that caption at finals. And yet they still finish high in Music GE.

The music has more eastern theory going on, which is why many DCI fans aren't diggin' it...it's not full of power chord progressions.

Condescend much?

I would say my problem with their brass book is that it doesn't sound in the least "eastern". It sounds a lot like The Machine with pitch bends. Saucedo is a fine arranger, but as a composer, he seems to have something of a limited range.

I think their percussion book does a much better job of presenting the theme of the show musically.

Let's have this discussion next Sunday, after Atlanta. Once the new ending is on for the Cavaliers and some cleaning is done in the lines, I think we'll see an even more entertaining show.

Can't comment on the likeability of the Blue Devils show, as I am obviously biased. Just want the Cavs to be the best!

BD DM said on DCI interview last night (post SA show) that they were about 70% finished. What that means is anyone's guess, but fair to assume that their ending and other component parts will be made more "absurd", which at this point means more wow factor to come. It's clear at this point in the season that the "risking" part is nolonger a question (in the eyes of the fans and judges) so.... I agree that if Cavies create/edit moments that they are famous for it will continue to be a wonderfully competitive last few weeks, with the fans being the winners.

I am an admitted BD fan, but I have loved the Cavies too. Their show is haunting and even dark. Their drill is inventive and extremely transportable to the eyes of the fans, but the almost involuntary stand-on-your-feet emotional (Framework/Machine) moments are missing this year. There's room in the show, but I think it's a matter on time left. The genius in the design of BD's show is that is demands upgrade with every performance. They're not done adding by a long shot!

that's ridiculous.

Are you new here?

Cavaliers (and BD, and Cadets and just about every EXTREMELY successful drum corps in the past 10 or 40 years) do that every year. Sometimes two or three times. Long gone are the days of "write a show, learn it and spend all season cleaning it to "peak" at finals." Nowadays, shows evolve all season long.

I am sorry for being so harsh but really, I have to ask; which is more ridiculous? The corps that do it or the fans who are just now becoming aware that it's been happening for most of DCI's history?

Stef