Cavaliers 4th in GE Vis?

I don't think their design is up to par with previous years. I was really excited to see the show the moment they announced the concept, but once seeing it, I was greatly disappointed. I was definitely expecting to see some more intense/complex drill, I was also expecting a more aggressive brass book, it feels like they are holding back musically, but I think overall, with some rewrites before finals night, it can become an amazing show.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think their design is up to par with previous years. I was really excited to see the show the moment they announced the concept, but once seeing it, I was greatly disappointed. I was definitely expecting to see some more intense/complex drill, I was also expecting a more aggressive brass book, it feels like they are holding back musically, but I think overall, with some rewrites before finals night, it can become an amazing show.

I know what you mean about the announced concept. I kept saying to my friends something like:

Big Box quad-segments into Ninja Star into Box to Diamond Cutter to more small Ninja Stars, etc.=Championship : )

I guess we shall see. Oh and by the way, I know Ninja are not Samurai, but are there any Ninja Star forms in the show?

While watching from the upper level of the dome, it seemed The Cavaliers had one thing missing from there show. Well...make that two things. Their ending of the show, and their VOLUME. Of course, this show doesn't demand volume like other corps shows do, but seriously....every corps out there could reach the top rows of the dome with mass amounts of enless volume... except The Cavaliers. Their horn sound is by far the best (their low brass is crazy good), but its not reaching like it could... and with all these corps this year that seem to be going back to the louder is better approach (though this year seems like a great year for hornlines), The Cavaliers just seem (mf) compared to all the rest from the upper level of the dome.

Now as far as vis effect goes....who knows. I guess they'd look better if they played louder. There are a few moments in the show though, where I don't exacly know what I should be looking at... and feel like I'm missing something. That might be working against them. I'm sure they haven't cleaned all 260+ of their sets on the field, so they aren't quite as clean as BD right now. 4th might be a bit of a stretch though....

And count me in the 20% of people who honestly didn't get excited by BD's show.

This happens every year, and it is due to the nature of the two corps' marching system. The Blue Devils consistently are cleaner much sooner than The Cavaliers because they utilize guiding, which allows them to have cleaner forms earlier in the season. The Cavaliers use the dot system, which although it takes longer to clean, allows the corps to be more precise towards the end of the season. I disagree with the poster who said they were clean, because I can state from my point of view that they were NOT clean. The drill for their (Cavaliers) closer was very messy and was obviously in need of cleaning. They also had their old ending in which would affect the GE score greatly. When you have a less than stellar ending that does not evoke an emotional response, the general effect of the show will diminish. As there are still weeks left in the season, I would not lose any shred of sleep over the Cavaliers' ability to add GE to their show. I noticed PLENTY of potential for them to add to the show. The Blue Devils on the other hand, had a very exciting show that I instantly forgot about after they left the field. It was exciting because they have added their visuals and effect in already, and I believe their show is on the verge of topping-out. Only time will tell.

OH NOES!!! IT'S TIME FOR THE GREEN TO PANIC!!!!!

No it's not, it's just time for the Cavs to bite this year's impending bullet and start next year by thinking about making their shows musically interesting and entertaining.

Methinks they can sacrifice a tiny bit of their visual excellence to field better music.

Oh yeah, btw... The "impending bullet" is BLUE

I don't get how their visual ge comes in 4th when their music ge comes in 2nd!! I'd make a bigger issue about that because every time I hear their show I think robotic agents in frames! The only thing that sounds samurai is their percussion, horn line sounds as said earlier.

I'm typically a Cavies honk, but I have to agree that BD is on fire this year. I don't see anybody catching them.

I see the possibility of Cavaliers and Crown catching up to BD. Crown's drill isn't as clean as the other's but their horn line is pulling them along. BD always has the brass, but Phantom might pull that one off this year. There are too many horses in this race to call BD the winner now.

Edited by Gray3

WOW, looked at the San Antonio recaps, and BOTH GE vis judges agreed that Cavaliers were 4th in that caption. This always seemed to me like a stalwart caption for the Cavs.

Having not seen their show yet I have to wonder: What is going on!?

Anyone have some analysis? Just too dirty at the moment to be enjoyable? Design really not up to par? “Real” beginning, middle and end not put in yet? What?

Are the Cavies in trouble? Will they really be challenging Devs. come August.

PS: I love Cavaliers, but thought this sensationalist style of post might add more tension to an already nail-biting season! : )

The Cavaliers are not in trouble. They have a great show and came in 2nd in SA, so if one caption is hurting them at the moment I would say that could be a sign that once they are scoring higher in GE Vis that their numbers will align with BD.

They do have a very difficult visual program, and their music is not as easy as people often think it is. They are great performers!