Why is it...?

Why is it that ANY year the Cavaliers, Phantom, or Vanguard are the front runner, everybody is frolicking around this forum like it's Christmas morning... But when all of a sudden, we get 2 years in a row where the Blue Devils are really good, everybody feels the need to show their fangs. The Blue Devils put a stunning show on the field last year, and have gone even further this year, and all that seems to happen is people get hot and bothered about it.

They do nothing but put quality shows on the field every year, and with the exception of 1 year, they do so without feeling the need to chatter throughout the whole thing like 90% of this forum detests so much. But it seems the Devils never get any respect let alone love from more than just a small handful of people.

So, I'm sorry that they don't wear green and do summersaults on the field

I'm sorry that they don't jazz run for 75% of their show and play lots of classical music

And I'm really sorry they don't write a spot into the show where the crowd screams "BLUE DEVILS"

But I'm not sorry that they're put an amazing show on the field this year, and people can't be ok with it.

Maybe people have a problem with lack of melody? Not a slam against BD, the formula works for them.

I guess people have "a problem" about BD's lack of melodic phrasing as you do with a corps that wear green and do acrocbatics or jazz run while playing classical music. It's a matter of taste.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were you reading these boards in 2005....all they got was yowza yowza yowza jokes. they werent getting love hardly at all that year.

The "love" they got that year (and others) was from the judging community that just couldn't find it in themselves to knock BD down that one (deserved) notch below the Bluecoats.

The "love" they got that year (and others) was from the judging community that just couldn't find it in themselves to knock BD down that one (deserved) notch below the Bluecoats.

Or perhaps they though the Bluecoats show lacked that something that warranted putting them higher. Remember, much like the Cadets 2007 show, just because the audience does not like the narration and wouldn't place the show among their favorites does not mean the Blue Devils did not do an excellent job performing what they were given.

QUOTE (Wadep66 @ Jul 20 2008, 06:24 PM)

The issue for me is that I'd like to see some other Corps win.

REPLY (PhantomCrown @ Jul 20 2008, 07:35 PM' )

Why should it be the fault of Bd, Cadets, or the Cavs if nobody else puts the type of excellence they put on the field. Every corps has the same chance as another to win, shame on those 3 for working their butts off to perform at another level.

Absolutely concur with PhantomCrown. It's actually getting tiring hearing sooooo many folks jumping into criticism, absurd rationalizing, and wild projections from thread to thread year in year out where the sentiment seems to stem from the attitude articulated by Wadep66.

I'd love for the Cubs to win too in my lifetime as much as I'd selfishly love to see my Green Machine brothers get recognized for a great program. I may indeed get both this year, some years or decades I don't. But enjoying the journey and drama for all the corps and the members (as well as the Cubs :) in yet another season -- my 40th+ actually -- is reward enough.

I think (hope?) most DCI ex-participants, albeit with time from age-out, soften their competitive demeanor and learn to appreciate the experience for what it is. And many soften up to point that its a distant memory (like as a kid, played little league, but no big deal) and are 'lost fans'. That's not to say we don't get emotionally excited if we think 'our' team isn't getting a fair shake. There's a difference, tho, in rabidly ignoring the facts. IMO of course.

QUOTE (Wadep66 @ Jul 20 2008, 06:24 PM)

The issue for me is that I'd like to see some other Corps win.

REPLY (PhantomCrown @ Jul 20 2008, 07:35 PM' )

Why should it be the fault of Bd, Cadets, or the Cavs if nobody else puts the type of excellence they put on the field. Every corps has the same chance as another to win, shame on those 3 for working their butts off to perform at another level.

Absolutely concur with PhantomCrown. It's actually getting tiring hearing sooooo many folks jumping into criticism, absurd rationalizing, and wild projections from thread to thread year in year out where the sentiment seems to stem from the attitude articulated by Wadep66.

I'd love for the Cubs to win too in my lifetime as much as I'd selfishly love to see my Green Machine brothers get recognized for a great program. I may indeed get both this year, some years or decades I don't. But enjoying the journey and drama for all the corps and the members (as well as the Cubs :) in yet another season -- my 40th+ actually -- is reward enough.

I think (hope?) most DCI ex-participants, albeit with time from age-out, soften their competitive demeanor and learn to appreciate the experience for what it is. And many soften up to point that its a distant memory (like as a kid, played little league, but no big deal) and are 'lost fans'. That's not to say we don't get emotionally excited if we think 'our' team isn't getting a fair shake. There's a difference, tho, in rabidly ignoring the facts. IMO of course.

what you're not getting at is that many of us feel that those top few ARE NOT performing at a level that is clearly above all others, all the time.

we're not trying to turn dci into a popularity contest, we're voicing our honest concerns that a select group is being unfairly rewarded.

the haterade cooler is full the the brim. some like them, some don't.

simple.

I don't really care for them, but I'll still agree they are a top notch organization.

The Blue Devils have 12 titles. Plus, many people believe their drill to be a lot easier than most of the other top corps. Myself? I liked their opener in 2007 but the rest of the show was blah for me. Loved them in 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, and this year. I'd say I like them this year a lot more than I normally like them.