Crown's Homage to '87 Garfield?

So I've not seen Crown live yet, but I have seen them a few times on the FN. But as I was watching their performance from SA, I noticed that they do a mini dissolving company front from Garfield's '87 Appalachian Spring show.

I am a huge fan of '87 Garfield and the way that Crown worked that iconic moment of drum corps history into their show this year was fantastic! So subtle and well done.

Are there similar references to past drum corps shows in the Crown production?

In the closer (the actual closer of the show :grouphug: ), they do the Cavie "step-over" during the 1812 company front (would incredible if they could add the pause to it) and a mini "Z-Pull" on side 2 when the Appalachian Spring melody comes in.

Edited by skajerk

many.

The phantom wedge, a mini Z pull, i see something that reminds me of 2000 cavies, but i'm not sure it's meant to be...

So I've not seen Crown live yet, but I have seen them a few times on the FN. But as I was watching their performance from SA, I noticed that they do a mini dissolving company front from Garfield's '87 Appalachian Spring show.

I am a huge fan of '87 Garfield and the way that Crown worked that iconic moment of drum corps history into their show this year was fantastic! So subtle and well done.

Are there similar references to past drum corps shows in the Crown production?

Many, and it's on another thread here somewhere, but I couldn't find it (lazy)

At the same time the dissolving front is going on, there is a Z-Pull just opposite the field, the Diamond Cutter is going on just over it, and something else as well. They also have the hornline step over the guard (a la Cavies) and the rifles are laying on the ground and spinning (27th).

And that's just what I have caught so far.

I wasn't high enough in SA to notice any others besides the whole company front stepping over the colorguard sequence. Others have mentioned the Z-pull and even references to Star's cross to cross (ie Crown to Crown). Again, I didn't notice these personally. It's just what I've heard.

Crown does a great job of blending OLD SCHOOL and MODERN. They have been the most entertaining corps the last two years. It wasn't even close at San Antonio IMO as far as being ENTERTAINED goes. The staff and management of Crown apparently GETS IT that most people could care less about the individual captions. We want to be entertained and hear RECOGNIZABLE music. That's what it's all about.

BD, Cavies, Phantom and Boston all had some entertaining elements to their shows, but fell far short of Crown.

You could throw all the rest in a box. All pretty much carbon copies of each other doing the SOS. (Non stop movement with unrecognizable music)........

Crown does a great job of blending OLD SCHOOL and MODERN. They have been the most entertaining corps the last two years. It wasn't even close at San Antonio IMO as far as being ENTERTAINED goes. The staff and management of Crown apparently GETS IT that most people could care less about the individual captions. We want to be entertained and hear RECOGNIZABLE music. That's what it's all about.

BD, Cavies, Phantom and Boston all had some entertaining elements to their shows, but fell far short of Crown.

You could throw all the rest in a box. All pretty much carbon copies of each other doing the SOS. (Non stop movement with unrecognizable music)........

Given the title of this thread and the past few posts, this statement is laughable.

They're not the only ones with a company front. When I was at DCI Orlando, I'm pretty sure I saw Crown, Bluecoats, Boston, and I think Colts all have a company front. Also, Bluecoats had a drill set like Cavies had last year where it was a diagonal line of connecting mini arcs.

In the closer (the actual closer of the show :grouphug: ), they do the Cavie "step-over" during the 1812 company front (would incredible if they could add the pause to it) and a mini "Z-Pull" on side 2 when the Appalachian Spring melody comes in.

Actually, Phantom did the step over the guard in the 1812 as well, I believe.

My favorite Phantom stepover move was the Beethoven year when the stepover included new yellow Beethoven flags (hidden beneath a black sheeth) popping up on the other side of the company front.