PHANTOM - Dropping out of the TOP 5 ?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh?

How about comparing head-to-head meetings with all the top 6 scoring corps before putting Phantom in 6th?

This place is out of control it seems. So much conjecture and arm-chair 'quaterbacking' going on here. It's really bad this year.

Like any of these scores really matter when comparing the corps unless they're head-to-head. Yikes, can't we just enjoy the shows and not worry about who is going to win? It's not a science. Really... :tongue:

What the heck it the question? Can Phantom fall out of the top 5? The OP says yes but shows no data to say PR will be beat by the 6th place corps. What's up with that?

Phantom Regiment was the corps that I was most excited to see in San Antonio, having seen their previous versions of Spartacus in 81 and 82. This year the corps is great musically, but the visual design just does not measure up. It is NOT the members fault. They are doing a GREAT job. Unfortunately the visual reminds me of last years show which was also not up to the musical book nor the members talent. Did they bring back the same design staff?

The guard almost disappears because of the costuming against the white corps uniforms and seem to be wasted trying to sell the storyline.

When the Spartacus program was originally announced earlier this year, I thought that Phantom would finally win the championship I had wanted them to win(not tie) since I first viewed them back in 1978. I will continue to wait. A fall out of the top five is a possibility. But I think high scores in brass and percussion will keep them above Santa Clara. Even though I thought SCV had the best drill of the night.

Edited by musclebud

We can just as much predict they will finish 5th, maybe even 6th, as easily as we can predict they finish 2nd. They are so close with Cadets, Crown and even the Cavies...close enough that passing them isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Well, I haven't seen anyone in PR's little realm of scores. Crown beat them in SA and Monroe--nice. The spread shrunk in Monroe. Don't count this group out. I would establish that historically, next to nobody brings it finals week like my guys. Crown just doesn't have that history established yet. Could they establish it this year? Sure. But until they do, and they're further ahead of PR in scoring, I won't be betting on it.

I don't see SCV catching up--scoring between these two was going the opposite direction from SCV catching up when they were out west.

Blooo won't beat PR. Just too far back.

Now, all that said, does PR have a chance to rise? Maybe not. If Cadets hold on--they'll be tough to beat. Good corps, decent show based on what you've all said. Not 07's. But competitive with PR/Crown. Cavies are pretty firmly planted in 2nd and I doubt even they can catch BD, absurd a thought as that may be!

So I see PR in the 3-5 range. Hoping 3, but that will take some hard work down the stretch. I learned a while back not to take what staff writes during the season as Gospel, so Tony's letter gushing about the greatness of this show sounds nice--I just haven't seen it in the recaps yet. Powerful subject matter, so it could still pop out 2nd if the cards are played right. But nobody answered my inquiry the other day re: calendar management and if the corps is actually ahead of the curve this time, so I don't know.

But 6, Trish? 7-12? Have you been out in the sun??? Get some aloe, Gatorade and a/c and relax--everything will be alright!

Oh, and I'd like to hear your thoughts, Trish, if you'd like to discuss the calendar management thing. There was some talk earlier this summer about how the corps had taken on a new mentality as far as putting the show on the field goes. But I would have expected a change in the recaps that I have yet to see.

To be honest I think it would be awesome for PR to get 6th place and win percussion. Something like that hasn't happened in a really long time(I think BD 91 was the last one below 4th to win a caption). They might even win Music or Brass too.

Personally I don't think it's gonna happen, but in one of the most competitive years in DCI you can't expect any less.

Huh?

How about comparing head-to-head meetings with all the top 6 scoring corps before putting Phantom in 6th?

This place is out of control it seems. So much conjecture and arm-chair 'quaterbacking' going on here. It's really bad this year.

Like any of these scores really matter when comparing the corps unless they're head-to-head. Yikes, can't we just enjoy the shows and not worry about who is going to win? It's not a science. Really... :tongue:

I'm sorry but....THIS year? When has it EVER been "good" for you in terms of the "conjecture" and "armchair-quarterbacking"? That is the very essence of DCP.

Well, I haven't seen anyone in PR's little realm of scores. Crown beat them in SA and Monroe--nice. The spread shrunk in Monroe. Don't count this group out. I would establish that historically, next to nobody brings it finals week like my guys. Crown just doesn't have that history established yet. Could they establish it this year? Sure. But until they do, and they're further ahead of PR in scoring, I won't be betting on it.

*snip*

Except, perhaps, the corps that have 12, 9, 7, and 6 championships (Blue Devils, Cadets, Cavaliers, and SCV, respectively)?

I contend that The Cadets and The Cavaliers have the stronger history of late-season surges, historically-speaking, and the number of championships speak for themselves concerning who "brings it" finals week.

Just sayin'... :tongue: