Show themes

And yet, there are corps that feel it necessary to tell us how to watch their shows. This year, we have had a corps to explain the verbal explanation of their show. Again, I must be some kind of uneducated hick, that resists "educational treats." I must not want to expand my mind or raise my standards.

But as in DVD extras, you are free to not watch/listen to that explanation, or read the explanation of other corps that want to describe the thought process of their show and what it means. You can just go to the show and never see or hear any of that stuff, just as you can rent a DVD and just watch the film. My wife rarely watches extras; I usually like them. To each their own. But the above has a negative slant to the idea that some corps DO like to provide such extras about their shows, which IMO is just not fair.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to the those who have participated in this discussion! Some very good reading.

Over the past 30 plus years there have been some truly entertaining shows: shows that caused you to spontaneously jump out of your seat and cheer like a manic. To me, that was what hooked me on drum corps: the raw emotion that appeals to anyone who had a pulse. No interpretation needed. Unfortunately, those shows have become few and far between.

I think it is most certainly time for the the few world class groups that are left in this activity to pull out some oldies but goodies. There is a plethora of great musical literature that has been played in the past that should be played again for all of us dinosaurs and the newbies. Frankly, I am really, really tired of all the overused symphonic band music played on a football field. I want jazz. I want latin. I want broadway. I want classical. I want rock. I want shows that consistently give me goosebumps.

Yah, some corps are doing a decent with designing audience accessible shows, but most are not. Maybe we should contact corps directors and tell them what we would like to see. Will providing our opinion make a difference? It just might!

So, show design has nothing to do with why there aren't more Joe Schmo's in the stands?

Maybe. It also might have something to do with a lot of us in the stands right now, too, though. I know it's crazy to believe that anybody actually likes what they're seeing, but do try.

So, show design has nothing to do with why there aren't more Joe Schmo's in the stands?

I wouldn't say that, just as I wouldn't say that fender design has nothing to do with why people aren't buying as many SUVs as they used to.

I wouldn't say that, just as I wouldn't say that fender design has nothing to do with why people aren't buying as many SUVs as they used to.

That's a bad comparison because you would need to compare the whole design of SUVs since we are talking about the whole design of drum corps shows. So, this analogy doesn't cut it, sorry.

That's a bad comparison because you would need to compare the whole design of SUVs since we are talking about the whole design of drum corps shows. So, this analogy doesn't cut it, sorry.

The point is that show design is one very small factor in whether or not people are going to go to a show. It's not a statement about design philosophy, it's a statement concerning my opinion of the importance of the factor in the decision-making process.

Does that make the purpose of the analogy clearer?

Touche!

I'd also like to see a moratorium on any more Americans suggesting the "dumbing-down" of anything, anymore, ever. It's over. It is so over.

In fact, how about, for a change of pace, we start fighting (LOUDLY!) for smarts, intelligence, education, challenges, longer attention spans, and pursuit of expertise?

Make quality synonymous with Mom, apple pie, and patriotism. Make mediocrity suspicious and sinister, for bleeding once!

Whatta concept...

To quote the legendary Pat Paulson: "I've upped my standards. Now, up yours!"

Great Post! I wish it would happen and we need it to happen soon! :thumbup:

But as in DVD extras, you are free to not watch/listen to that explanation, or read the explanation of other corps that want to describe the thought process of their show and what it means. You can just go to the show and never see or hear any of that stuff, just as you can rent a DVD and just watch the film. My wife rarely watches extras; I usually like them. To each their own. But the above has a negative slant to the idea that some corps DO like to provide such extras about their shows, which IMO is just not fair.

Mike, are yopu saying there's a remote under each seat in Bloomington so we can turn off the commentary?

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

Mike, are yopu saying there's a remote under each seat in Bloomington so we can turn off the commentary?

:smile:

Garry in Vegas

Nope. That remote is used to turn your mind off or on to accepting new things. :smile:

A lot of folks here in DCP start in the Off position. :tongue: