Thoughts About Cadets '08

Unlike many here, I'm not against Hop. Never met him. Cadets have been in the top three of my favorite corps throughout the years with the exception of '05. I've seen the show several times this year and just caught it in Van Buren. It is my opinion that they have a potenially great show. Glad to hear they have taken out the divorce and cancer dialog. Good decision. However, the show ends like a fizzling firecracker with no pop. If anyone has seen the show, I believe you know EXACTLY what I am writing about. Yes, I know that emotional endings can be quite effective (Santa Clara had a few of those). But in my opinion, the Cadets' ending is extremely ineffective and leaves the crowd quite unsatisfied, uncertain, with nothing to do but clap politely. It also robs the hard working members of the kind of applause they very much deserve. The Cadets have a very good show, but Please Mr. Hopkins, please try ending your show with excitement, not an ineffective, flat ending that leaves the fans and your members shortchanged. The request is of course the author's opinion only and is offered with a sincerity and good will for The Cadets and respect for Mr. Hopkins.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a thread title that states what I have been thinking about The Cadets show: "Show Themes: are they getting in the way of good show design."

In my opinion, that may be very well what is happening with this show. The Cadets had a great show at Van Buren. However, although I respect Mr. Hopkins for addressing a very thought-provoking show with a subject that all can relate to, is this theme and the message that Mr. Hopkins wants to convey getting in the way of a potentially great, highly entertaining show? Of course, that's a matter of opinion. However, it is my opinion that this may be valid here. I sincerely believe that if he closes his show with excitement, scores will go up, fans will squirm to get off there seats and cheer, and members will count the hours until they can once again blow their fans away with their consistantly high degree of performing talent.

Hop, it's not too late to make some changes and give the fans an exciting ending to a very fine show. Just my thoughts.

Edited by TrumpetCall

GEEZY CREEZY! <$1.00 to Eddie Izzard>

Do we really need yet ANOTHER Cadets thread? I know you probably meant well but everything said you could easily have been put in any of the other dozen Cadets threads.

Can we make a new rule about how many threads a corps gets? Like maybe keep it under 30?? </sarcasm>

In finishing, I add again...

deadhorse.gif

Edited by skajerk

I just read a thread title that states what I have been thinking about The Cadets show: "Show Themes: are they getting in the way of good show design."

In my opinion, that may be very well what is happening with this show. The Cadets had a great show at Van Buren. However, although I respect Mr. Hopkins for addressing a very thought-provoking show with a subject that all can relate to, is this theme and the message that Mr. Hopkins wants to convey getting in the way of a potentially great, highly entertaining show? Of course, that's a matter of opinion. However, it is my opinion that this may be valid here. I sincerely believe that if he closes his show with excitement, scores will go up, fans will squirm to get off there seats and cheer, and members will count the hours until they can once again blow their fans away with their consistantly high degree of performing talent.

Hop, it's not too late to make some changes and give the fans an exciting ending to a very fine show. Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts could have easily been posted here:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=115463

Again, Tekk is a little classier than I. JUST a little. :laughing:

Again, Tekk is a little classier than I. JUST a little. :laughing:

Izzard references! I love it. And I agree. Even this cadet honk/homer/kool aid drinker thinks the number of cadets threads is getting a tad extreme.

And I am James "The God" Mason.

Cake or death?

Unlike many here, I'm not against Hop. Never met him. Cadets have been in the top three of my favorite corps throughout the years with the exception of '05. I've seen the show several times this year and just caught it in Van Buren. It is my opinion that they have a potenially great show. Glad to hear they have taken out the divorce and cancer dialog. Good decision. However, the show ends like a fizzling firecracker with no pop. If anyone has seen the show, I believe you know EXACTLY what I am writing about. Yes, I know that emotional endings can be quite effective (Santa Clara had a few of those). But in my opinion, the Cadets' ending is extremely ineffective and leaves the crowd quite unsatisfied, uncertain, with nothing to do but clap politely. It also robs the hard working members of the kind of applause they very much deserve. The Cadets have a very good show, but Please Mr. Hopkins, please try ending your show with excitement, not an ineffective, flat ending that leaves the fans and your members shortchanged. The request is of course the author's opinion only and is offered with a sincerity and good will for The Cadets and respect for Mr. Hopkins.

Finally!!! Someone who agrees with me that ending a show with dialouge leaves the crowd sitting on their hands.

I have seen this show twice. Once in its original form at Toledo, and again in a more revised form at Orlando. , and in both cases the audience reaction was the most reserved of any performance in the show.

The horse is more than freakin' dead - it's already been taken off to the tannery and had its guts turned into Alpo.

Do we really need yet ANOTHER Cadets thread? I know you probably meant well but everything said you could easily have been put in any of the other dozen Cadets threads.

Got to disagree. Nothing wrong about a narrow topic like this. Why not discuss the Cadet's ending specifically in this thread versus the wider-ranging discussion in the others? These things take care of themselves, after all. If no one wants to discuss it, the thread disappears of its own inertia.

On topic, I agree that more oomph in the finish would help the appeal and the score. I haven't seen the show in three weeks. Based on that, it seems the intent is primarily to be profound. That's one choice. A better one might be to be happy, which would offer opportunity for all sorts of drum corps bliss.

HH