The Official "Cadets 2008" Thread . . .

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you claiming that the cadets have never gone over 12 hours rehearsal in a day, and that george hopkins was never the corps director and responsible for the training schedule on any of those days? i'm confused, what facts are you looking for here? because those were the two factual assertions in the paragraph you highlighted, we all know they are both completely accurate, and it is still my opinion that this is a solid basis from which to derive the hypothesis that anyone who does that must be placing scores above their members welfare, because otherwise they wouldn't flog their corps like that. i've been to shows where the cadets showed up looking gray faced they were so exhausted, and after performance if you saw them in the parking lot they looked like a bunch of zombies. star used to be like that back in the day too, look like a bunch of whipped dogs half the summer. whether you think thats excusable on the parts of their staffs or not, or you justify it by saying its about being better, not just the score, or thats what the members signed up for, so the staff has every right to do it or not is one thing. but are you seriously questioning that the cadets have a history of using pretty extreme training methods, including marathon rehearsal hours?

Thanks for clarifying that.

The bottom line is that you really have no idea of the facts behind those rehearsals, how long their breaks were, whether the kids voluntarily wanted to push longer, etc.... So you're classification of a "flogging" is already flawed.

If you want to make a case for Hopkins being championship consumed, you'll have to come up with something better than your admitted opinion.

Those who marched would know that placement is ONE piece of the pie. No corps is defined by placement in one year, and neither are the members. I have a ring, and nothing to show for other years except memories that last a lifetime. If I had to pick one summer to do again, it wouldn't necessarily be the highest-scoring summer.

I DO acknowledge that there are some who chase rings, but I believe them to be the exception rather than the rule. The summer will change them, though.

All the corps in the top 12 are really great, and all can hold their heads high regardless of scores (which are more subjective than objective).

wow... what's up with the flamers today? MODS, WHERE ARE YOU?!?!? There are a TON of flame bait threads going on...

I feel for the "kids". With as much talent as they have, it's not their fault the show concept missed the broad side of the barn.

I've been very vocal about narration ( pun intended) and don't care for it's overuse. While trying to block out the words to just enjoy the show, I must say I wish there was a seperate track that could be turned off to block out the narration.

Here's hopeing that they redirect themselves to pushing the envelope with passion for entertaining like they once did without too many words.

Gook luck Cadets, now get the puck oudda here.

All the corps in the top 12 are really great, and all can hold their heads high regardless of scores (which are more subjective than objective).

(and the rest of the corps below top 12 can go hang their heads in shame now? Just sayin..... :tongue: )

(I know that's probably not what you meant, but this is the kind of statement that really does help foster the oft-insinuated thought that "only" the top 12 matters.)

I can only imagine how the members marching the Cadet this year must feel. The Cadets have always been a contender but this years show is just not good no matter how you look at it. It started out badly, the changes are both good/bad and there just isn't enough time to fix everything. It has to be disheartening. Of course you can't take anything away from Carolina Crown, Phantom and the rest that are performing well but the Cadets just have a poorly put together show this year.

I gotta agree with others and Aaron here... this is definitely one of those "Oh I didn't mean to sound mean" :tongue: posts.

Oh yeah you did...

But if you're really that concerned about their fragile ego's... I would be will to assure... having no association with Cadets what-so-ever other than just observer... that they probably enjoy performing their show immensely, do it with no "deflated" enthusiasm, do it very well and could not care less what anyone thinks about them.

You can now sleep soundly again at night knowing this and stop your worrying... :worthy:

Edited by GGarrett

(and the rest of the corps below top 12 can go hang their heads in shame now? Just sayin..... :tongue: )

(I know that's probably not what you meant, but this is the kind of statement that really does help foster the oft-insinuated thought that "only" the top 12 matters.)

It is a shame that this is what you decided to take from the post. The reality is that there are 12 corps that make the elite distinction for this particular game. No disrespect intended to those who didn't make it this year.

I can only imagine how the members marching the Cadet this year must feel. The Cadets have always been a contender but this years show is just not good no matter how you look at it. It started out badly, the changes are both good/bad and there just isn't enough time to fix everything. It has to be disheartening. Of course you can't take anything away from Carolina Crown, Phantom and the rest that are performing well but the Cadets just have a poorly put together show this year.

and in other news... media outlets are reporting tonight that Michael Jordan has finally decided to retire from the NBA.

I can just imagine how disheartened Chicago Bulls fans and Michael Jordan fans must feel right now with this news.

Edited by BRASSO

but these were decisions i made for myself as a teenager and young adult, and they are certainly not all the sorts of decisions i would make on behalf of a group of teenagers whose well being i was responsible for for a summer. there's a pretty big difference between being 19 and willing to take on exhaustion and heatstroke just to prove you're as strong and worthy as the vets standing on the line next you and being 40 and pushing a bunch of kids to do it so you can pull off a little more in your show and get ego points at the winter staff meetings. it's about maturity, and putting others needs ahead of yours, and being willing to tell someone to rein it in a little before they hurt themselves or someone else by being more enthusiastic than smart.

I'll just say again that I think you really have the wrong idea about what the Cadets organization is like, or what goes on during those long rehearsal days. Nobody is getting heatstroke or going into the hospital. The staff is definitely mindful of the physical limits of the performers. They're very serious about stretching, PT, water breaks, snacks and the other things you need to make it through a strenuous day without injury.

Maybe you should go watch them rehearse sometime? I think you'd come away with a really different perspective on what they do and why they do it.