Murfressboro Mess Hall

and why stop at 7 ?

There will be a couple of Corps that won't make Finals this year, that not too long ago, would have made top 12 based upon the demand, complexity, and the design of the show in of itself.

I stand corrected, ALL the corps this year are great and have made big improvements. In my mind last year there was a big line between top 7 the rest of the field. As I was writing, I was thinking that SCV was 7th going into finals last year and moved up to 5th. Yet I loved Bluecoats that were in 7th.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said more than a few times to build a program the music has to capture the fans, then improvments in technicality and cleanliness and the corp should be more competitive with the top 7. Crown and Bluecoats have done this and made their way into the elites backyard. The corps below the top seven would be wise to follow.

Agreed. We all know that visual has become a huge part of the activity and deservedly so. But if you can build the fan base and following with a great musical product to complement the visual design, you will be on your way.

I believe this to be examples of why groups like Spirit and Madison may not have been as strong as of late. Their traditionally strong music roots have gone away a bit and have both lost some of the fan base support.

Then look at a corps like Blue Stars who have built their base back up again with quality music offerings and are beginning to see the benefits competitively.

Just my thoughts as a musician and one who hears before he sees..

Before the show, I said that Murfreesboro is a "writing on the wall" kind of event, that the results will likely indicate who's going to catch who tomorrow. If I'm going to stick with that, then it looks like Phantom's going to move into second tomorrow night.

I think you're right, and I have said it before and will say it again, I think Phantom is going to win the title. They need to clean, and that is no easy task. The Blue Devils are amazing, but I believe if the Regiment is clean, it's OVER!!! Title No. 2!

The rest is hard to figure. I really though Bluecoats would score higher tonight, and I think they have the goods to take on Cadets, and maybe even get close to the Cavaliers.

Cadets are also hard to figure. They can max it out like anyone, but I think their show, with the narration, has likely undergone too many revisions and that can sometimes hurt.

SCV is sitting in 7th, but they could also clean and move up.

Oh well, the top 7 are just super once again, and I think the top 12, heck top 20, will be one of the stronger lineups we have seen in a long time. Maybe stronger than last year.

Go BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

JW

Any word from folks at the show about changes to any of the shows? Do The Cavaliers have a new ending? Does Phantom murder more slaves? Did The Cadets really water down the narration? Is SCV really that far back in cleaning their show?

Just curious...

Edited by Gray3

And they were on FIRE in that '05 Finals Night. Despite the placement ,they were one of the top 3 Corps in crowd response at the end.

So, as far as the fans were concerned anyway, 'O5 was a HUGE success for SCV.

Absolutely true !!

Geoffrey

PS: Remember 08 Patriots ??? Why, remember 82 and 94 Blue Devils

I think you're right, and I have said it before and will say it again, I think Phantom is going to win the title. They need to clean, and that is no easy task. The Blue Devils are amazing, but I believe if the Regiment is clean, it's OVER!!! Title No. 2!

I pull for the Cavaliers every year, so I'd love to see them win; but if Phantom can come through and win their first ever stand-alone title, I don't think any drum corps fan out there wouldn't be happy to see that happen.

Wow.

Colour me surprised...pleasantly so.

As much as I like the Cavaliers these days, I can't deny that it bugs me that my former corps hasn't been able to beat them since 1997. It would be nice if it could happen this year.

Of course...if Regiment wins (or Crown for that matter), watch for all the new posters coming out of the woodwork suddenly decrying the very system that has benefited their favourite corps for the past 20 years. :worthy:

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Actually, what I can totally see happening is another heartbreaking close finish for Regiment. I can only hope I am wrong. First things first...take down Cavies tomorrow night, boys! (Sorry, Mike :laughing: )

Absolutely true !!

Geoffrey

PS: Remember 08 Patriots ??? Why, remember 82 and 94 Blue Devils

Remeber what you'd like. I'm just sayin...