Can Phantom win?

Look, it's simple really, mask the feet problems by going to black pants. Cavies didn't win DCI until they got rid of that excessively wide "white stripe" down the side, and you haven't seen it since. White exposes far more than black, it’s just unfortunate that instead of the judges actually giving them credit for choosing to expose errors (rather than hide behind black), they hack them apart. In white, you have to be ten times cleaner than corps wearing black, IMO. Besides, the Roman legion didn't wear white pants! IMO, stick the Regiment in Stars 1991 stye uniforms (sans the white pants) and BD would be looking up at them like a slave to its master.

Riiiight, that's why BD has been making a concerted effort to ADD white to it's uniform the past two years...

In my opinion, a corps wearing nothing but white has as much of an advantage as a corps wearing all black; when the corps is bucnhed together, everythhing blends together. Meanwhile, corps like Blue Devils have created contrast on their uniform such their visual mistakes would stick out more, but OBVIOUSLY they are hiding their errors. :thumbup:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riiiight, that's why BD has been making a concerted effort to ADD white to it's uniform the past two years...

In my opinion, a corps wearing nothing but white has as much of an advantage as a corps wearing all black; when the corps is bucnhed together, everythhing blends together. Meanwhile, corps like Blue Devils have created contrast on their uniform such their visual mistakes would stick out more, but OBVIOUSLY they are hiding their errors. :thumbup:

You're kidding right? A completely white uniform Vs a small white whatever you call it is no comparison. Put BD in all white, and chances are they would be getting hacked in visual too. Rather than go negative toward BD, all I'll say is this, white exposes your errors to a greater degree than black, thus the need to be exceedingly cleaner in the marching department than corps wearing black. Whatever it is called that BD added, if you took it away it would have no impact.

I thought BD added the white to emphasize one of their strengths...marching.

Does it? Are you sitting there going, "WOW that itty bitty speck of white REALLY makes a difference." I don't think so.

I hate sounding like a "basher" because I'm not. I'm a realist. I've seen BD once. I was actually very surprised at how often they simply walked or ran to their next spot without any thought to, say it with me now, "transition." That takes no talent at all, and unless they filled the dozen or so transition-less sections with actual drill, what's so hard about it? My singular viewing did not impress me either visually or musically. Then again, I haven't REALLY liked many BD shows since 1988. (which was awesome)

So, call me a basher if you'd like. But we all have different tastes, and this show doesn't do it for ME! Just to show I'm not a BD "hater," I also didn't care for Star '93 which, for whatever reason, has achieved "cult status" here on DCP.

Edited by Rocketman

I thought BD added the white to emphasize one of their strengths...marching.

Exactly. BD has always marched very, very, well. Remember 1988 when they wore the gray bucks? Those gray bucks hurt them. The next year, I believe they wore those bucks that the college marching bands wear, the white/blacks ones, to show off their feet more.

I think it makes a pretty big difference over the all black, actually, Rocketman. The all black hides the uniformity that is almost always there in movement. It's something that I had been hoping for from BD for the past decade. Anything to break up that all black. A single white line is a pretty big contrast to all black...and the fact that there's continuity of that white line to the upper body is pretty great, too. Makes a big difference for me. Glad to see them accentuating their strength.

Does it? Are you sitting there going, "WOW that itty bitty speck of white REALLY makes a difference." I don't think so.

I hate sounding like a "basher" because I'm not. I'm a realist. I've seen BD once. I was actually very surprised at how often they simply walked or ran to their next spot without any thought to, say it with me now, "transition." That takes no talent at all, and unless they filled the dozen or so transition-less sections with actual drill, what's so hard about it? My singular viewing did not impress me either visually or musically. Then again, I haven't REALLY liked many BD shows since 1988. (which was awesome)

So, call me a basher if you'd like. But we all have different tastes, and this show doesn't do it for ME! Just to show I'm not a BD "hater," I also didn't care for Star '93 which, for whatever reason, has achieved "cult status" here on DCP.

lol. I didn't realize that discussing an added white stripe to a uniform would generate this kind of response, but given how unambiguous you've been in the past about how much you don't like BD, I'm not terribly surprised. Nothing wrong with opinions. Keep them coming.

And yeah, Phantom can win. I'd love to see them jump up to at least 2nd, and I think that's a lot more plausible than winning, but if they won, I'd be a happy camper.

Which is exactly why, despite being able to compare like components of execution (feet / tone / balance / clarity of sound / ensemble cohesion), drum corps is primarily a subjective sport.

We all have different tastes.

:thumbup:

Black Pants, White Pants, I am not sure this is really much of an issue with the top 4 corps. The reason they are the top 4 corps is alot to do with their marching ability, and if there is more than a 2 tenths difference in scoring over the clean feet/dirty feet issue, then it seems like that is a staff problem during rehearsal more than the color of the pants.

Now, with 11 days until finals, can Phantom win? Possibly, but I would put more money on them placing 5th than 1st.

Why?

1st, I don't see them beating Blue Devils. The shows are on different levels, both on performance and design.

2nd, I don't see them beating Cavaliers. Once again, Cavaliers are a little stronger in every level except maybe percussion(well, marching drums, as far as the pit, I think Cavaliers have the best pit in DCI)

As for 3rd, I don't know if they can even hold off Cadets or Crown. Crown has proven they can compete easily with Phantom, and have been trading spots with them for the last few weeks. Granted, Phantom usually comes off stronger during the last 2 weeks, but Crown has really been improving the last few years. I honestly think the momentum of the crowd this year at finals could really have a positive effect on Crown, more so than on Phantom. At the shows I have been at Crown has been the crowd favorite.

And with Cadets, they have always been one of the strongest corps finishing come finals week. This year, the show is a wreck so far, but you pull a little more narration out, add a little more visual, and let the brass blast you a little more, and you have the show with most potential to increase in score the last 10 days.