BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

I can't get used to the Blue Stars in skakos anymore than I could get used to the Blue Devils in Aussies. Sorry, but it just doesn't fit the history, tradition or image. It's not like when the Bridgemen reinvented themselves by going from the cadet style uni's to the long yellow coats. This might turn out to be a mistake, but we'll see.

Edited by Piper

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get used to the Blue Stars in skakos anymore than I could get used to the Blue Devils in Aussies. Sorry, but it just doesn't fit the history, tradition or image. It's not like when the Bridgemen reinvented themselves by going from the cadet style uni's to the long yellow coats. This might turn out to be a mistake, but we'll see.

um, no not a mistake......very smart move

put a shako on, march 8 to 5's across a field at say 185 bpm's. Then put the egg head on and do the same.Then tell what helmet is better?

Edited by joeb

post-40-1217097614.jpg

Well. That's a change of pace.

I'm surprised they're blue.

Well. That's a change of pace.

I'm surprised they're blue.

I'm glad they are blue. I wish they would have gone with all-dark blue pants instead of all-white pants this year. Up until the new helmuts, there wasn't that much "Blue" about the Blue Stars. From above they look like the White Stars.

um, no not a mistake......very smart move

put a shako on, march 8 to 5's across a field at say 185 bpm's. Then put the egg head on and do the same.Then tell what helmet is better?

Again....what makes it so much more difficult with the Blue Stars' domes compared to Regiment's helmets -- especially LAST year?

If it's something that could be solved by a re-design, I'd rather see the helmets than shakos....

Personally the only corps I've ever liked helmets on was Phantom. I'll probably take some flack from my Blue Stars brethren from saying that but so be it. With the new uni's the helmets just didn't fit. They were a nightmare to secure on heads, and created too much overall white with the uniform. I think the new lids are extremely sharp and much more fitting for the current uniform. Whoever decided to do this gets a raise.

Whoever decided to do this gets a raise.

I have no idea how long a change like this takes, but if you decide to order new helmuts, how far in advance do you have to place the order to receive them? I highly doubt they are sitting on a shelf waiting to have the appropriate corps logo/emblem applied before delivery.

Again....what makes it so much more difficult with the Blue Stars' domes compared to Regiment's helmets -- especially LAST year?

If it's something that could be solved by a re-design, I'd rather see the helmets than shakos....

... and the guard back in hot pants while they're at it, thank you very much ...

Personally the only corps I've ever liked helmets on was Phantom. I'll probably take some flack from my Blue Stars brethren from saying that but so be it. With the new uni's the helmets just didn't fit. They were a nightmare to secure on heads, and created too much overall white with the uniform. I think the new lids are extremely sharp and much more fitting for the current uniform. Whoever decided to do this gets a raise.

Exactly right. We have a stellar staff working very hard to get us in the top 12 and keep our organization healthy. We didn't hire them to keep things at status quo...we hired them to find the combination that takes us all the way to the top, and this is just exactly what they are doing. They obviously know what they are doing, so lets let them do that and enjoy the season living vicariously thru our current members.

I'm sure there was much discussion and consideration in the Blue Stars camp about this significant visual change, and as mentioned several times here it was probably a good move from a functionality standpoint as well.

The only part of it that's hard to take for this old schooler (and probably many others...) is watching so many corps opt to give up what were unique and very distinctive looks that separated them from everyone else. One always new just by looking at a corps that it was:

The Blue Stars

The Colts

The Crossmen

The Blue Devils

IMO they have gone to what boils down to the same uniform in a different color, the way I see it. Oh sure... I know, the design! The design! Still... same uniform, different colors to me, especially when the corps is not wearing their headgear. Then you can really see what I'm saying. Just my opinion.

Boy, I hope Santa Clara Vanguard doesn't switch to shakos... :cool: