BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

You had to figure this was coming. I missed the live part of the broadcast, and the archive is in hi-cam only, so I can't really see what they look like on the field. But if it helps them competitively, good on them. The Blue Stars' tradition of excellence and class remains!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My son has marched with the Blue Stars the past two years. He likes the new shakos... they are soooo much easier to keep on straight and he thinks they look much better.

As one who marched in the old helmets,something definitely did need to change. a lot of alums might have wanted the change to be a new helmet, but this is still better than the old helmets i think.. there were lots of issues with the old ones.

I guess the gas crunch didn't effect the Blue Stars.... they have enough money to buy new shakos.

Maybe they were donated.

So many other corps are begging for fuel donations this time of year.

They were donated.

They were donated.

And I'm betting even if they weren't they could have had them paid for in almost no time because there are a ton of alumni who want to buy the old helmets.

Really, even if this is a big change, it had to be made. Look at alot of the pictures taken of the Stars. Helmets laying on the backs of collars, falling off foreheads, sliding all around. I was there when the crew was trying their best to fit them tight and thought in the back of my mind that something really has to change.

Its still the Blue Stars.

I loved the helments as well, however, the helmets have been a huge issue ...keeping them on (dispite new inserts being put in), adjusting them, etc... What many may also not know is the helments are in very poor shape and difficult to maintain. Many of them are broken/severly cracked, the black piping is difficult to replace and fit, and the chain continues to be very difficult to keep adjusted....esp. for horn players running around the field. I have not seen the new shakoes in person, so I can not comment on how they actually look or if a different version of a helmet would have worked or not. But, something clearly needed to be done so as to look clean, and not be so distracting to the quality of the memebers playing!!! My hope is this will not distract from a great show, year, and members who are putting their hearts and souls into it. To me, the Blue Stars are about much more than a uniform...but the values and life lessons it teaches all those who are involved with the organization.

FCO!!!

Brian, 79,80,81

Edited by brians

I loved the helments as well, however, the helmets have been a huge issue ...keeping them on (dispite new inserts being put in), adjusting them, etc... What many may also not know is the helments are in very poor shape and difficult to maintain. Many of them are broken/severly cracked, the black piping is difficult to replace and fit, and the chain continues to be very difficult to keep adjusted....esp. for horn players running around the field. I have not seen the new shakoes in person, so I can not comment on how they actually look or if a different version of a helmet would have worked or not. But, something clearly needed to be done so as to look clean, and not be so distracting to the quality of the memebers playing!!! My hope is this will not distract from a great show, year, and members who are putting their hearts and souls into it. To me, the Blue Stars are about much more than a uniform...but the values and life lessons it teaches all those who are involved with the organization.

FCO!!!

Brian, 79,80,81

ITA. Well said.

FCO!!!

Here's a pic of their new covers:

post-40-1217097614.jpg

My GF said that she thought the helmets looked weird at San Antonio, and I have to agree... Never been a fan... I applaud the move to shakos...