Why are the Corps bashing?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the nature of ALL open Internet message boards in general where competition is involved.

Anyone can be brave hiding anonymously behind a keyboard.

True, however, the anonymity has the added BENEFIT of getting true emotion and feelings that people would otherwise be inclined to "temper" in real life. We may not always like what comes out, but at least we know the person isn't saying one thing and meaning another.

True, however, the anonymity has the added BENEFIT of getting true emotion and feelings that people would otherwise be inclined to "temper" in real life. We may not always like what comes out, but at least we know the person isn't saying one thing and meaning another.

Exactly. An opinion is only an opinion. If you cannot handle an opinion, you have bigger problems in life. Oh, what "Political Correctness" has done to this country.....

I think it is fine for someone to say any corps show is the WORST ever but then I also said it should be said in a way that the reason for saying so is an "opinion" and not in a way that would seem to be fact. Example: the drill was not well thought out, poorly instructed, WORSE THAN THE PREVIOUS YEARS CORPS etc. You like something, I like something and we both do not LIKE something. But to go on this forum and trash a corps because of personal opinion and not based on the actual performance of each corps is shameful.

I'd have to infer that any halfway intelligent individual would recognize something labeled as "worst" or "best" to be an opinion. I mean, 99% of this board is opinion. I don't necessarily understand why that's shameful. :tongue: It's human nature to gravitate toward a "favorite" and back that group with an emotional investment (reference my previous post). Personally, I think this is a GOOD thing. I know we live in a "PC" world, but the only way to quell this sort of thing is to have everyone so doped up on Ritalin that they don't care enough to have an opinion....that's about the only alternative.

Opinions are a good thing! Everyone pull their panties out of their crack and quit getting so worked up over who said what about who. If you're going to waste the time crying "foul", then jump into the fray and have it out. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I'd have to infer that any halfway intelligent individual would recognize something labeled as "worst" or "best" to be an opinion. I mean, 99% of this board is opinion. I don't necessarily understand why that's shameful. :tongue: It's human nature to gravitate toward a "favorite" and back that group with an emotional investment (reference my previous post). Personally, I think this is a GOOD thing. I know we live in a "PC" world, but the only way to quell this sort of thing is to have everyone so doped up on Ritalin that they don't care enough to have an opinion....that's about the only alternative.

Opinions are good thing! Everyone pull their panties out of their crack and quit getting so worked up over who said what about who. If you're going to waste the time crying "foul", then jump into the fray and have it out. Otherwise, just ignore it and move on.

Well said! MYNWA by the way.....

The boards are about opinions and ideas. Who gives a rip if someone doesn't like one of the years I marched, it's their opinion. I could care less. I would have problems if I let opinions bother me.

For instance, it's my opinion that Blue Devils is the most successful Drum Corps ever. Someone else may hate BD. I don't care. I hate all the commentating during the Cadets show. Some may love it. WHO CARES!?!?!?

Don't let opinions bother you so much bro!!

You've got it right buddy. But the thread really has more to do with someone giving a personal opinion in such a way as to make sound like it's "educated", "professionally justified", or otherwise should just be accepted by ALL who read it as fact. In other words all the rest of us are so stupid as to not know good (or bad) drum corps when we see it. NO ONE has to agree with my views on drum corps one way or the other. It's just my opinion. That's all it is.

You've got it right buddy. But the thread really has more to do with someone giving a personal opinion in such a way as to make sound like it's "educated", "professionally justified", or otherwise should just be accepted by ALL who read it as fact. In other words all the rest of us are so stupid as to not know good (or bad) drum corps when we see it. NO ONE has to agree with my views on drum corps one way or the other. It's just my opinion. That's all it is.

I agree with you that people should have civilized opinions, debates, etc..

Honestly, I have not seen all that much bashing. Just good honest opinion, and you're going to have that on any given year. In regards to the OP and his view, well taken I might add, but The Cadets are not being bashed as much as people might think. People are being critical, but that's a good thing. The Cadets invite that sort of thing, and they are used to it. When you perform shows that are controversial in nature, perhaps somewhat challenging to the senses of what most fans see as "drum corps," it's bound to happen that you invite such criticism.

But criticism is not bashing. I don't think I have seen anyone say "Cadets suck" or poke fun at their staff or members. Even George Hopkins does not get bashed in my view. He takes some criticism, for he is the leader, and yet I think we all have a healthy respect for the guy. He is no dummy, and many of his ideas have been excellent, and his corps has been a model for the activity in numerous ways (funding, marketing, performance, leadership, staffing, you name it).

The Cadets have, by in large, been a top 3 corps, or in that ball park, for many years, so it's not out of character for people to question what they are doing now from a design standpoint.

All the comments, concerns, criticism, and honest opinion is good for the activity, and all the corps that are at the brunt of those remarks.

Having said that, I would still watch out for the Cadets this year. They have the demand and performance levels to take the show up another notch or two, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see them finish 3rd, although I think 4th might be the best they can do.

But...here's hoping Bluecoats pass them! :)

JW